Do Over - the Essentials

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Piano, acoustic guitar and concert flute.

I would still keep everything I have.

felis wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:35 pm I'm sure there must have been a thread like this already, but a search didn't turn it up.

I've bought tons of soft synths over the years, but find that there are a lot I don't really use.
Some rarely, and others almost never.

If I were starting today with what I know of my usage,
I would only get Absolute, Matrix 12V, SynclavierV, and Largo.

How about you guys?
No regrets here... I surely use some stuff less than other stuff, and, there's plugins in my VST folder which i don't use at all. It's somehow comforting that they're there though, whenver i need them. :)

As wagtunes said i would keep what i have
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

duplicated
Last edited by NewDelhiTommy on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If i could have Live, i'd be pretty well set with NeuralDSP Fortin Nameless Suite, ValhallaRoom and Ubermod, and maybe SaltyGrain. Synths...hard to say. i've recently rediscovered that Absynth covers a lot of ground for what i do, while managing to sidestep some of the obvious synth sounds i get when i use a VA or wavetable instrument. But i need something quick for bass, so i'd also need to bring along TRK-01 Play's bass module.

Bunch o’ freeware, plus only a few synths that cost anything, nowadays (plus, of course, what comes with my two DAWs).

Seems perfect, tbh. So I wouldn’t make any changes.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:21 pm Piano, acoustic guitar and concert flute.

If you're going to go that route, it would be Ludwig drums, Fender bass, and Kurzweil keyboard for me.

I don't play guitar.

And for software, I was just talking about what you actually use a lot.
Yes, I have a lot of stuff that I don't really use, but I'm not going to dump it off my drive.
It's just there, waiting for me to pay some attention to it. :D

I love what Zebra 2 has allowed me to do. I could have saved a lot of money starting with that one. Still, I want more synths.

I've wondered how UVI Falcon would do as one's only synth. Those who own it, what say you?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:37 pm I would still keep everything I have.
I don't think it's about keeping what you have, but what you would/could buy if you had to start over.
Maybe to add another wrinkle for you is the condition of what you'd rebuy if you weren't in business of making sounds and just limited yourself to making music?

e.g.
In this, I wouldn't be able to get Cakewalk or Camel synths. And even though they're good, I would probably not step back into the Native Instruments, Garritan, iZotope, Image Line products of NFR and other marketing schemes.
Forgotten wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:21 pm Piano, acoustic guitar and concert flute.
+1 there, add a set of timbales and that's exactly where I started from!

BBFG# wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:21 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:37 pm I would still keep everything I have.
I don't think it's about keeping what you have, but what you would/could buy if you had to start over.
Maybe to add another wrinkle for you is the condition of what you'd rebuy if you weren't in business of making sounds and just limited yourself to making music?

e.g.
In this, I wouldn't be able to get Cakewalk or Camel synths. And even though they're good, I would probably not step back into the Native Instruments, Garritan, iZotope, Image Line products of NFR and other marketing schemes.
+1 there, add a set of timbales and that's exactly where I started from!
Fair enough. If I was starting all over today, buying only what I use fairly regularly, it would probably be the following:

Zebra 2
Synthmaster 2
Dune 3
Diva
Legend
Omnisphere

And then all the specialty products like drums, bass, brass, strings and other sample and physical modeling products that aren't synths. In fact, these days, I use them more than I use synths making mostly rock and pop tracks that are primarily drums, bass and guitar based. I don't do a lot of EDM. But I do use orchestral stuff a lot so all my EWQL and VSL stuff I'd buy again. Unique things like M-Tron, Realivox Ladies, etc. I'd buy again.

I'd still end up spending a good $10,000 I'm sure.

Ultimately, it's nice to know that you can do just about any genre in existence. Once I get Warp IV, I'll even be able to do Big Band tracks.

I'm looking forward to that.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:36 pm
Fair enough. If I was starting all over today, buying only what I use fairly regularly, it would probably be the following:

Zebra 2
Synthmaster 2
Dune 3
Diva
Legend
Omnisphere

You are the third person in this thread to choose 5 or 6 synths and put Diva and Legend or Monark. I asked before but no one replied. Obviously you like Diva, but it must not meet all you moog needs. Is it not Moogy enough? Can you elaborate?

jeffb01 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:42 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:36 pm

Zebra 2
Synthmaster 2
Dune 3
Diva
Legend
Omnisphere

You are the third person in this thread to choose 5 or 6 synths and put Diva and Legend or Monark. I asked before but no one replied. Obviously you like Diva, but it must not meet all you moog needs. Is it not Moogy enough? Can you elaborate?
Diva isn't meant to be a moog emulation and it's not. It simply doesn't sound like a mini no matter what you do to it. I'm not tech enough to explain why. So for a more authentic moog emulation, I turn to Legend. It's the same with if I want an Oberheim sound. Diva doesn't really do it. Of course, to be fair, there aren't ANY amazing Oberheim emulations. OP-X Pro II is about the closest.

Okay. Fair enough. But it is meant to be a moog mini (among other things). It just is. I recently picked up Diva (I have legend and monark), so what Osc/filters do you like most on diva? You don't care for Arturia's oberheim? Thank you for answering my question.

It isn't meant to be that, according to Urs, IIRC.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Instruments”