Softube Monoment Bass: A new bass synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One thing confused me a bit, after checking the demo... it sounds ok in general, effects really good. But why they missed completely the retrigger? Especially for bass and basslines, the simple option/feature to activate retrigger with every new note isn`t possible.

Like classic 16th note basslines for e.g. techno with a percussive shape or short filter decay won`t work through "just" legato. Confused me a lot :(

I'm not sure I understand, it always retriggers. There is no option for it not to retrigger.

Last night I was playing around a bit more with it. I compared it with some of my go-to synths - Vacuum Pro, DUNE, Hive, Thorn and Tyrell N6 - and the only one that came close to it for bottom-end oomph was the freebie. Monoment really does have some serious low-end grunt. It's not very versatile but it does what it does really well, I think. I reckon I'll probably end up paying the $79 before the offer expires next week.
Last edited by BONES on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Bass Master wipes the floor with it.

this stuff is badass ! the most easy way to have heavy bass...
i purchased it on Jrrshop I hope they will deliver the serial soon !

How does it compare to SubBoomBass by Rob Papen?

Tried Bass Master a while back and hated the sounds. Maybe it's just a taste thing.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

4damind wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:32 pm How does it compare to SubBoomBass by Rob Papen?

You can have a heavy badass grit sound with monoment , it is something you can't do with Subboombass .Buy /Try it while it is on sale....you will not regret it.Softube unleashed a monster...
If you have Spire and Monoment you can b*tch everybody !

sqigls wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:24 amBass Master wipes the floor with it.
Really? I tried BassMaster when it came out but it didn't 'impress me too much. In what way is it better? BassMaster is on sale at Plugin Boutique at the moment so maybe I should have another go at the demo.

Anyway, the other night I tried putting Monoment into a few existing songs of ours and the results were interesting. It has tons of bottom-end oomph but very little presence in the mix, which makes it ideal for layering with other instruments or leaving plenty of room for your mix to breathe. I am really impressed with how I've been able to sit it into existing mixes and the thump it's provided. I am definitely going to buy it once my stuff sells on eBay.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

well, it's subjective isn't it...
I'm a fan of the underground, dubby and 'English' side of all things bass... and the Bass Master presets, especially the expansions (very affordable), just suit me better.
I think they both sound great, and the Softube jobby might be even be more versatile, but I found the presets are a tad meh. That and the price difference, and lack of iLok requirement made Bass Master more attractive to me.

it's a matter of taste i guess.
I have NEVER gelled with any of the FXpansion plugins for example, they sound great sure, but their sound just doesn't gel with me at all. None of their plugins, effect nor synth. But i'm sure there are a ton on people who love their stuff.

As far as Sub Boom Bass... well, I used it for about a year or two, but i've found there's a difference in tightness and density which that plugin just lacks. If bass is not solid and focussed, all the low end in the world won't save it. I'm not sure how to explain it, maybe it's mostly the envelopes, but something to do with oscillator density or something... Like Bones just said, the presence in the mix.
the Papen stuff is a bit 'fuzzy'.

In all honesty i think Carbon Electra is one of the best soft or hardware synths for bass.
and that's dirt cheap, most of the expansions are quite useful too.

I have no idea what "the underground, dubby and 'English' side of all things bass" means. Not the first clue, even. I also hate too many presets so a synth with lots of them is an instant turn-off. Give me 64 really good ones, that show off what a synth can do, and that's all I need to get going.

I tried out BassMaster again this morning and they are chalk and cheese for me. BM just sounds like a million other synths, where this thing has it's own sound. It's in the samples they use as sound sources. Monoment is full of lush, thick, unison sounds where BassMaster uses more conventional oscillator samples. BM is like a normal synth with a bit of a kick in the bottom end where Monoment is very much it's own thing. Monoment is more like Substance, where BM is like everything else.

Interesting that you like Carbon Electra. I installed the demo but I thought it sounded awful, as in one of the wort synths I've heard in a long time. I couldn't believe they had the audacity to charge money for it.

^you have no notions whatsoever about uk house/garage? how bizarre, or maybe aussies are more removed from the british music scene than I thought.

Report him to the queen.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

acYm wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:58 pm ^you have no notions whatsoever about uk house/garage? how bizarre, or maybe aussies are more removed from the british music scene than I thought.
The problem is that those terms already had definitions before they were misappropriated by the dance music scene. To me "garage" means thrashy rock bands from the late 60s and 70s, no electronic instruments anywhere to be heard. Similarly, "Detroit" means Iggy & The Stooges and the MC5, more garage rock/ Proto-Punk. Again, nothing to do with electronic music.

I lost track of what "house" means the early 90s, mostly through not giving a shit about it. Through the late 80s I could identify something as "house" but then it went off in different directions and became meaningless to me.

When someone says "dubby bass", I assume they are talking about a fingered bass guitar with lots of delay/echo on it, "dub" being another genre I don't associate with electronic music.

"Underground" to me means Post-Punk. Bands like The Names, Sad Lovers & Giants, The Comsat Angels, etc. who've never achieved any real success but have solid followings away from the mainstream.

The stuff you re talking about is stuff I would probably just identify as pop music or dance music because that's as much of a differentiation as I need to make to know it's something I won't like.

And it's clearly not an Australian thing because the guy I was responding to lives in Melbourne.

Back on topic, I paids me money last night, having made $800 from selling stuff on eBay. Considering how much I was on the fence about it, I am now very happy I took the plunge. I think I will get a lot of use out of it.

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:33 am
acYm wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:58 pm ^you have no notions whatsoever about uk house/garage? how bizarre, or maybe aussies are more removed from the british music scene than I thought.
The problem is that those terms already had definitions before they were misappropriated by the dance music scene. To me "garage" means thrashy rock bands from the late 60s and 70s, no electronic instruments anywhere to be heard. Similarly, "Detroit" means Iggy & The Stooges and the MC5, more garage rock/ Proto-Punk. Again, nothing to do with electronic music.

I lost track of what "house" means the early 90s, mostly through not giving a shit about it. Through the late 80s I could identify something as "house" but then it went off in different directions and became meaningless to me.

When someone says "dubby bass", I assume they are talking about a fingered bass guitar with lots of delay/echo on it, "dub" being another genre I don't associate with electronic music.

"Underground" to me means Post-Punk. Bands like The Names, Sad Lovers & Giants, The Comsat Angels, etc. who've never achieved any real success but have solid followings away from the mainstream.

The stuff you re talking about is stuff I would probably just identify as pop music or dance music because that's as much of a differentiation as I need to make to know it's something I won't like.

And it's clearly not an Australian thing because the guy I was responding to lives in Melbourne.
Holy shit you got me to post.

It means all that shit to me too but this is a thread for vst romplers that are synonymous with speed garage.

:tu: mowfawka ask about the unkown not lecture us on unidyn iii sm57s and fender jazz basses

Look im finally a cawksuckmofzwka not talking about the point of a thread!!!

Sweet I can hang with Maxine Waters now!

I might get the softube just to swap lows and mids with another rompler and sample into an e6400 ultra.

Then play chops on my tele and then Ill look in my butterfly mirror and say Whats up doc brown and time travel between both of your grandmas basments.

Holy Pooop farts. Im making a new forum.

Return to “Instruments”