New pc not performing in FL Studio RESOLVED

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Earlier this year I ditched my 7year old PC and purchased a stronger faster PC,I5 9400,16gbRam,250gb SSD with a 2tb hard drive,windows 10 and 1660ti graphics card

I would have thought I could throw anything at it but 2instances of Arturias Piano V2,2 instances of Hive,4 instances of Korg M1,1 instance of Rob Papens Blue2 and it's overloading the CPU in FL Studio, I'm not talking mega sounds,pianos,strings,Choir,bass nothing big
I use FL asio drivers at default settings
Is there any way round this or am I best upgrading the CPU to an I7?
Last edited by Martkorg on Tue May 28, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maybe your soundcard matters too

The soundcard is a Creative SB z which was bundled with the machine,previous pc used the onboard sound

u could get an i7, if it will fit your socket
- and get a prosumer soundcard
try that if u like

--also have a look in task manager that some process is not using unwanted CPU

damn man, that's not what upgrades are about

According to the FL site I read that looking in task manager isn't a true representation of FL usage,but whilst the track was breaking up and redlining I tabbed out to task manager,12% CPU was being used
Yeah I could get an I7 on this motherboard the 9400 I believe is Gen12 the latest Intel ,6core,I7 I believe is 12 core

AFAIK FL monitors DSP capacity, so yeah, redlining and breaking up is accurately shown by FL

If you get a new processor, make sure the thermal gel is right- check the cooling

12 core will help- but core speed does matter too in audio, as we cannot do much parallel processing. Go for speed too, 4ghz would be a nice thing for substantial tracks, and heavy generators

edit-I'm just the man off the street, no expert. I've been doing computer audio since 2000

Martkorg wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:06 pm

I would have thought I could throw anything at it but 2instances of Arturias Piano V2,2 instances of Hive,4 instances of Korg M1,1 instance of Rob Papens Blue2 and it's overloading the CPU in FL Studio, I'm not talking mega sounds,pianos,strings,Choir,bass nothing big
I use FL asio drivers at default settings
Could your old computer handle all that ?
Maybe try different settings.

I don't know the other plugs, but are you using 32 channels of midi to the M1's?

Firstly the 9400 is rated at 2.9ghz but boosts to 4.5ghz when needed if I remember right
Secondly no the previous pc couldnt do that,hence the upgrade,I've isolated the tracks and suppose I shouldn't be surprised,The Korg M1 vst X 4 ,CPU line hardly moves,Hive X2 30% and Arturia V6 Piano X 2 on its own using 40%,mmmm,on top of that Blue2

M1 32 channels of Midi? Sorry it's the M1 vst uses hardly any CPU 4instances and about 5%

Martkorg wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:48 pm M1 32 channels of Midi? Sorry it's the M1 vst uses hardly any CPU 4instances and about 5%
:dog: Never use it in 'Prog' mode ( others 4 * 8 = 32 possible)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meant 4 instruments
:-)

nix808 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:14 pm maybe your soundcard matters too
+1 sounds like a lousy driver performance

Which buffer size do you use?

Also did you optimized your system for audio?

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... Windows-10

Martkorg wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:48 pm Firstly the 9400 is rated at 2.9ghz but boosts to 4.5ghz when needed if I remember right
That in itself isn't magical. It's going to do that when you really hammer core 1, essentially. Probably not changing anything here, which I would look to the soundblaster as a sound card being little to no better than the onboard per se, if not worse.

Martkorg wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:24 pm The soundcard is a Creative SB z which was bundled with the machine,previous pc used the onboard sound
Well, why are you not using Creative's ASIO drivers then?

wdgthhkghjkyhil
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”