Have you ever had to "motivate" the worthwhileness of musical DSP? How do you do it?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Producing art (broadly defined as giving form to ideas / feelings / impulses) is a precursor for having an ontological strata or material plane of interaction; systems require a medium for it to be realized. Judging the "worthiness" of a medium (in this case, audio DSP) is thus evaluating how various systems such as music, recording/playback/transmission, synthesis, can be realized in the world. For evaluating whether music as a system has value, just ask yourself if it adds to your life experiences in a time-limited world.

soundmodel wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:16 pm I think artists and aestheticians should feel guilty about being too "pleasure-seeking".
Anyone who tells me I should feel guilty, should feel guilty for trying to make me feel guilty... That is the business model of dictators and mind f**kers like religious “leaders”
But guilty for what? God wanted us to have pleasure. Pleasure is truth, nothing else comes closer... Its not the rational idea of truth, its feeling the truth...

people who dont seek pleasure or to please others should feel guilty for not knowing how to live.

strange post tbh.
is this how cults start?

as we are mixing puters and the religion...

https://youtu.be/hgDE8gh-hdk

Interesting conversation.

I like to think of art as a means of communicating ideas not easily expressed in normal speech or writing (as suggested by nonnaci, above). Would anyone argue that communication is a waste of time?

In my experience, 99% of communication is nothing but a waste of time, despite the noblest of intentions. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that people use communication primarily to waste time.
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:17 pmGod wanted us to have pleasure. Pleasure is truth, nothing else comes closer... Its not the rational idea of truth, its feeling the truth...
Rubbish. Pleasure is nothing but hedonistic self-indulgence. It is irrelevant, hollow and largely unfulfilling. The only truth it reveals is the truth of one's worthlessness.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

soundmodel wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:21 amSome people view that "art" or music is "not very important", since it's not needed for survival, it doesn't cure illnesses etc. That it seems "less important" compared to some other "supposedly 'more substantial'" endeavors.

So how do you go past this kind of criticism?
By not giving a flying fig what "some people" think. I do what I do because it is want I need to do. Other people don't come into it at all. If "some people" have a problem with it, that is definitely their problem, not mine.

I have never understood why people feel that the things they do in their lives need to matter. It makes no sense. Our lives have no more meaning and purpose than the life of an elatior begonia or a bearded tit. Basically any and everything you do is simply a means of passing the time until you die. How could it be otherwise?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:53 am In my experience, 99% of communication is nothing but a waste of time, despite the noblest of intentions. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that people use communication primarily to waste time.
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:17 pmGod wanted us to have pleasure. Pleasure is truth, nothing else comes closer... Its not the rational idea of truth, its feeling the truth...
Rubbish. Pleasure is nothing but hedonistic self-indulgence. It is irrelevant, hollow and largely unfulfilling. The only truth it reveals is the truth of one's worthlessness.
What a waste of time to write “Rubbish”... Or do you consider your posts belong to the 1%?
(Pleasure is the opposite of unfulfilling btw...)

BONES wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:53 am In my experience, 99% of communication is nothing but a waste of time, despite the noblest of intentions. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that people use communication primarily to waste time.
I'm inclined to agree with this, and it could be said that the same is true of "art" (in its broadest sense) - it is mostly a matter of personal opinion. However, it is sometimes possible to be uplifted by something someone says or a piece of music or a painting. For me, this can elevate life above just survival.

And what is the problem if art is nothing more than a way to fill in the hours between the time you are born and the time you die? If that's what you want to do, or need to do, then you do it.
Tj Shredder wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:23 am(Pleasure is the opposite of unfulfilling btw...)
No, you have it arse-backwards. Fulfillment is pleasurable, pleasure is not fulfilling. When I finish an album, it is a very fulfilling time, yet I get no pleasure whatsoever from the process. It is hard, unenjoyable work that gives me fulfillment and that fulfillment is pleasurable because I earned it. Fulfillment unearned is not particularly pleasurable at all.

BONES wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:29 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:23 am(Pleasure is the opposite of unfulfilling btw...)
No, you have it arse-backwards. Fulfillment is pleasurable, pleasure is not fulfilling. When I finish an album, it is a very fulfilling time, yet I get no pleasure whatsoever from the process. It is hard, unenjoyable work that gives me fulfillment and that fulfillment is pleasurable because I earned it. Fulfillment unearned is not particularly pleasurable at all.
Interesting point of view. One is for composers/producers, the other for improvisors... Anyway I am happy both ways...

Although I disagree with his antagonistic point of view, you could always appeal to authority and quote Allan Bloom:

"The greatest men are not the knowers but the artists, the Homers, Dantes, Raphaels and Beethovens. Art is not imitation of nature but liberation from nature. A man who can generate visions of a cosmos and ideals by which to live is a genius, a mysterious, demonic being. Such a man's greatest work of art is himself. He who can take his person, a chaos of impressions and desires, a thing whose very unity is doubtful, and give it order and unity, is a personality. All of this results from the free activity of his spirit and his will. He contains in himself the elements of the legislator and the prophet, and has a deeper grasp of the true character of things than the contemplatives, philosophers, and scientists, who take the given order as permanent and fail to understand man."

Allan Bloom. The Closing of the American Mind: How Higher Education Has Failed Democracy and Impoverished the Souls of Today's Students. Simon and Schuster, 1987, page 180.

Again, there is this desperate need to achieve greatness. I'm not buyin' it.

DaveClark wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:49 pm
"The greatest men are not the knowers but the artists, the Homers, Dantes, Raphaels and Beethovens. Art is not imitation of nature but liberation from nature. A man who can generate visions of a cosmos and ideals by which to live is a genius, a mysterious, demonic being. Such a man's greatest work of art is himself. He who can take his person, a chaos of impressions and desires, a thing whose very unity is doubtful, and give it order and unity, is a personality. All of this results from the free activity of his spirit and his will. He contains in himself the elements of the legislator and the prophet, and has a deeper grasp of the true character of things than the contemplatives, philosophers, and scientists, who take the given order as permanent and fail to understand man."
What a pompous sounding twat

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”