United Plugins releases Royal Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

here the answer of the developper " Hi ,here is Boris .The programmer. I checked what could be wrong on the plug. The Hold works as it was meant, it is 1000 ms as on original. The attack release times are very relative constant . I can make it longer in future release.But will be not the same time as on original. There is problem with always fast metter taht you have not feel about the recovery time. but this is kind of quirky thing I know about. There is shaped saturation algo which depends on the compression and was really hard to make it to show proper true GR.this is only poss how it works now properly."

garfield78 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:32 pm here the answer of the developper " Hi ,here is Boris .The programmer. I checked what could be wrong on the plug. The Hold works as it was meant, it is 1000 ms as on original. The attack release times are very relative constant . I can make it longer in future release.But will be not the same time as on original. There is problem with always fast metter taht you have not feel about the recovery time. but this is kind of quirky thing I know about. There is shaped saturation algo which depends on the compression and was really hard to make it to show proper true GR.this is only poss how it works now properly."
Ok. In this case some hardware/plugin files woud be cool. I don't know if the meter is buggy or if the release is buggy but the Hold doesn't seem to work and the slowest release constants seem always fast. Maybe I'm dumb...but I don't experience this with the RS124. :?

same here , seem totally differents compressor modeled on the same compressor ? :dog:

There's another RS124 plugin coming soon... :o

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... st14044889

wow ! :ud:

garfield78 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:53 pm wow ! :ud:
Indeed ! :ud:

I know nothing. :hihi:

(But if I did, I'd be bound by NDA to not reveal any details.)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:09 pm I know nothing. :hihi:

(But if I did, I'd be bound by NDA to not reveal any details.)
:lol:

Hey there, here is Boris the developer of the Royal. From Soundevice Digital. I'm kind of oldtimer, who instead of recording and mixing also collects vintage microphones and gear. www.soundevice-studio.cz is my recording studio (check the gear list:). I was especially into German old broadcast technique as vintage Telefunken, Siemens, Klangfilm stuff. I'm the man behind the idea of Audified U73b and Audified Klangfilm EQs.
About the Royal. You probably know that RS124 was actually modified Altec 436b comp. From nowadays design the closest HW compressor design to the Altec comp is, for example, Thermionic culture Phoenix ( who is really punchy as hell for varimu comp). I didn't want to model Chandler or kind of AR, but I found modified old Altec 436c to EMI type of comp. I can say it a bit differs from Chandler comp reissue I tried. But I put there things to make it closer by attack recovery times. Also the three models differ just by attack time and kind of saturation I added. So, the comp has something common with RS124 but it is modelled the actual unit I had with all its behaviour. Nothing less nothing more. Don't expect more from the purist:) Here is just quick phone photo of actual unit.:) PS: If you want more mellow compression try trimmer before. I will try to put it in future update. Still believe the comp is one of the best comp for drums and bass on the market.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ok seems some of us (including me) were misled since the beginning. It's not a RS124 emulation, now it makes sense to me. :tu:
Still I think the hold feature doesn't do its holding job (maybe a bug on my system) and yeah an input trimmer is mandatory here, nobody wants to add a gain plug each time (well not me), workflow killer here.

Congrats on this release Boris, anyway this is definitely a great compressor !

Endor-8o8 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:34 am Ok seems some of us (including me) were misled since the beginning. It's not a RS124 emulation, now it makes sense to me. :tu:
Still I think the hold feature doesn't do its holding job (maybe a bug on my system) and yeah an input trimmer is mandatory here, nobody wants to add a gain plug each time (well not me), workflow killer here.

Congrats on this release Boris, anyway this is definitely a great compressor!
Thank you!:) Well, actually it is RS124 kind of. The Altec was modified to RS124 type. I guess the same modification was made by as Mr.Hinson was making years ago and was sold as RS124 compressors for unbelievable money. What I wanted to do, was to make an exact copy of the proper vintage unit I had the possibility to grab. Chandler was quite much more in the modern side, not so bitey but also much less colourful. So the plugin is simply a clone of this one exact vintage piece. I believe the vintage units can differ quite a lot. (my personal experience after 20 years working with vintage HW in the studio) For me it was much more purist solution to make an exact clone of kind of vintage RS124 I have personally in my hands than a)- to clone Chandler b) to make it sound like some other plugins -means a clone of the clone. And I'm not talking about author rights...which would leave me quite sore about my own plug:) Might be I was too much purist, but expect future update:)
About Hold: My answer was quoted up above, so to explain more: On the original unit was Hold measured around 1000 ms. The matter is that attack and release are so relative constants that proper so extreme value can behave a bit differently . Well, it means, the time is true as it was on the original unit but would work better for a user with longer time of recovery on the plugin. There is no problem to make it in future updates, if users will agree about it.

carloff wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:17 am
Endor-8o8 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:34 am Ok seems some of us (including me) were misled since the beginning. It's not a RS124 emulation, now it makes sense to me. :tu:

Congrats on this release Boris, anyway this is definitely a great compressor!
About Hold: My answer was quoted up above, so to explain more: On the original unit was Hold measured around 1000 ms. The matter is that attack and release are so relative constants that proper so extreme value can behave a bit differently . Well, it means, the time is true as it was on the original unit but would work better for a user with longer time of recovery on the plugin. There is no problem to make it in future updates, if users will agree about it.
Thanks for all these infos Boris ! Very interesting to read. :)

Concerning the Hold function, what I'm saying is that in Pro Tools no matter the position of the recovery, I get the same release time (well the meter movement is exactly the same at any position for all models) even with the Hold position. I think I'm experiencing a bug on my system (I reported it to the United Plugin Support).

Ok Boris , i understand better now .

Seem than "royal compressor" is more like this compressor : https://analogobsession.com/product/yala/

But Royal compressor seem better ...

garfield78 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:58 am Ok Boris , i understand better now .

Seem than "royal compressor" is more like this compressor : https://analogobsession.com/product/yala/

But Royal compressor seem better ...
I hope so :D Thanks. Yes, Yala, by the schematic ( I see it here the first time and haven't had a chance to try it yet) looks just like normal Altec 436. But I modeled Altec modified to RS124. As I wrote up above, EMI RS124 was in the basic modfied Altec with different front panel. I recon all the units were slightly different. I applied also a unique advanced nonlinear model of tube saturation of the original unit.:) I simply wanted to enjoy it as well in my studio and it is possible for me just if it sounds like HW :)

You did the u73b ? Cool :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Effects”