Somasynths ETHER on a bike

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lots of fun driving bike and listening to all those noises gathered with ether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgjB1Cz ... e=youtu.be

Very cool. Love that kind of stuff - harvesting ‘random’ sounds from wherever. To be sliced, mangled, sequenced, et al, of course. :tu:

I'm surprised there are so many silent areas.

I have mixed feelings about getting one. I have a much less sensitive induction coil that can pick up noises from an LCD display, AC sockets and light switches and motors and such, but after a while the novelty wears off and I feel like I'd be better off just using a sample library.

The Ether seems like a better device, and better suited to exploring spaces rather than holding it right near devices. But I still feel like the kinds of sounds it picks up are going to be generally similar in any home or urban environment -- mostly variations in rhythm and texture.

i want one but i cant ride a bike :cry:

@kvotchin you read my mind 8)

@foosnark ether is a little bit different design compared to that induction coil. more sensitive, but all in all i agree with you. I'll probably take a day and make a library for future projects...

@vurt you want ether or bike? :hihi:

On my previous Soma Ether on a bike video, Vlad Kreimer (creator of the device) commented about the potential use of Ether's Antenna and bike. The recording didn't go well but, got some interesting sounds
So here's the video
https://youtu.be/i3V6mbDV5IY

I also noticed that phenomenon.
When I connect my Ether (one of the newer generation) to a radiator in my house, then I get a pretty good radio reception.
The whole metal piping system in my house is then probably acting as a very sensitive antenna.

And by the way, my Avatar photo I use already for a long time, is starting to turn into something very cynical :(

vurt wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:38 pm i want one but i cant ride a bike :cry:
Better get one and learn to. Good for excersize, and on the long term cheaper than the bus.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:18 am
Better get one and learn to. Good for excersize, and on the long term cheaper than the bus.
i used to ride a bike a lot.
spine problems made it impossible,.

I would love to. Unfortunately I got my legs broken by a motorist who wasn't paying attention to where they were going, so I cant ride anymore.

@vurt :hug:

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:38 pm i used to ride a bike a lot.
Sorry to hear that.

A friend of mine had a hernia. Could barely walk, but sitting on a bike was better. For him.

Dutch bikes are somewhat different from British Raleigh bikes. No forward-bent racing position, but you'd sit straight up.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:02 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:38 pm i used to ride a bike a lot.
Sorry to hear that.

A friend of mine had a hernia. Could barely walk, but sitting on a bike was better. For him.

Dutch bikes are somewhat different from British Raleigh bikes. No forward-bent racing position, but you'd sit straight up.
thanks, just part of lifes rich tapestry :)

i cant for example, turn my neck, to look left i turn at the waist. not great when holding handlebars.

i never had a racing bike.
mountain bike in later life, bmxs/grifters in the youth.
but when my spine first started bothering me i did get a "beach bike" which was more similar to the dutch bikes, more upright sitting.

as for the soma ether, not sure now is the best time for me to buy something that is best used wandering about...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:59 pm
I would love to. Unfortunately I got my legs broken by a motorist who wasn't paying attention to where they were going, so I cant ride anymore.

@vurt :hug:
:hug:

PatrickW wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:50 pm I also noticed that phenomenon.
When I connect my Ether (one of the newer generation) to a radiator in my house, then I get a pretty good radio reception.
The whole metal piping system in my house is then probably acting as a very sensitive antenna.

And by the way, my Avatar photo I use already for a long time, is starting to turn into something very cynical :(
Do you also have this buzzing problem with a "large" antenna and recorder nearby?

uros_stojnic wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:35 am
PatrickW wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:50 pm I also noticed that phenomenon.

Do you also have this buzzing problem with a "large" antenna and recorder nearby?
If you set the sensitivity (newest version) on maximum, then the Ether starts really buzzing.
The problem is that the headphone or recorder you connect is introducing interference into the Ether, as explained by the designer.

I have also an older version, which does not have that sensitivity knob.
It behaves quite different.
But I like the newer version a lot more, since you can play with that sensitivity knob together with the type of antennas you use.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”