Wasn't KORG supposed to be fixing the Legacy Collection GUIs!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:13 am The thing is, i don't know any company who would still put effort in 15 year old plugins. Hardly makes sense anyway, considering how few people still will use the plugins.
Few people use? Of my 77 libraries, my MS-20 library is my 26th best seller. I wish the majority of my libraries sold as well.

How many people have bought your MS-20 library? (Not that that would be a indicator of some kind anyway)

wagtunes wrote: I have long given up hope or desire for Korg to update this collection.
Im sure if theyd just externalize the UI resources (i.e. have everything outside the DLL) theyd be getting new UIs made for free.

Making a new one for the M1 for instance wouldnt be such a great effort because the layout/style is already fine as it is. (IMO.) Thus not making any changes with regards to look and arrangement, the only thing youd need to do to accomodate more or less everybody is to make one double size (XL) set and one quadruple size (XXL) set of images, which would then give x4 and x8 overall size respectively since both horizontal and vertical dimensions are being doubled/quadrupled. The rest would be updating margins and positions in the UI definition file and thats it. Since no new layout/arrangement would need to be developed, (which is one of the most time consuming aspects because of the continuing tweaking that goes with it), id estimate maybe a month or so, putting in a couple of hours every day.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:49 am How many people have bought your MS-20 library? (Not that that would be a indicator of some kind anyway)
Excuse me but that's not really any of your business, not that it would be any indicator as you said.

Like I said, I wish ALL my libraries sold that well. I'd be doing very well in this business.

Point is, you'd probably be surprised how many people use the KLC.

I still use Polysix (fat line bass is my go to) and Mono-poly
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:03 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:49 am How many people have bought your MS-20 library? (Not that that would be a indicator of some kind anyway)
Excuse me but that's not really any of your business, not that it would be any indicator as you said.

Like I said, I wish ALL my libraries sold that well. I'd be doing very well in this business.

Well... you say that it isn't a indicator, yet you tell me that i would be surprised how many people use KLC. So, where do you get your numbers from? :) I take my assumptive numbers from experience of how many people still use 15 year old plugins. I even count in the probability that, because it is KORG, which is a well known company, it could be a few more in this case. But, considering the target audience (KORG fans, and people who are into classic synth emulations), and, that there are a gazillion soft synths which came after them, and surpassed them in terms of authenticity, i'm pretty sure the amount of people still using the plugins is pretty small. Again, all assumptive.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Well... you say that it isn't a indicator, yet you tell me that i would be surprised how many people use KLC. So, where do you get your numbers from? :) I take my assumptive numbers from experience of how many people still use 15 year old plugins. I even count in the probability that, because it is KORG, which is a well known company, it could be a few more in this case. But, considering the target audience (KORG fans, and people who are into classic synth emulations), and, that there are a gazillion soft synths which came after them, and surpassed them in terms of authenticity, i'm pretty sure the amount of people still using the plugins is pretty small. Again, all assumptive.
On the other hand, the fact that its cheap, that its from a major 'real' synth manufacturer, that its the only emulation around of the MS-20, which is notable for being an iconic vintage synth and a modern reissue, and that there's a very well-selling iOS version to go back and forward to, could mean your assumptions are based on overlooking various relevant factors...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:45 am And, Zebra 2 will be a thing of the past once Zebra 3 comes out.
No it won't, it's gonna be supported (OS-wise, no new features) alongside Z3 for times to come, since Z3 will be quite different from Z2.

I use M1 and Wavestation all the time. Even more so lately, absolutely nothing wrong with the sound to me. Interfaces are fine but I'm still mostly on 1080p. A simple upscale would be very welcome.

More "modern" synths that my Korg MS-20 library outsells

MPowerSynth
Nave
Syn X 2
Electra 2
MUX
ArcSyn
Icarus
Rapid
Sunrizer
Spire
Hive
Carbon Electra
Wavegenrator
Wavemapper
Saurus 2
Sytrus
Infinite Pro
HALion 6
ANA 2
Biotek 2
Voltage Modular
Pigments
Ascension

And I've left out quite a few. Like I said, I wish these synths sold as well as my MS-20 library, and they're all much newer.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:22 pm

On the other hand, the fact that its cheap, that its from a major 'real' synth manufacturer, that its the only emulation around of the MS-20, which is notable for being an iconic vintage synth and a modern reissue, and that there's a very well-selling iOS version to go back and forward to, could mean your assumptions are based on overlooking various relevant factors...
Could well be. ;)

Going from my pure gut feeling, i'd say that only few still use them. I'm sure KORG would put more initiative into the whole thing if they sold like hot cakes.

My gut feeling tells me, most users are just nostalgic and simply want them in their ever growing vintage collection. It just has to sit there collecting digital dust and waiting to be pulled out in case you need to recreate one of those old songs. For flipping through presets no GUI at all would be fine as well. So why bother?
Unfortunately my gut feeling is one of the most unreliable sources for approaching the holy truth...
I would not mind if they update the Wavestation to the AD model. Back in the days that AD option was the one which made me buy the machine...
But if I’d really want a vocoder most likely I’d use a different tool...

sales figures may be down to the quality of the product, just saying....

Yep, I've been waiting ages for enlarged GUI's, and in particular a replacement for the scrolling MS-20 screen!
I still use both the MS-20 & Polysix (not so much the WS) and like their sounds very much - also I don't want my MS-20 midi controller to become redundant!
I can't imagine the KLC disappearing, it would be a sad loss in the soft synth world.

Come on Korg... please update!

chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:09 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:22 pm

Could well be. ;)

Going from my pure gut feeling, i'd say that only few still use them. I'm sure KORG would put more initiative into the whole thing if they sold like hot cakes.
They won't sell like hot cakes in their current state. The fact they are even still used by people in their current state is a sign that they are still quality sounding instruments. The whole expectation for updated GUIs wouldn't exist if Korg themselves did not say that there were plans to update them, likely to increase sales of the LC when their ARP dropped a few years ago. You can listen all you want to your gut feelings but these are the facts.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Return to “Instruments”