Korg SQD-1 midi recorder from 1986 - Demo/workflow/tutorial

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a real sucker for old sequencers. Even with lots of limitations, using this stuff really sets my creativity on fire and in the end, that's what really matters.
Making music the same way each time isn't for me and when I get my hands on something like this Korg SQD-1, with a simple 2-track system, coarse auto-correct and rudimentary editing, I find these limitations enticing and new ideas bursts into the open. Try it! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKRnFamgNwk

The venerable old Korg Squid-1. I suspect if a person was born after 1990, he might not realize how popular this thing was at the time. It was a monster! Watching this video took me back quite a bit.

My son is really fascinated by the old ways of doing musical production, and this video is an excellent reminder of how we did it back in 1986-1987. I almost bought one of these things myself, but ultimately spend the cash on something else (a couple of sound modules that had a huge, one-day sale discount...couldn't resist). But by the time I saved up enough for my very own SQD-1, I went with a software-based sequencer (Sequencer Plus), instead and never looked back.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! And using the Alpha Juno 2 was also a nice touch.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Hey cool man! And thanks too :)

We have pretty much the same story it would seem. I never did have this myself back then. I had to save up for a while to get my first sequencer and I chose the Alesis MMT-8. Together with the Akai X7000 sampler and a Roland D110 I did quite a lot of gigs around my hometown back then. Those were the days. It's those feelings I try to relive by making tracks these dats with gear from back then. It's so much fun if you're into nostalgia, which I am anyways.. ;-)

Nostalgia tracks me like a hound, closer each day.

If I'm right, you're also a big DW-8000 fan like me.

Watchful wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:07 am Nostalgia tracks me like a hound, closer each day.

If I'm right, you're also a big DW-8000 fan like me.
I like that line, "tracks me like a hound", very PSB-like :)
Yes, I have a DW-8000 and I'm soon releasing a track where it takes center stage.

Looking forward to it. I appreciate your work in front of and behind the music.

back in the day i used one of these, the korg ddd-1, a roland d-10 and a yamaha fb01. having fun getting back into dawless sequencing and am currently using a roland mc-50 which while far more robust, i miss this thing and might have to pick one up. i did re-buy a yamaha fb-01, i have a jv1010 for the roland sounds, and a casio cz-1 for the controller. i also have a roland dm-5 for drum sounds and a zoom micro-rhythm track for whole drum songs and an arturia microbrute and yamaha mx-49 which i don't use much as there's a lot to learn on that machine but the onboard motif sounds were the big selling point there.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”