Steinberg & Windows Update

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every time the same crap if there is a new update for Windows. :x :x
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Care to elaborate?

Once or twice after a Win update, I had to run 'Maintenance' in the licenser.
A bit scary the first time it happens and you don't see your licenses listed.
Not a big deal if you know it might happen though. More just a little aggravating.
Last edited by felis on Sun May 26, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I had to do that as well, on the last 2 upgrades. But, i'm not sure if he means that, or something else.

You know... in my opinion, Microsoft should abandon the half yearly upgrade, or even yearly upgrade policy, and, at best, should do upgrades every 2 years, if even. They just anger people with that, and, especially people who are not very computer affine, and can't help themselves, when there are issues. The kind of "bleeding edge" policy they're running won't be good for them in the long run.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:58 pm Care to elaborate?
Of course

After the installation came the message that the driver for my Steinberg USB interface is not found. So uninstall the driver that was still on the disk, reboot Windows, reinstall drivers, reboot Windows. New reported Cubase that the eLizencer is not found. Reinstall the driver, restart Windlows, restart Cubase, wait until everything has been scanned and found again. I hate that.
I still have Reaper. You may like to guess what problems I had with it. This always happens with a Windows Update. :x :x
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Oh, yeah... i always have to reinstall the driver for my UR interfaces as well. :)

The issue is, though, that Steinberg/Yamaha don't fix that. They should know by now that a Windows upgrade is like a reinstall of the OS.

felis wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:05 pm Once or twice after a Win update, I had to run 'Maintenance' in the licenser.
Indeed - all you usually need to get a soft eLicenser working again after a Windows version update is to run eLicenser Control Center as Administrator and run the Maintenance procedure. Once you know what to do, it takes seconds and no reinstallation should be necessary. It is something of a 'heart in mouth' moment to see a soft eLicenser with several expensive products (in my case, Dorico Pro 2 and Iconica Ensembles) disabled, though!

Steinberg are developing a new licensing system - there have been numerous mentions of this in the Steinberg forums. In particular, it looks as if they are working on periodic online verification as an alternative to a USB eLicenser. The signs are that no imminent changes can be expected.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:38 pm Oh, yeah... i always have to reinstall the driver for my UR interfaces as well. :)
I have an RME interface, so I'm spared that joy!

David W wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:00 pm
felis wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:05 pm Once or twice after a Win update, I had to run 'Maintenance' in the licenser.
Indeed - all you usually need to get a soft eLicenser working again after a Windows version update is to run eLicenser Control Center as Administrator and run the Maintenance procedure. Once you know what to do, it takes seconds and no reinstallation should be necessary. It is something of a 'heart in mouth' moment to see a soft eLicenser with several expensive products (in my case, Dorico Pro 2 and Iconica Ensembles) disabled, though!

Steinberg are developing a new licensing system - there have been numerous mentions of this in the Steinberg forums. In particular, it looks as if they are working on periodic online verification as an alternative to a USB eLicenser. The signs are that no imminent changes can be expected.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:38 pm Oh, yeah... i always have to reinstall the driver for my UR interfaces as well. :)
I have an RME interface, so I'm spared that joy!
Any idea what happens in this scenario if your music computer is offline? Would you still have the elicenser usb option available?

Arcvidean.

eLicenser needs online for the initial activation as well. Just saying.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:06 pm eLicenser needs online for the initial activation as well. Just saying.
You can move your usb elicenser to another computer though.

Arcvidean

Most of the blame is likely not with Steinberg here - other than assuming their customers are thieves and, thus, require "the dongle". If they're at fault it's mainly in failing to anticipate the issues Microsoft's "Windows 10 path" would cause and (wakey wakey Steinberg) will likely continue to cause customers.

Microsoft's main "focus" is not on regular consumers, except as a tool to enable whatever agendas they and their backers seek through various means and data collection. So any and all pleas for a more complete change, from them, will likely continue to be ignored on the consumer front.

Short of never using newer versions, or an alternative OS, your only "escape" to return Windows to the way it once was (IE Proper opt-outs of user data collection, more complete control over what's updated and when, and no idiotic 6 month OS upgrade cycles) is to find a way to use the so-called LTSB (long time service branch) version of Windows. It's pretty disgraceful that Microsoft continue to refuse to make these versions, which are arguably more suitable for DAW usage, easier for regular end users to buy. God forbid they give you a way to fully escape OS data collection too, eh Microsoft?

I would be surprised (then again, maybe not so much) if Steinberg don't drop the dongle requirement, and the most obvious time frame for that to happen would be when they ditch Windows 7 (likely at version 11). It will be interesting to see if they drop official Windows 7 support at 10.5, given it falls out of support by January.

In doing that they can ditch the driver level stuff which will remove these problems whilst potentially improving the stability and speed of the program.

PAK wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:21 pm assuming their customers are thieves and, thus, require "the dongle".
So it never occurs to you that the belief is just that there *are* thieves in this world (a fact easily enough noticed) rather than specifically "their customers" are the problem. Don't do too much.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 26, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I expect the same problems as with any major update ;)
(eLicenser and UR Audio Interfaces)

"ditch the driver level stuff which will remove these problems"

the notion of maintaining a DAW on a machine that never connects to the internet is rather a special (self-inflicted) problem and I would suppose such a need recognizes the inherent hassle of it per se. Other than that, the problem amounts to downloading the current e-licenser if not present and installing it. Big fugging deal.

I wouldn't notice if there is even the same problem w. OSX because I have to pretty much keep e-licenser up-to-date as a matter of course.

So Steinberg and Windows collaborating on a VST Instrument is the reason you are posting in the Instruments forum? :clown:

Or because you are too lazy to post this in to offtopic? :lol:

Return to “Instruments”