NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
12606 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 am

mgw38 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:10 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am
I get the whole cross-talk idea, at least in as much as it's worth mixing for stereo speakers at all these days. But I don't get the idea of head-tracking for non-VR usage. Surely one of the advantages of using headphones is always being in the sweet-spot, so why would we want to recreate all the disadvantages that those head movements bring?
For stereo setups it is a bit of a gimmick. Very simply put, you start to need head tracking as soon as you have directional sound coming out of more sources than you have ears. That is not necessarily only VR, but it is always at least some form of surround sound setup.
But this is where I'm getting lost. With surround systems (Home/Cinema), we assume the viewer/listener is in a 'fixed' position, and the sound is encoded/placed with that position in mind. If the mixer's intention is for a sound to be moving from left-to-right behind us, then that's where it should be. With virtual reality, there are reasons why you might want to turn around to face whatever it is that's behind you, but for normal surround applications it doesn't seem to make sense.

Anyway, I see you have a link to some Mobius stuff. I remember Gaz Williams' priceless reaction to them :hihi: They've kinda fallen off my radar since then, but I'd love to try them at some point :tu:

reggie1979
KVRian
771 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:30 am

I consulted Mr. Wallet and he said NO F...ING WAY so I won't be demoing this.

Too bad too because it's right up my ally.

User avatar
mgw38
KVRAF
1781 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 am

But you cannot really distinguish if something is in front of you or in the back unless you can actually turn your head. In „reality“ we are capable to identify directions based on the geometry of our auditory system but this cannot be recreated using headphones alone.

ShawnG
KVRian
687 posts since 27 Apr, 2005

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am
I get the whole cross-talk idea, at least in as much as it's worth mixing for stereo speakers at all these days. But I don't get the idea of head-tracking for non-VR usage. Surely one of the advantages of using headphones is always being in the sweet-spot, so why would we want to recreate all the disadvantages that those head movements bring?
I have nx already. I am generally ambivalent about the head tracking, but: 1 It is kinda cool, and 2. I don't always want to hear the sweet spot, if I want to hear something specific in the left channel, it's fairly intuitive to just lean in that direction rather than farting around in the DAW. Also you can turn it off.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3243 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Oh waves...another gimmicky plugin for people in midlife crisis desperetly trying to get in to music and thinking that they need everything related to Abbey Roads to create that one hit because their youth bands were recorded there. So hopes are this plugin will make them rockstars in their 50s :clown:

Anyways, maybe plugin is actually good, i havent tried. Dont know if it sounds same as that studio (nor i really care), i doubt many will know either. You just have to trust the developer then. But from all the videos, its little gimmicky thing :)

In this video at the end the guy says the mix sounds boring without this plugin wich kinda defeats the purpose of mixing - you have to add life to it and if acoustic simulation adds that it only distorts your whole view on the mix and after disabling that plugin the decisions you have made might do even worse for the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OG4jPpnokg

jochicago
KVRist
480 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 am

Elektronisch wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:57 pm
the guy says the mix sounds boring without this plugin wich kinda defeats the purpose of mixing
I think the point there was that headphones don't reveal sound the way monitors do. Having a small speaker right next to your ear is a very different experience from letting the sound "breathe" when it comes from larger speakers a fair distance away and having those air waves travel to get to you and overlap a bit.

So the point is that they try to simulate the physics of sound coming out of larger speakers in the room so that what you hear in your headphones is more organic. So the boring part is not that the music is boring, but that the headphone reproduction is boring, and that using a room simulator brings life into the music the way it is best heard using larger speakers a fair distance away.

If you have a well treated room and good monitors, then the whole conversation about the headphones is moot. But even then, the headphones are providing 3 controlled signature references plus the 3d head movement thing in case you want that. It cannot hurt to have headphone references painstakingly designed from a classic room that was also painstakingly designed.

I like my room but I did not painstakingly design anything. My monitors are $300 and I just dropped them on the desk and hoped for the best, then I tried them and thought "a bit boomy but good enough" and haven't moved a finger since.

sguyader
KVRer
15 posts since 22 May, 2019

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:16 am


reggie1979
KVRian
771 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 am

No. That guy pans everything. He's an annoying twit. I'm glad his face is covered :lol:

sguyader
KVRer
15 posts since 22 May, 2019

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am

reggie1979 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 am
No. That guy pans everything. He's an annoying twit. I'm glad his face is covered :lol:
I know many guys hate him here, that's why I posted this video.

I downloaded the demo of ARS3, and it sounds weird. It wasn't on a final mix, so maybe it did emphasize what's wrong in my project, I don't know. But it felt uncomfortable and... well, not that convincing to me. It didn't make me fee like I used big speakers in a room.
Maybe I/someone should try to to create a mix from scratch with it, and see how it compares afterwards.

reggie1979
KVRian
771 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 am

I've always found that they don't help me as much as a simple reference. They seem to effect the sound negatively and it's like "well, now what do I do???" But if I had the cash I'd demo it anyways.

As far as our friend White Sea is concerned, he's hated because he starts out reading the tin (any monkey can do that), then putting on his sour-puss face, then making a half-assed attempt at trying it, then concluding it's snake oil. 90% of his vids are this way. I don't want to monitize his site so he has money.

User avatar
pixel85
KVRian
526 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:37 am

sguyader wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am
reggie1979 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 am
No. That guy pans everything. He's an annoying twit. I'm glad his face is covered :lol:
I know many guys hate him here, that's why I posted this video.

I downloaded the demo of ARS3, and it sounds weird. It wasn't on a final mix, so maybe it did emphasize what's wrong in my project, I don't know. But it felt uncomfortable and... well, not that convincing to me. It didn't make me fee like I used big speakers in a room.
Maybe I/someone should try to to create a mix from scratch with it, and see how it compares afterwards.
I guess you need to spend a lot of time listening to your favorite/reference tracks to get used to new 'environment'.
It's like with mixing in new environment/setup. You have to get used to it/learn it before you make high quality mixes.
don't use plugin/s in this topic! It has aliasing at -196dB and 60fps

jochicago
KVRist
480 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:45 am

sguyader wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am
...
Just quoted you to spam you like you spammed this thread with that useless video that nobody should watch :tu:

User avatar
Spencer Maddox
KVRian
519 posts since 19 Oct, 2017 from a state of anxiety

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:50 am

perfumer wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 am
So it's an IR reverb with extra gimmicks? And who the f**k is Abbey Road? f**k off, morons!

This was a joke right..?
If not then please actually delete your account.
Freinds Don't Let Freinds use Serum Presets

User avatar
pixel85
KVRian
526 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:51 am

Mr. Snake Oil is cool guy but he lost it in this video :D Emotions took control over his logical thinking.
Testing room simulation plugin - shocked that is simulate diffuse and other room acoustics.
'You can't change headphones impulse response from the software'... well I guess that Sonarworks and many others may disagree ;)

Also comments are not much better: 'I spend so much to build my studio why would I screw it with this plugin?'. Seriously people don't understand that everything have a purpose and developers not necessarily create something keeping those particular people/person in mind?
'It's not created for me so it sucks!' - mind-like people are really cute
don't use plugin/s in this topic! It has aliasing at -196dB and 60fps

reggie1979
KVRian
771 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:53 am

pixel85 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:51 am
Mr. Snake Oil is cool guy but he lost it in this video :D Emotions took control over his logical thinking.
Testing room simulation plugin - shocked that is simulate diffuse and other room acoustics.
'You can't change headphones impulse response from the software'... well I guess that Sonarworks and many others may disagree ;)

Also comments are not much better: 'I spend so much to build my studio why would I screw it with this plugin?'. Seriously people don't understand that everything have a purpose and developers not necessarily create something keeping those particular people/person in mind?
'It's not created for me so it sucks!' - mind-like people are really cute
See, I didn't need to watch :lol:

But why do you call him a "cool guy?" I mean, he's really not. He just gets off trashing a bunch of stuff he doesn't understand.

Return to “Effects”