poplar [downtempo electronic]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, I just put up a track I've been working on for a while and I'm looking for any constructive criticism. Please let me know what I can work on!

https://soundcloud.com/jadeandtea/poplar

I'm no expert however I feel we should be helping each other here at least with ideas...so these are only my ideas and nothing you should listen to. My opinions are based on the music I like, listen to, and produce...so they may not be applicable to your genre.

IMO the song quality is great. For me though it was a bit repetitive. I wanted the newly added elements to grab me and fill me with more but they feel flat for me...for instance, at about 1:15 the synth with lots of reverb in the background. Then the guitar at the end was a nice touch but bring it forward more...and maybe add a short guitar riff in the intro for better balance

My Feedback

Music - 5
Instruments - 7
Performance - 5
Mix - 7

Overall - 6

Comments: By a minute in, you lost me. Track isn't developing fast enough, especially not for a 2 minute track. Needs a top line melody desperately. For me, this is just unfinished background noise. Mix is okay but nothing special. Instruments are also okay but nothing special. Abrupt ending didn't help. Very ordinary piece.

i really like this. It's refreshingly different and inventive for EDM ... no cliches or ridiculous breakdowns. Could do with a little "ear candy" early on. The guitar at the end is cool. The track reminded me of Lorde a little. The mix is pretty good and could be longer for me. Good work. I'm listening again :)

mindstuff wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:46 pm
IMO the song quality is great. For me though it was a bit repetitive. I wanted the newly added elements to grab me and fill me with more but they feel flat for me...for instance, at about 1:15 the synth with lots of reverb in the background. Then the guitar at the end was a nice touch but bring it forward more...and maybe add a short guitar riff in the intro for better balance
I get what you're saying. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! Do you think I need more instruments? I wasn't sure what to add.
wagtunes wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:56 pm
Comments: By a minute in, you lost me. Track isn't developing fast enough, especially not for a 2 minute track. Needs a top line melody desperately. For me, this is just unfinished background noise. Mix is okay but nothing special. Instruments are also okay but nothing special. Abrupt ending didn't help. Very ordinary piece.
I would probably make it longer in that case since I wanted it to be a slower song. Thanks for the comments, though!
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:04 pm i really like this. It's refreshingly different and inventive for EDM ... no cliches or ridiculous breakdowns. Could do with a little "ear candy" early on. The guitar at the end is cool. The track reminded me of Lorde a little. The mix is pretty good and could be longer for me. Good work. I'm listening again :)
Thanks a lot! Yeah, I do hear the intro being monotonous.

Nice little piece, I like the sound-design here. Don't think it is really that repetitive, there seem to be enough sudden little changes to make it interesting. Good work.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Enjoyed your sounds and groove. Not too repetitive, though it ends right where it could come together as a whole. There is a calmness nicely embedded in the thing. Could you get another min or 2 out of it?
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

recursive one wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:30 pm Nice little piece, I like the sound-design here. Don't think it is really that repetitive, there seem to be enough sudden little changes to make it interesting. Good work.
Thanks!
Morgaxx wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:28 pm Enjoyed your sounds and groove. Not too repetitive, though it ends right where it could come together as a whole. There is a calmness nicely embedded in the thing. Could you get another min or 2 out of it?
I wasn’t sure how to proceed. Any ideas?

fun stuff, nice sounds and moves along nicely 8)
but yeah, the ending, it's a bit like you just gave up :hihi:

as said above, you could easy bring things back in there, either as a final upbeat all out dance epic! or bring in bit by bit again, but mixing the elements in different combinations?

hard to say, but theres definitely room for more :tu:

It makes me think of a train ride. Nice relaxing music.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Return to “Music Cafe”