Soundtoys Radiator Vs Decapitator - whats your opinion ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Usually the best way to get the full Soundtoys bundle is to purchase individual plugins whenever there is a sale and also to get the Littles whenever they are free. Any plugin you own will qualify for a significant reduction. Then sometimes there's a sale for the full bundle and this sale usually also includes upgrade sales - however, that being said, I think it will take you quite a while - if at all - to beat $250 for the lot.

Decapitator is super musical in my opinion - as the Soundtoys stuff is typically. The Izotope plugins on the other hand are - imo - the kind of stuff you try and it never really gets there (I typically end up preferring the Izotope plugins bypassed over any settings I try) and you end up replacing it with something else and then end up forgetting that you even own it.

(I just tried the Ozone Exciter again vs Decapitator on some drums and it was business as usual again - Decapitator: just lovely! Switch it off and it sounds terrible. Ozone Exciter: switch it off and it stops sounding broken. Izotope's main asset is marketing and pretty UIs - the are the Apple of audio plugins)
Last edited by jens on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Razzia wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:26 pm Soundtoys was running a sort of charity event a couple years ago. Pay what you want for one of their "little" plugins. I think I paid $5 apiece for two of them and then upgraded to the bundle for $300. If you had more patience you could prob pick up their little plugins on sale one at a time and then get a hefty discount on the upgrade during christmas/black friday/easter/pretty much any holiday
The whole bundle on sale last BF for between $249 (without any upgrade required).
Microshift was $29, Alterboy was $29.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

jens wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:43 pm get the Littles whenever they are free.
How is it possible that the Little ones are free? Where does that happen?
If I buy a pre-owned Soundtoys product, does that still qualify me for an upgrade etc.?
Last edited by MasterTuner on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

usually when they're released.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Yes - even without any exception, I think. The last one was LittlePlate
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

MasterTuner wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:48 pm If I buy a pre-owned Soundtoys product, does that still qualify me for an upgrade etc.?
I think so, yes. If you want to make extra sure, send them an e-mail.

jens wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:43 pm (I just tried the Ozone Exciter again vs Decapitator on some drums and it was business as usual again - Decapitator: just lovely! Switch it off and it sounds terrible. Ozone Exciter: switch it off and it stops sounding broken. Izotope's main asset is marketing and pretty UIs - the are the Apple of audio plugins)
Correction :oops::

I tried the Exciter again on some other material (more processed drums) and it sounded WAY better. Probably it makes sense that it fares better at more processed stuff, given the fact that Ozone is marketed as a mastering product.

jens wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:57 pm Yes - even without any exception, I think. The last one was LittlePlate
the only exception i know of was the EchoBoy Jr., which was released after (long after) the EchoBoy proper.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Perhaps that's why they called it Jr. instead of Little :lol:

The "Little" range are sometimes $10 each.

Fuse VPRE-562A has a much better saturation sound than Radiator. I forgot I even have the Radiator. Have not used it much.

They gave away Little Plate as a Christmas gift a couple years ago.

Return to “Effects”