MDrummer's mixer appearance

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There must be a better way to show the mixer than this with the Neon theme. This view is dizzying, not nice to look at. It might give a not so bad impression at the size shown by KVR, but full screen it's not so nice. The first thing to question would be why are the faders of different colours ? When I mix, using Harrison Mixbus32C, I put colours to tracks but here in MDrummer they are quite superfluous I find, and are contributing to give this dizzying outlook.

mDrummerMixer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I somewhat agree.
When colours are present, they should be editable/ assignable at the very least.
Personally, I would probably do something horrible looking anyway due to colourblindness, but shouldn't the metering bar contain a colour that is related to the colour that the fader/ track contains?
BTW, are all of the tracks coloured? I can only tell the difference on a few of them.

The faders are different colours to indicate the drum categories of kit pieces. You could disable "Enable colourization" in Settings.

Better?

All of the Mixer channel strips are coloured. The channel levels are all the same colour (mid grey here).

And to simplify things, I'm pretty sure that you can remove unused Mixer channel strips, by deleting the kit piece in the DrumSet Editor (for a short-cut, click the [pencil] button just above [M] in the Mixer)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Your example shows only two faders. And they do not have any colorization in their fader slots.

Removing colorization highlights the second cause of the dizzy outlook:

The coloring of each fader's travel slot, as shown below.

To provide better user feedback ? The bright horizontal line across each fader knob is not enough ? Imagine the same principle on a real live mixing console. It wouldn't sell for very basic reasons as it would be difficult to work with such a console where each fader travel slot shines back at you. Except perhaps for Xmas parties.

Strips of colours with different functions that visually compete side by side is a curious notion for this kind of display. It certainly is not relaxing. Almost inviting to not see this display.

Again, the effect of seeing it on KVR is not the same as full screen. At full screen with all the faders, the light in each fader slot competes for attention with the actual meters. Making the meters brighter won't help.

MDrummerMixer2.jpg

Now here's a busy mixer screen. Yet, everything is clear and does not induce any dizzyness at full screen use. It's actually comfortable and ample time can be spent taking care of mixing details. It's not a screen one wants to fly away from.

Mixbus32CMixer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mevla wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:05 pm Your example shows only two faders. And they do not have any colorization in their fader slots.
True, it was not meant to be the full mixer. And the removal of the fader slot colour was intentional; I just left the colour on the handles.
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:20 pm True, it was not meant to be the full mixer.
And then the total visual effect is not the same.
DarkStar wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:20 pmAnd the removal of the fader slot colour was intentional; I just left the colour on the handles.
All right. And it looks better. So how can I also do that ?

That has to be done in the Textured Style Editor (it's on Windows only). Here's a Mixer mock-up (and I dropped the bright white text colour to a light grey).

And, yes, it does look better. You can also see that the channel strip background is slightly tinted. I think that the original problem is not helped by the length of the fader increasing when the window is made taller.

Now, should that grey slot be done for the horizontal sliders sliders too? And should it the the same grey as that above the handle or slightly lighter?
Inspired by ...

...maybe consider making the horizontal slider color the same as the fader, might help with vertical eye tracking organization...I would have made the meter gain bars possibly the same color as well...hth.../s~
mba m2 15" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
mbp i9 16" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
logic10.8.1  | reaper7.07 | focusrite.2i2

The meter bars are fixed / hard-coded. Or at least I cannot see a way to change them :)
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:55 pm And, yes, it does look better. You can also see that the channel strip background is slightly tinted. I think that the original problem is not helped by the length of the fader increasing when the window is made taller.
That looks way better. It actually becomes a screen where one does not want to fly away from.

As a detail I'd question the use of subdued colours for the strips. I mean, there are pictures of each drum component, the fader knobs - which are the focus of attention - all have a group-distinct colour well seen, so why then have the background of the strips contributing to distract somewhat ? A uniform background would call attention on the job-to-do, mixing, by removing unnecessary distractions and in this case, duplicates of what's already being stated by the colours on the fader knobs and the pictures at the bottom of each strip.
DarkStar wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:55 pm Now, should that grey slot be done for the horizontal sliders sliders too? And should it the the same grey as that above the handle or slightly lighter?
That, I have no idea. :wink:

Is there any way to upload user images for the drums and cymbals???

Return to “MeldaProduction”