VST plugin for dub house/techno

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, again.

Im looking for particulars VSTs that can help me to make this style of sound, here we go:

Sound starts at 2:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSXDhFF_3sM

Im interested in VSTs that can recreate (or have some presets) of this style of "deep underground house" synths.
Im actually using Akkord, but im running out of options.

Dub Machines effects are great for dub/techno stuff ...

https://www.surrealmachines.com/product ... nes-vstau/

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:38 pm Dub Machines effects are great for dub/techno stuff ...

https://www.surrealmachines.com/product ... nes-vstau/
Thx so much for the comment! I will check it out inmediatly

This right here will give you a very strong foundation in the dub techno.

https://youtu.be/P4MjP-83WzU

The synth you're using really doesn't matter, you just need a good filter (Cytomic The Drop), reverb (Valhalla Vintage) and delay (Valhalla Delay).

I am a Dub Machines believer, and it’s featured in that video I linked. There are some amazing presets in Modnetic that absolutely nail the classic Basic Channel / Chain Reaction sound.

BUT!

Despite my initial skepticism, I am now also a believer in Valhalla Delay. I am using Valhalla Delay more than Dub Machines lately. Other delays I use are Sonic Charge Permut8 (this is a beast of a plugin) and Soundtoys Primal Tap, which is really a special one of a kind delay that is perfect for grime dub chords.

Besides a delay, other modulation effects are also handy, such as chorus and phaser. I also love the chorus and phaser in Modnetic, especially the phaser. Sometimes I use it just for the phaser.

You’ll also want a reverb. I use Eventide Blackhole and SP2016, the convolution reverb in Modnetic, Valhalla Delay and Room, PSP 2445, Permut8 and Ableton’s Reverb (which is very lofi but this can be exactly what you need for dub chords ).

For filtering, I use Ableton’s stock filet and Fabfilter Volcano.

For synths and samplers, you really can’t go wrong with any two OSC subtractive poly synth. You could also use a 4 osc mono synth like the Korg Monopoly. But you can really use any synth. I very often use NI Razor, an additive synth, and Chipsounds PortaFM. U-he Diva and Repro will give you the synths for all the classic dub chords. Hive 2 has really piqued my interest for Dub techno, however.

Personally, however, I’m very much a fan of the synth TAL Mod, and *especially* TAL Sampler because of its vintage sampler engine and the character it can impart to the sound. One technique I keep coming back to is using drum samples like a kick or snare and feeding that into Ableton’s resonate which can produce chords, and then sampling that into TAL and using those for my chords.

So, that’s a lot of stuff and quite frankly, you can do everything using Ableton’s or any daws stock plugins. You don’t NEED any additional VSTs. Simpler → Reverb → Filter Delay is enough to produce the kind of chords in the track you shared.

But, if you don’t have Ableton or a daw with good stock plugins, those I mentioned should be more than enough. If I had to only choose two plugins - a synth and an effect - I would
Probably choose TAL Sampler and it’s a tie between Dub Machines and Valhalla Delay.

dubguy99 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:43 pm The synth you're using really doesn't matter, you just need a good filter (Cytomic The Drop), reverb (Valhalla Vintage) and delay (Valhalla Delay).
Or you can just listen to the wisdom of dub sage dubguy99.

check out these if you like this style ;)
i think one is made with access virus,the other with korg prologue.

https://soundcloud.com/rgmd/cloudincisi ... ky-dub-128
https://soundcloud.com/rgmd/cloudincisi ... hadows-128

FM synth pluck>lo-pass filter>tape/BBD delay (with more lo-pass filtering)>reverb

perpetual3 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:18 pm I am a Dub Machines believer, and it’s featured in that video I linked. There are some amazing presets in Modnetic that absolutely nail the classic Basic Channel / Chain Reaction sound.

BUT!

Despite my initial skepticism, I am now also a believer in Valhalla Delay. I am using Valhalla Delay more than Dub Machines lately. Other delays I use are Sonic Charge Permut8 (this is a beast of a plugin) and Soundtoys Primal Tap, which is really a special one of a kind delay that is perfect for grime dub chords.

Besides a delay, other modulation effects are also handy, such as chorus and phaser. I also love the chorus and phaser in Modnetic, especially the phaser. Sometimes I use it just for the phaser.

You’ll also want a reverb. I use Eventide Blackhole and SP2016, the convolution reverb in Modnetic, Valhalla Delay and Room, PSP 2445, Permut8 and Ableton’s Reverb (which is very lofi but this can be exactly what you need for dub chords ).

For filtering, I use Ableton’s stock filet and Fabfilter Volcano.

For synths and samplers, you really can’t go wrong with any two OSC subtractive poly synth. You could also use a 4 osc mono synth like the Korg Monopoly. But you can really use any synth. I very often use NI Razor, an additive synth, and Chipsounds PortaFM. U-he Diva and Repro will give you the synths for all the classic dub chords. Hive 2 has really piqued my interest for Dub techno, however.

Personally, however, I’m very much a fan of the synth TAL Mod, and *especially* TAL Sampler because of its vintage sampler engine and the character it can impart to the sound. One technique I keep coming back to is using drum samples like a kick or snare and feeding that into Ableton’s resonate which can produce chords, and then sampling that into TAL and using those for my chords.

So, that’s a lot of stuff and quite frankly, you can do everything using Ableton’s or any daws stock plugins. You don’t NEED any additional VSTs. Simpler → Reverb → Filter Delay is enough to produce the kind of chords in the track you shared.

But, if you don’t have Ableton or a daw with good stock plugins, those I mentioned should be more than enough. If I had to only choose two plugins - a synth and an effect - I would
Probably choose TAL Sampler and it’s a tie between Dub Machines and Valhalla Delay.
Besides the workflow, would you say that a combination of Ableton Simpler + TAL DAC brings the same sonically results? I want the sound but keep my workflow.

acidsmiley wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:34 pm Besides the workflow, would you say that a combination of Ableton Simpler + TAL DAC brings the same sonically results? I want the sound but keep my workflow.
Yes, I think it’s the same or substantially similar. I bought TAL Sampler before DAC way before DAC was released; perhaps I would have just bought DAC otherwise.

perpetual3 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:43 pm Besides the workflow, would you say that a combination of Ableton Simpler + TAL DAC brings the same sonically results? I want the sound but keep my workflow.
I must apologize - I was only partially correct in my previous response.

I emailed the developer of TAL Sampler and DAC and he said that if you do not transpose sounds (using drums for example) then the result is almost the same.

If you play melodies with TAL-Sampler the result is different.

My comparisons was made using drum hits and and chord stabs, no melodies. I couldn't here much of a difference using the S1000 and EMU settings.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:43 pm Besides the workflow, would you say that a combination of Ableton Simpler + TAL DAC brings the same sonically results? I want the sound but keep my workflow.
I must apologize - I was only partially correct in my previous response.

I emailed the developer of TAL Sampler and DAC and he said that if you do not transpose sounds (using drums for example) then the result is almost the same.

If you play melodies with TAL-Sampler the result is different.

My comparisons was made using drum hits and and chord stabs, no melodies. I couldn't here much of a difference using the S1000 and EMU settings.
Thank you for the info. It seems they also emulate the pitching behavior of old samplers. So you can do the memory trick and pitch a sample up before putting in the sampler and pitch it down afterwards. I should try the demo and hear how it sounds. Maybe it´s worth to change my workflow. :wink:

Once I put a sample of a mallet recorded to cassette tape in TAL Sampler and my jaw hit floor. The low end moved the air like nothing else. The built in EQ makes it so quick and easy to remove unwanted resonances too.

Return to “Instruments”