Do you use chord generator tools or similar plugins to create chords? Which ones?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Do you use chord generator plugins or similar chord tools to help you create chords? Which are your favorites?

No, I've tried them but the results aren't really satisfying. Makes me feel like I'm doing paint by numbers with music.

here we go again

Yeah, no, I have ideas, the software doesn't know what they are so there is no help.

yes i do, my chord knowledge is weak.

CodeFN42 Chordz is a helpful Tool to find similar chord in a scale and quick play them.
In Bitwig i use sometimes Diatonic Transposer to not miss any scale.

sometime i create chord progressions just from hearing/ feeeling and need a tool where i can type in my existing notes
and find matches. have a eye at "Scaler" but i am not sure is it good one.

No. I've learned all my major and minor scales and chords. Playing them by muscle memory is a lot faster.

I have a prog called Chordpulse, which I intended just for sketching out songs without any production distractions, but not for composing for me. I've also got an Android app called Chordbot which is well suited for the same thing though to be honest I've barely used them. I don't find it hard coming up with good chord ideas, I just wanted tools to get them down quickly - but then found it much quicker and more easier just to play them into the piano roll myself
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

I did up until VERY recently. I then had it gently pointed out that I was a lazy, inferior mong for doing so. I have since pulled out the old ZOOM MRS 1044 and playing only HW synths and guitars into it live (many, many takes to get each track anywhere near right). I AM using a metronome to help with timing while creating (very simple) beats with the Korg Wavedrum.

What is being created is significantly simpler than what I was achieving with Captain chords which generated chords I never even knew existed BUT it has a pleasing simplicity that harks back to the glory days of gigging with the lads.

I own a few of these kinds of programs, because this is an area of interest, and I think there are a lot of cool possibilities beyond just using them as a 'crutch'. I haven't found any of the existing chord/music creation software to be useful to me - yet. I've written some software that suggests chord changes based on several criteria, including things like "show me a chord progression starting with chord X, ending with chord y, in the style composer z" etc. Then "show me some substitution options in that progression, characteristic of genre xx, or composer yy", etc. Basically trying to recreate some of the thought process of, say, a jazz pianist or arranger (it is geared towards jazz, because that's how I think). I believe there is tremendous potential there, at least until the robots take over the world.

That would be pretty cool.

I think that would be really useful for practicing improvisation.

WWWSD

what would Wayne Shorter do

jancivil wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:32 am WWWSD

what would Wayne Shorter do
:hihi:

Forgotten wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:51 pm No, I've tried them but the results aren't really satisfying.
I wonder if it’s actually possible for software to be more satisfying than playing?
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:16 am
Forgotten wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:51 pm No, I've tried them but the results aren't really satisfying.
I wonder if it’s actually possible for software to be more satisfying than playing?
Maybe to some, but to me I just don't get any sense of achievement out of software creating a chord sequence for me.

If I use a chord sequence I want to hunt it, skin it and cook it myself rather than get it in a vacuum sealed package from the supermarket.

I wonder if it's possible for having a machine stand in for your own thought to be more satisfying. If someone is "playing" and they don't have much good information really or chops, that wouldn't be very satisfying but I don't know what it's like to have an algorithm guess at the answer from key and scale as clues, it seems kind of barren to me. I did trial and error for a while before I knew any roman numeral identities or classic function. :shrug:
What seems to be missing for people who are stumped is the experience obtaining the clues by osmosis playing extant music, from a fake book or by taking it off the record, or just from people in your vicinity.

actually Datroof's idea if successful would tend to give you things you may not have thought of, knowing what you're after giving it more sophisticated cues than just key/scale but there is probably no such thing on the marketplace currently.

Return to “Production Techniques”