Journey-of-Discovery

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone

I decided to revisit a tune I did a while ago, but with a few new plugins I recently added to my collection

https://soundcloud.com/ant-832623685/jo ... overy-2019

Enjoy!

My Feedback

Music - 9.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 10
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 9.25

Comments: Mix is a little uneven. Not terribly so but some instruments should be brought up a little more and some brought down a little bit. Adjustments will probably be minor. Otherwise, very nice. Enjoyed the music.

Antler just listening on phone. Will maybe listen on monitors later.

It is well put together and pleaaant and good playing.

For curiosity are the ac and electric guitars "real" or synthetic? They sound real on the phone (and well played). Just curious in case it happens that some of them are synthetic, how they were done? Because it would be rather good synthesis to get such a natural sounding result.

Only one possibly dumb comment on the arrangement: The strings seem to run thru most of the song. That makes it sound I don't know the right word, string part an automatic not thought-our addition to the arrangement? Seems to "cheapen" an otherwise nice arrangement with good instrumental interplay, all the other different parts coming and going as appropriate to the arrangement.

Yeah sure the piano and drums are there thru the whole song as well but those tracks don't give the "autopilot arrangement" impression like the constant strings.

Not scathing criticism, just a dumb idea just one opinion. It might sound "more pro" whatever that is if maybe there were strings in only 30 to 50 percent of the song.

The strings sound fine. It's just that often talented amateurs will play piano all the way thru, organ all the way thru, strings all the way thru, every track wall to wall all the way thru. Which gives a certain signature. In your song the strings are the only track that hits my ear thataway.

Good job!

Journey of discovery: It's fun listening your song. Nice start with guitars, main melody
by piano.

My suggestion for improvement (only my taste): Leave away the violins, they
make it too clammy and oversweet (just for me). :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

nice arrangement, bit happy for my personal tastes, but mix sounds clean
good work.

This is an accomplished piece. Quite lush. As others have noted, every nook and cranny is filled with sound. For some reason, the hi-hats stuck out as overly busy for a mellow piece like this.

Good job. :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:11 pm My Feedback

Music - 9.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 10
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 9.25

Comments: Mix is a little uneven. Not terribly so but some instruments should be brought up a little more and some brought down a little bit. Adjustments will probably be minor. Otherwise, very nice. Enjoyed the music.
Thanks for the feedback wagtunes.

You're right: on listening again, the mix could probably do with a few more volume envelopes to balance out the instruments here and there.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for listening JCJR
JCJR wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:27 pm For curiosity are the ac and electric guitars "real" or synthetic?
They're synthetic: the acoustic guitars are from AmpleSound, and the electric is ISW Shreddage 3

JCJR wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:27 pm Only one possibly dumb comment on the arrangement: The strings seem to run thru most of the song. That makes it sound I don't know the right word, string part an automatic not thought-our addition to the arrangement?
Not dumb at all. I'm prone to being too 'close' to my own music to not realise where I can make improvements; it's only through honest feedback that I can learn to improve. I know what you mean: e.g. if a song is 'big' in all sections, it loses its size because there is no 'small' section with which it contrasts.

Thanks for listening, and the comments. Glad you liked it.

enroe wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:15 pm Journey of discovery: It's fun listening your song. Nice start with guitars, main melody
by piano.

My suggestion for improvement (only my taste): Leave away the violins, they
make it too clammy and oversweet (just for me). :tu:
I probably got a little carried away with the strings/string runs, trying to make something 'happen' all the time. You're probably right; the mix might be improved by giving a little more space here and there.

Thanks for listening. Glad you liked it.

vurt wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:31 pm nice arrangement, bit happy for my personal tastes, but mix sounds clean
good work.
Thanks for listening and the comments, vurt.

Frantz wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:13 am This is an accomplished piece. Quite lush. As others have noted, every nook and cranny is filled with sound. For some reason, the hi-hats stuck out as overly busy for a mellow piece like this.

Good job. :tu:
At the time of writing, I had another tune stuck in my head that had quite active hi-hats (though a different pattern); I guess there may have been some subconscious transference going on :)

Thanks for listening and the feedback, Frantz

It’s a well done. It sounds to me like it’s an uplifting type of music that might be used in a PBS special.

Antler wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:27 pm
JCJR wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:27 pm For curiosity are the ac and electric guitars "real" or synthetic?
They're synthetic: the acoustic guitars are from AmpleSound, and the electric is ISW Shreddage 3
Thanks I looked those up. Seem pretty nice. Sounds more realistic than me trying to play an actual guitar. :) I haven't kept up with virtual instruments for a long time.

Return to “Music Cafe”