After years of pondering, I've finally decided what my first HW synth will be.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some time ago, I asked for recommendations for my first analog synthesizer in the sub-€500 price range around here. I got quite a range of choices back then, and from there, I started narrowing it down.

Now, 2-3 years later, I've come to the conclusion that my first hardware synth is going to be the Korg Minilogue.

The reason I ended up choosing the Minilogue is that it seems to have an impressive range of sound capabilities while having an interface that doesn't look intimidating. That and because it just looks cool. I even had the chance to demo it a few weeks while I was in Glasgow, but for reasons unbeknownst to myself, I passed it up.

Now it's just a matter of scrounging up some money, and with enough luck, I'll be making closer acquaintance with the Minilogue by August.

No idea why I felt the need to write this, but I guess you're welcome to rate my choice if you wish to do so.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Have fun with it. :tu:

For me, the issue always has been the range of sound. With 430 € i would pay for a Blfofeld, which is a nice, inexpensive synth with enough sonic power, i can get 3 or 4 soft synths, which give me a much better operation, as many instances as my CPU can take, and loads of polyphone i won't have with the Blofeld, as it only has 25 voices. And, with analog synths, there's always the issue of monophony, and the limitations of the architecture.

Anyway, you're not me, so, i guess you have other views and demands on that topic.

Have you been considering between the current minilogue or the XD-version?

gaf_thit wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:27 pm Have you been considering between the current minilogue or the XD-version?
Just the regular Minilogue.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Have you tried Deep Mind 6?

perfumer wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:23 pm Have you tried Deep Mind 6?
No, but I did consider it.
My solo projects:

What made you decide to opt for the standard Mini rather than the XD? I've been eyeing the XD module since it was announced, but am curious to hear your take. Either way congrats on the decision!

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:23 pm
perfumer wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:23 pm Have you tried Deep Mind 6?
No, but I did consider it.
I love my Deepmind 6. So versatile with it amazing fx suite.

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:49 pm
gaf_thit wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:27 pm Have you been considering between the current minilogue or the XD-version?
Just the regular Minilogue.
I would definitely go for the XD over the original if money isn't an issue. Only downsides I can think of, aside from being a bit more expensive, are that on XD you lose the filter modes of the original, and the filter envelope is AD instead of ADSR. On the flipside, I think the filter on the XD sounds a lot better. Everything else is better on the XD. You get the programmable digital oscillator, pitch/modulation joystick instead of pitch bend lever, 16 buttons for the sequencer instead of having to switch pages... I think there are more but that's what I remember without checking.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:08 pm with analog synths, there's always the issue of monophony
Hmmmm.. 🤔

... in that price range. ;)

other people will have their own ideas, what counts is that you feel it!

as for the whole eek mono! yeah? so?
not every synth needs unlimited voices, you want pads? use software, you want fat bass that shakes your neighbours teeth out of their sockets? big fat analogue mono synth!!! :band:

may you have years pleasuring one another 8)

scaremony wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:49 pm What made you decide to opt for the standard Mini rather than the XD?
It was mostly a matter of price and the fact that the XD was only released not long ago. The original Minilogue was already out by the time I started seriously looking into hardware synths, which kinda helped in setting my preferred price point as well.
My solo projects:

I've always wanted one just for the microtuning capabilities. Enjoy!

dkingkong wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:48 pm I've always wanted one just for the microtuning capabilities. Enjoy!
The Minilogue has no microtuning capabilities, the Minilogue XD and the Monologue do. Does anyone know if you have to set the Minilogue XD to a User Scale prior to sending it MTS messages, like the Monologue? The Korg microtuning implementation is poor compared to some others (for example, the Micromonsta, which accepts both MTS Bulk Dump and single note changes any time and very quickly).

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”