Through The Void (electro/ambient)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, I hope everyone’s having a productive week...

I’ve got a little number that I’ve been working on for the past few days as I continue my foray into the daunting world of electronic music...have a listen and let me know what you guys think
https://soundcloud.com/fc1985/through-the-void-rough

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 7.5
Mix - 5

Overall - 6.875

Comments: The intro is total mud. You can barely make it out. Needs some serious EQ work. Vocal sample is to low in volume and has no top end. Actually, sounds like the whole track had the top end chopped off. Musically, it's okay but the production is so dull it's hard to get into it.

Thanks for the feedback, but I’m confused about there being no top end...the drums are taking up that space, as well as the piano and FM synth...the way I see it, adding more top would obscure those elements, unless I boost what’s there already...what do you suggest?

My reference is actually some of biosphere’s work on Substrata...I’m not claiming to be anywhere near good as that(!), but it seems that the signature sound on that album is quite dark, with not a tonne of sparkling highs
Last edited by frank1985 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frank1985 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 pm Thanks for the feedback, but I’m confused about there being no top end...the drums are taking up that space, as well as the piano and FM synth...the way I see it, adding more top would obscure those elements, unless I boost what’s there already...what do you suggest?
If you make the track downloadable, I will bring it into Cubase, throw a spectrum analyzer and show you where the problem is.

In layman's terms, the mix is dull. Until I show you where, that's the best I can do.

frank1985 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 pm Thanks for the feedback, but I’m confused about there being no top end...the drums are taking up that space, as well as the piano and FM synth...the way I see it, adding more top would obscure those elements, unless I boost what’s there already...what do you suggest?

My reference is actually some of biosphere’s work on Substrata...I’m not claiming to be anywhere near good as that(!), but it seems that the signature sound on that album is quite dark, with not a tonne of sparkling highs
Let me go listen to their work on Youtube to see if in fact you've captured their sound. If you have, then ignore my comments. Though I doubt their mix is going to sound this dull.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:39 pm
If you make the track downloadable, I will bring it into Cubase, throw a spectrum analyzer and show you where the problem is.

In layman's terms, the mix is dull. Until I show you where, that's the best I can do.
You can download from here http://www.filedropper.com/throughthevoid

Btw, this is the album I was referring to....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3MBMim36E
Also Patashnik, which has more drum elements

The background pads seem quite muffled and dark...but this kind of brings the brighter elements further forward. However the tracks themselves are still quite dark as a whole...

Okay, I listened to some of Biosphere and then turned if off and put your track back on.

I have no idea what happened but apparently something had gone wrong during the initial playback because the 2nd listen sounded completely different. It is possible something was wrong with Soundcloud. I don't know. But suddenly everything is much clearer. In fact, it's very close to Biosphere. Not a big fan of the genre but if you were going for their sound you did a good job.

Ignore my previous comments but I'd love to know what happened during the initial play because it sounded horrible, like the whole thing was muffled and under water.

Oh right, that’s strange....I didn’t upload too long ago so it was probably still processing

Return to “Music Cafe”