DDMF MagicDeathEye compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DavidCarlyon wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:33 pm It doesn't really add much colour.
Are you sure?
In the low range it does add strong harmonics, at least in the AUv3 (iOS) version.

https://youtu.be/G-wrE46ZYpQ?t=755
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RPH on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

RPH wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:42 am
DavidCarlyon wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:33 pm It doesn't really add much colour.
Are you sure?
In the low range it does add strong harmonics, at least in the AUv3 (iOS) version.

https://youtu.be/G-wrE46ZYpQ?t=754

Oh ok, i stand corrected. To be honest, i probably need to spend more time with it. This is why i wish they had a full, time limited demo. I still haven't bought it yet - been on the fence (though i do think it is iincredible, i just have so many compressors)

In your experience, how well does it deal with aliasing? I didn't get a chance to look yet.
I recall there is no oversampling in place? I am sure christian did a great job though, he really is one of the brightest guys in plugin development.

the graph above doesn't show much aliasing.

EDIT: the video thumbnail is not from MDE, it's from another compressor. MDE actually does have noticeable aliasing when the sine reaches the top end of the spectrum.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

The aliasing is relatively low-level. Feed it a -14db 15k peak in Plugin Doctor, and you'll see an inharmonic fold-over tone at about -108db. Increase the frequency further, and the aliasing volume drops further. So yeah, it's there, but it's not obnoxiously loud. For instance, try the Overloud Fairchild for comparison. Would I take an MDE version of with oversampling+latency as an HQ mode? Absolutely. But it's still an excellent sounding compressor as-is with a level of aliasing I wouldn't consider to be problematic.

As expected, it also runs great in Metaplugin with oversampling if you're really concerned about aliasing on your mix-bus. At 4x oversampling, it's clean as a whistle.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:02 pm The aliasing is relatively low-level. Feed it a -14db 15k peak in Plugin Doctor, and you'll see an inharmonic fold-over tone at about -108db. Increase the frequency further, and the aliasing volume drops further. So yeah, it's there, but it's not obnoxiously loud. For instance, try the Overloud Fairchild for comparison. Would I take an MDE version of with oversampling+latency as an HQ mode? Absolutely. But it's still an excellent sounding compressor as-is with a level of aliasing I wouldn't consider to be problematic.

As expected, it also runs great in Metaplugin with oversampling if you're really concerned about aliasing on your mix-bus. At 4x oversampling, it's clean as a whistle.
Well you could have an HQ version if you put it in MetaPlugin ! :wink:

Endor-8o8 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:05 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:02 pm The aliasing is relatively low-level. Feed it a -14db 15k peak in Plugin Doctor, and you'll see an inharmonic fold-over tone at about -108db. Increase the frequency further, and the aliasing volume drops further. So yeah, it's there, but it's not obnoxiously loud. For instance, try the Overloud Fairchild for comparison. Would I take an MDE version of with oversampling+latency as an HQ mode? Absolutely. But it's still an excellent sounding compressor as-is with a level of aliasing I wouldn't consider to be problematic.

Exactly what I'm doing, but not everyone who owns MDE will also own Metaplugin. Also, not always the best workflow. But yeah, definitely works when needed. And not just for MDE. Applies to just about everything. :tu:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:17 pm
Endor-8o8 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Exactly what I'm doing, but not everyone who owns MDE will also own Metaplugin. Also, not always the best workflow. But yeah, definitely works when needed. And not just for MDE. Applies to just about everything. :tu:
Yeah I'm with you on this one. This option should be implemented into the plug so we don't have to add a plug into a plug. :ud:

That sums it up perfectly - he did a great job with this. It would be really nice to have an HQ mode,but it is not a total deal breaker.
I actually don't own meta plugin at the moment. I have considered it in the past - mostly for exactly this purpose, but as most of the plugins i use now have oversampling, i haven't bothered thus far.

I hate to be over the top...but the main reasoni would get this is so it could live on the mixbuss/important group busses. It is insanely efficient, which is really cool, but on a personal level, i would take the CPU hit (or as mentioned, a HQ mode...with 'render' settings would be even better)

I do want ot give this another shot tonight, i will do my best to ignore the noise bursts. I did love the movement though, very unique and super musical

The only way I could replicate that "aliasing sound" on MDE was when I put a reaper "JS: Volume/Pan Smoother v5" before MDE, and drove the signal until the reaper plug's output meter was on red zone +10dB. I don't know how often one would use such loud signal in real life.

Waiting for BF sales
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Hmm, never heard of this one. The description sounds promising though, so I'll have to give it a shot.

MDE is definitely an interesting fella that seems to manage to do something that I have not heard in any other compressor.

Starting with some gain is not cool (understandable in that if you drop it on a hot mix and the level drops from compression but still, would prefer honesty). Everyone else seems to do it so not could have ppl feel that the device sounded worse on launch (poor unskilled fools).

Some odd knob choices like the screw instead of a real knob.

I'm never really sure what MDE is doing but it tends to sound great nonetheless so even if it is snake oil, it might just be special enough to justify - if I had $150 to be spending on anything.

:-)

I just tried Magic Death Eye against every compressor I have plus a couple of demos, on a few of my recent recordings. I found I preferred MDE 100% of the time... though usually I can't even identify why and sometimes it was just a tiny bit better. It's also very easy to dial in, which is nice.

Of course for saturation or more aggressive use, I'd choose something else, but this plugin is pretty excellent.

And now I'm also hoping for a Black Friday-ish deal :D

foosnark wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:49 am I just tried Magic Death Eye against every compressor I have plus a couple of demos, on a few of my recent recordings. I found I preferred MDE 100% of the time... though usually I can't even identify why and sometimes it was just a tiny bit better. It's also very easy to dial in, which is nice.

Of course for saturation or more aggressive use, I'd choose something else, but this plugin is pretty excellent.

And now I'm also hoping for a Black Friday-ish deal :D
40% off this weekend...

I've had an eye on the MagicDeathEye. Is it really full of magic? :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Return to “Effects”