Bx Opto vs Acme Opticom

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For those of you that use or have used both, which one do you think is more essential?

I'm demoing them right now and I like them both a lot. I'm kind of torn because I feel like one is more versatile (bx Opto) and one is maybe more immediate (Acme Opticom).
I do feel like the Bx Opto can do what the Opticom does but maybe not the other way around?
I don't know. For me demoing is difficult because I often don't really know how a particular plugin will function for me until I've spent a lot of time with it.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what anyone with some experience in the matter has to say.

Acme has the gritty character which goes a long way. Opto I don't use as much as i'd thought.

I agree. I feel like the Bx Opto can do what the Opticom can do and Bx Opto is a bit cleaner. I don't like how much color the Opticom adds.

Opticom is too dirty and very CPU-hungry, don't like it.

Opto is clean, Opticom is dirty. Opto gives precise speed and sidechain control, Opticom has three settings but they cover quite an extreme range. You can get similar results to Opticom by combining Opto with a good tube saturation. But I find myself using Opticom just as much because when it works it WORKS, and when it doesn't I can take it off and try something else. It's a pretty quick decision.

Time will tell if Opticom tends to stay in the final mix for me, or is a placeholder for a more complex saturation+compression combination. If I had to pick one it would be Opto, it has a really different workflow from VCA compressors with the single speed control, no ratio and a lot of scope to tune the results with SC filter.

Anyone knows how the bx_opto compares to softubes cl1b?

I like them both. The Optocom is gritty and full of attitude, whereas the bx_opto is more transparent. Both have their uses.

Thanks for all the input guys.
I think I'm going to go with the Bx Opto. (Which means grabbing the mastering bundle 2 since the Opto itself isn't on sale right now.)
I really like the Opticom but I think it's just too specialized a tool for me to justify shelling out extra for it right now.
For me the Bx Opto seems to always work, whereas the Acme Opticom is kinda hit and miss (admittedly the hits are very nice though).
And even though I have a bunch of stuff that is similar to the Bx Opto (T Racks Opto, IK White 2A, Presswork, Logic's Vintage Opto), the Bx plugin always seemed to come out on top in comparison to the others. It is smooth but with character, handles bass very well, and has a mix knob! And it is fairly clutter free and easy to set. In short, it's a real winner.
Hopefully the Opticom pops up on super sale at some point again down the road. It would be nice to have eventually.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:28 am Anyone knows how the bx_opto compares to softubes cl1b?
I have both and use both. If I had to choose just one, I'd take the CL1B. I can't give a reason. It just works better for me in most situations. Opto has more features though, and that can be good in some cases.

trmupstage wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:35 pm
Izak Synthiemental wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:28 am Anyone knows how the bx_opto compares to softubes cl1b?
I have both and use both. If I had to choose just one, I'd take the CL1B. I can't give a reason. It just works better for me in most situations. Opto has more features though, and that can be good in some cases.
Thanks!

FYI, the Opticom is on sale for $29 right now.

OTOH, I didn't get a monthly voucher for 6-19. Did anyone? Or are they not doing one because of the general summer sale?

I like opto compressors but never use bx opto because it sounds uninspiring/boring. GUI is super small too.

dwozzle wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:39 pm FYI, the Opticom is on sale for $29 right now.

OTOH, I didn't get a monthly voucher for 6-19. Did anyone? Or are they not doing one because of the general summer sale?
They aren't doing them this month bc of sale as you surmised, is what I heard.
A well-behaved signature.

I don't have Opticom but I do have Opto. Listening to demos, it sounds like a lot of other compressors. First impression, it reminded me immediately of the API2500 at a certain fast setting. Again, it was a first impression but I'm sure some people love it for it's uniquess...I don't get that. I CAN tell you from experience, that the Opto can be very transparent and smooth (non-pumpy, non-gritty sounding if you set it to a slow setting). I don't have a lot of compressors like that one except the RennComp by Waves. bx_Opto IMO, is superior to it though. Just get them both. You never know when one will respond better with the input signal. For the price, it's a small price to pay to eliminate the time spent deciding.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

If you look around you can probably find cheap second hand bx_opto's, bundled with the maag EQ2. There's still the transfer fee of course. I like it, it's not quite neutral but also not a character compressor. That has it's uses. I don't know the opticom at all.

Return to “Effects”