How to record my electric guitar noise free and cheap?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a hobbyist, have some cheap (and not that good) equipment and a nice guitar. Problem is, when I try to record it via the Steinberg Ur22 MK1 interface, a lot of noise creeps in. It could be from the power socket, from the interface, or from the laptop itself. I don't like that! Have to use a gate, but then the sound gets cut at the tail end of notes, which is not right.

So the question is: How to record my electric guitar noise free and cheap? Did a search on thomann but frankly don't know what I should be looking for. I'm a noob at guitar and related hardware, so please guys - help me out!

I could use a signal splitter to record the naked guitar output, while at the same time listening to it plus amp and effects. That's what I need - to record the guitar itself before the signal goes to the UR22. And noise free.

UR22 is not at issue, and is not "cheap" or "not good" by any means. Its performance puts to shame anything top studios had a few decades ago (just for context). Your noise issues come from elsewhere, and they will not be fixed by replacing the interface or doing a rain dance with a splitter or what have you. Find the source of noise and eliminate it.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

This might seem like an overly simple answer....
but have you switched the gtr input to High_Z?

What sort of noise? Maybe the noise is always there but you only pay attention to it when it comes back off the tape?

:-)

toonertik wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:12 am This might seem like an overly simple answer....
but have you switched the gtr input to High_Z?
No I haven't, because I'm using the other input + DI box from BSS Audio.

As to where the noise is coming from, I'm thinking that the USB jack is picking up something from the laptop fans or power supply - be it electricity, or vibes, or don't know what. Could be coming from somewehere else, though.

The pick-ups on my guitar are Seymour-Duncan so not of the more noisy ones, although there is some noise coming from them as well. But this is not the source of my troubles - how do I know, because I also have a microphone, where noise is an issue as well. Basically same problem - too noisy to ignore.

But the microphone is different from the guitar, because after coming in and picking up that noise, the guitar gets amplified, and so gets the noise. Basically, I could put on an amp sim, not play a single note, press record and end up with a noise album like Merzbow or something.
Last edited by perfumer on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Benedict wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:26 am What sort of noise? Maybe the noise is always there but you only pay attention to it when it comes back off the tape?

Full freq spectrum, with a huge bump at the lows and some peaks at the higher freqs. Look, I've listened to it with volume turned way up, sounds like computer noise. There are also occasional spikes that are way louder but are like cycling. These spikes are the problem, because they have very fast attacks and are hard for gates to catch - have to use a lookahead but even then, some spikes sneak in.

As to UR22 not being noisy - I've read otherwise, especially for MK1, issues with noise, mostly with the Hi-Z on, but not only. That's why they released MK2 I think - because too many people were complaining, returning their URs and so on. So that's about the 'quality' compared to pro's a few decades ago.

... And that's why I want to record before going into the interface.

Single coils? High gain settings?
Any noise with just a guitar lead plugged in? Running at +4?
Have you tried moving around the room, facing or moving away from your laptop?
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:15 am Single coils? High gain settings?
Any noise with just a guitar lead plugged in?
Have you tried moving around the room, facing or moving away from your laptop?
Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan '59 Humbucker
Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan JB-TB-4 Humbucker

Yes I have tried moving around, actually while playing I'm staying several meters away from the laptop, with my body positioned as a screen between the guitar and the laptop because they pick up noise from it, A LOT. Very loud. When I move a few meters away, this problem disappears, the other remains.

does it turn up and down if you use the volume knob on your guitar?

can you increase the signal to noise ratio?

What about if you play through an amp - do you still get the noise? It's possible you have a grounding issue on the guitar too.

Laptop possibly? I've heard of this before, and there seems to be an issue with if it's powered or not.

I had a broken lead once that picked up AM Radio. Check your leads. You could easily be picking up your phone.

I doubt it is a USB connection unless perhaps you are using something off eBay for 2 cents per 100.

How about recording some of that noise for us to hear and possibly identify?

Benedict wrote:How about recording some of that noise for us to hear and possibly identify?

Yes, this would be the easiest way for someone to identify it.

or remix it :band:

Make sure you're using jack to jack and input 2 with Hi-Z enabled, no doubt you are.
Alternatively, try a different guitar and cable. If possible, use a DI box into input 1.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Return to “Production Techniques”