Two songs to share

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Wholiveira
KVRer
24 posts since 16 Mar, 2015

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi all -

Thought I would post a couple of songs I think are worth sharing, if only to have my delusions dispelled.

https://soundcloud.com/ghost_fuku/ghostsinyrskin

This is about the tingly feeling I get when listening to music. Heavily abuses the Kontour 'Ghost Valley' preset.

https://soundcloud.com/ghost_fuku/two-love-songs

If you like David Lynch and superannuated catapult-fed garbage dumps infested with feral hamsters, you might like this.

Thanks in advance for all considerations and abuse.

wagtunes
KVRAF
16152 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Two songs to share

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:47 pm

My Feedback (Ghosts)

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 8.5
Mix - 9.5

Overall - 8.875

Comments: Creepy sounding. I guess that's what you were going for. Good job. Think it would be good for a soundtrack of some kind.

Wholiveira
KVRer

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:19 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:47 pm
My Feedback (Ghosts)

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 8.5
Mix - 9.5

Overall - 8.875

Comments: Creepy sounding. I guess that's what you were going for. Good job. Think it would be good for a soundtrack of some kind.
Cool. Thanks man. I would perhaps say more an attempt at sublime rather than creepy, but still, skin crawl.

wagtunes
KVRAF
16152 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:25 pm

My Feedback (Two Love Songs)

Music - 7
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 8
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8

Comments: Not as much into this as the first one. Too raunchy for my tastes. It's kind of like atmospheric metal, which doesn't quite work for me. For what it is, it's well done. Just not my cup of tea musically. That violin, or whatever it is, sounds either out of tune or warped. Probably done purposely. Very odd piece.

Wholiveira
KVRer

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:28 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:25 pm
My Feedback (Two Love Songs)

Music - 7
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 8
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8

Comments: Not as much into this as the first one. Too raunchy for my tastes. It's kind of like atmospheric metal, which doesn't quite work for me. For what it is, it's well done. Just not my cup of tea musically. That violin, or whatever it is, sounds either out of tune or warped. Probably done purposely. Very odd piece.
Oh yes, purposefully out of tune. It originally began as a vocal sample, then distorted with Defacer.
Despite it not being your beverage, I feel complimented nonetheless.

seismic1
KVRAF
9196 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:47 pm

The first track (Ghosts) is quite gloomy, but in a pleasing way, if that makes any sense at all. The piece progresses in an unpredictable manner without sounding awkward or fragmented.

Good work :)

Wholiveira
KVRer

Post Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:43 pm

seismic1 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:47 pm
The first track (Ghosts) is quite gloomy, but in a pleasing way, if that makes any sense at all. The piece progresses in an unpredictable manner without sounding awkward or fragmented.

Awesome. Thanks for listening.

Benedict
KVRAF
2824 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:41 pm

"Ghosts" starts nicely but by half way through I am losing interest as no melodic or narrative focus has developed which is a shame (for me) as the main sounds are nice and evocative. The drum line is average (as in they all sound like this). A melody would have had me hooked.

"Love Songs" starts in a similar vein but does develop that jarring "violin" which I like. Again though the concern for me is that you tend to create loops and sit on them instead of leading us through a similar/different landscape from variations. Overall tho this piece is better construction - if not exactly easy listening.

Both have a nice enough mix tone but I get the feeling that your pieces could really do with you starting with a melodic and narrative arrangement so you have a Story Arc - Home>Leaving>Adventure>Climax>Return. Then add the effects to support.

:-)

fastlanephil
KVRian
776 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Post Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Both efforts seem to be going for horror genre soundtrack. As is I think they would work better supporting visuals than as a listening experience. If you want to create a stronger listening experience then try injecting sort of some musical ideas into all these sounds and effects which have some merit.

seismic1
KVRAF
9196 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:45 pm

"Two Love Songs" - I can imagine the camera panning around a smouldering wasteland, eventually coming to rest at the sight of a blind violinist wearing a tattered raincoat, and sitting on what used to be a street-corner, hoping for a passer-by to throw some change into his upturned hat. Unfortunately, there haven't been any passers-by for weeks.

Wholiveira
KVRer

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I would definitely describe my music as soundtracks for an unfilmed scene.

I've played professionally as a jazz musician, headed my own trio, given solo performances, and played as part of a horn line before. I say this not in defense, but as perhaps (meager) reassurance of the intentionality of what I'm doing. If that causes occasion for further dismay, then I promise you're not the first, and certainly not alone. Granted, the nature of doing anything experimental invites a higher risk for failure, and I think I've had some validation at not having totally failed on this endeavor.

Seismic1, though, you totally get it. Thanks again.

Return to “Music Cafe”