Splitting midi controller to 2 hardware synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
an-electric-heart
KVRAF
1754 posts since 13 Jun, 2008 from Napier,New Zealand

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:00 pm

So, as the title says; is it easy to split 1 midi controller to 2 synths?

I'd like to get the little Korg Volca FM and the Korg Volca Bass, then split a midi controller to control both. You know bass with left hand pads with right.

Easy enough?

justin3am
KVRAF
10747 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Re: Splitting midi controller to 2 hardware synths

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:32 pm

It depends. If the controller itself has a 'Layer' function, then it's easy. Just set the key ranges for each layer and set each layer to a different MIDI channel. You then need to set each of your target devices to a separate MIDI channel (and use the same channel for the two layers on the controller).

If the controller does not have it's own key splitting/layer functions, you will need to handle that in a DAW or a MIDI processing app like Bome's MIDI Translator or MIDI Pipe. Some DAWs make that kind of configuration easier than others. In Bitwig or Live it's super easy to do with a Hardware Instrument device and a Note filter. In Cubase, you can do it with the Input transformer. Other DAWs have similar functionality.

an-electric-heart
KVRAF
1754 posts since 13 Jun, 2008 from Napier,New Zealand

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:42 pm

justin3am wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:32 pm
It depends. If the controller itself has a 'Layer' function, then it's easy. Just set the key ranges for each layer and set each layer to a different MIDI channel. You then need to set each of your target devices to a separate MIDI channel (and use the same channel for the two layers on the controller).

If the controller does not have it's own key splitting/layer functions, you will need to handle that in a DAW or a MIDI processing app like Bome's MIDI Translator or MIDI Pipe. Some DAWs make that kind of configuration easier than others. In Bitwig or Live it's super easy to do with a Hardware Instrument device and a Note filter. In Cubase, you can do it with the Input transformer. Other DAWs have similar functionality.
I'm trying to build a new rig for live use, and trying to get away from laptops, so yeah; no DAW. I was thinking about just getting a digital keyboard, but I wont need heaps of sounds so I thought those little Korg synths might be better sound quality.

justin3am
KVRAF
10747 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:05 pm

The instruments themselves may have an options for setting the key range to which they respond but you usually see that type of feature on multi-timbral synths. I seem to remember a product which had basic MIDI processing functions for key splits and such but I can't remember the name. MIDI Solutions may make something like that.

I should also mention that Nektar's Panorama P-series and Impact LX88+ both have options for splitting/layering the keys.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”