CPU hungry vsti?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah. Diversion might be the heaviest here, because you can unison and all that, play some voices, and that will have a significant CPU footprint. Monark as well, but, there's only so much you can do with it in that regard, because it's monophonic.

Or... you can try Super-8, and play some pads. That should work the CPU as well.

As mentioned, with the disclaimer that none of that really makes sense if you don't plan on using those synths. If you want a real world test, test with synths you are using every day, and see how many instances you can run. That way you have something tangible, which will really help you in music production. Anything else is just a test with no meaning.

Iirc i saw a benchmark project you could load into your daw and see how it runs a couple of years ago. I would also suggest running something like geekbench to test the performance. But yes, diva, make a slow evolving pad with all bells and wistles, play 5 finger chords with sustain pedal. That seems to be pretty costly for the cpu.

This thread is becoming kinda interesting.. I hadn't idea some of these synths were so CPU hungry as you say!

Razzia wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 pm Try fathom. Excellent synth but it puts most diva patches to shame in terms of cpu hogging. One instance exceeds 20-25% on my i7 6700k easily
Seriously? I'll never buy Fathom then.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Diva or Avenger

Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:48 pm
Razzia wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 pm Try fathom. Excellent synth but it puts most diva patches to shame in terms of cpu hogging. One instance exceeds 20-25% on my i7 6700k easily
... or... you could first get a taste of it, with Fathom CM: https://www.musicradar.com/news/free-vs ... -fathom-cm

... which i never installed, TBH. Just too lazy and busy with my other stuff. :D

chk071 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:57 pm
... or... you could first get a taste of it, with Fathom CM: https://www.musicradar.com/news/free-vs ... -fathom-cm

... which i never installed, TBH. Just too lazy and busy with my other stuff. :D
I could do that, yes. But i tried the free mono version a while ago, 2 years ago or something, and i didnt find it that special. :oops:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Yeah, I'm finding it a bit impractical to use without freezing it on every channel. It does have a Draft mode but I don't find it improves performance all that significantly. The manual talks about how it basically doesn't make any concessions to CPU economy where it would affect sound quality

I do like it regardless. It's ridiculously deep and sounds great but tbh you can get a similar workflow with Zebra without having to worry about your computer catching fire.

AnX wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:24 am
BrokenTrance wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:09 pm
AnX wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm well, you could ask what cpu/motherboard it has and google it
So you are going off topic again. Nah, it's a special server configuration. None have used for music. You seem a little irritated. :? You here to discuss CPU hungry vsti or to cause aggravate?
its not OT, we're talking about your cpu....

if you buy a pc without checking what it is (or anything for that matter) you're taking a big risk

do you even know what the cpu is?

you dont really need a thread here to do this "test" just load your biggest project and look at the cpu meter, or keep loading vsts etc etc

really, you're just wasting everyones time.
You keep talking about my cpu. I ask for cpu hungry vsti. This is different topic. Shall you continue waste everybodys time or stay on topic again? :wink:

what cpu do you have?

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:58 am what cpu do you have?
He asked for CPU-hungry VST instruments. It's a valid question because there are actually plugins that use (much) more CPU than others. It doesn't matter WHY he wants to know that and he even doesn't have to tell us why he wants to know that.

It's a valid question so give a useful answer or just stay out of the discussion if you have nothing useful to add. Whatever, but stop this stupid idea that you or anyone else is entitled to the OP explaining why he asks a simple question :pray:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

can you read? i havent asked him why he needs cpu hungry synths, i already know that. He bought a "new" pc and wants to test it.

letting us know what cpu he has can help a lot, if its an old slow one, the list of synths will be bigger. Its all about specifics.

i suggest you keep your nose out.

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:18 am i suggest you keep your nose out.
Right :roll:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

wàoirjgokjgtfp^$µxd^pkth
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Repro-5 and Native Instruments Super-8 this one Require Reaktor but Reaktor have more than a few very CPU hungry synths on the board like Form :)
tbh for stress test I would suggest another approach: take your favorite synth, make a 8 voice chord and then duplicate the track till you reach your CPU threshold - it gives a better picture of your PC capabilities as you can easily relate to your previous experience and you'll know what to expect in the new projects where you surely will use your favorite synth.

Ps. KVR is becoming really cringe. AnX are you for real? You're making complicated s*storm from a very simple OT question. I guess it's not your best day.

Return to “Instruments”