Do you use chord generator tools or similar plugins to create chords? Which ones?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

oh come on!
you ended with "i never repeat myself" i bring comedy gold!!!
which you then ruin with edits :cry:

im wasted here :drunk:

jancivil wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:59 pm
datroof wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:51 pm I've found "set-class" theory notation, the Allan Forte list of set-classes, and all of that stuff, to be really handy in a lot of ways, but especially for dealing with groupings of notes that don't fit conventional labeling, or movement that isn't based on common practice, chord changes or jazz theory. I know you're familiar with this Jan - but I highly recommend folks at least take a look at the 20th century "atonal/non-tonal/post-tonal" concepts, even if the resulting music doesn't appeal to you, because they are systematic attempts to escape conventional music theory, and they introduce some handy concepts - different ways of looking at and notating music.
I quite agree, albeit I'm not an intellectual like that. I did take an elective at CCM which was strictly from 12-tone rows, and later I read Forte The Atonal Music of Anton Webern and the essay Schoenberg As Webern, the former kind of extensively, etc to the point my understanding is... pretty good, I can improvise what seems like serial dodecaphony in real time. But I don't do abstract thinking at all today, I'm going with intuition.
Right on.

I've taken a couple of classes about Post-Tonal Theory (kind of a catch-all phrase) which got me started reading everything I could find on the topic. I loved those classes, and I'm still going back to the homework assignments and textbooks for material/inspiration.

vurt wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:07 pm oh come on!

How does expanding on I repeat myself ruin the statement. That doesn't make actual sense.

The thing I responded to was everybody repeats themselves every time, basically so they need the Orb thingy or like that.
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jancivil wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:17 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:07 pm oh come on!

How does expanding on I repeat myself ruin the statement. That doesn't make actual sense.
Show me two things I did where I had done, if this is so funny.
it didn't ruin your statement.

it ruined my joke

i never repeat myself

you can say that again

im not actually saying you have repeated yourself, just a wordplay thing :hug:

whereas after your edit, it actually looks like im taking the piss. which i am not :)

I didn't get that. I'm not really a wordplay sort of person I realized recently.

I almost posted King Crimson I REPEAT MYSELF WHEN UNDER STRESS at that point.

sorry, my mind is pretty dull lately

I start with Post-Tonal. I wrote some things as a student, around 18 years old which have everything to do with chromatic, late 19th c harmony but I got my fill of that and then some with all the part-writing in that style later. I actually can't stand quite a lot of tonal music because the obviousness annoys me or is just not doing it for me.

jancivil wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:31 pm I didn't get that. I'm not really a wordplay sort of person I realized recently.

now ive got that going round in my head :o

vurt wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:20 pm it didn't ruin your statement.

it ruined my joke

i never repeat myself

you can say that again
I saw it "I guess I'm a real music genius."
you can say that again

:D

tho I wouldn't say that again, it's just that this was the goalpost for not repeating yourself out of habits

Orb Composer does great job for me. You can check first results in this track:

https://open.spotify.com/track/2U9Owq8dExBaygAeNbOvld

It's a pricy tool, though, and takes some time to set up.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

jancivil wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:41 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:20 pm it didn't ruin your statement.

it ruined my joke

i never repeat myself

you can say that again
I saw it "I guess I'm a real music genius."
you can say that again

:D

tho I wouldn't say that again, it's just that this was the goalpost for not repeating yourself out of habits
:tu:
yeah i can see those tools being useful for someone if you find yourself looking for something off the beaten path, as with any tool i guess its how you use it. while there will be those who use it as an aid to their own theory there will also be those who use it as a "crutch"
i suppose the hope there is they learn by osmosis at least how things that work sound.
the urge to create is there it seems, maybe once they get their feet wet they will want more :)

the beaten path does have ruts in it, I steer pretty clear of it

datroof wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:07 pm I'm still going back to the homework assignments and textbooks for material/inspiration.
These 2 tunes started as homework assignments for post-tonal theory classes at U of WA. Both break rules in different ways.

https://soundcloud.com/datroof/discrepancy

https://soundcloud.com/datroof/the-plan

vurt wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:39 pm
jancivil wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:31 pm I didn't get that. I'm not really a wordplay sort of person I realized recently.

now ive got that going round in my head :o
Lucky bastard! I have something much worse in my head. I won't say what because I'm trying not to be a jerk.

Although, in truth, I now have "Indiscipline" in my head.

:)

I do think it's good.

I had ------ no, you don't want it either, in my head all day and night yesterday. I listened to one cover of it. Man was I sick of that stupid song. I have pieces of my own with sticky enough tunes fortunately.

I used to just fiddle around in piano or guitar and try things to come up with stuff. But now I use the chord tools in cubase as well as scaler. They are useful tools and help get things done fast. you really notice how useful they are when you start arranging other parts such as bass or horns. The tools make you know where you are in arranging. I guess it really depends what level of music theory training you have and the type of music you make. But.IMO, there.is nothing wrong with using those tools as long as you are creating interesting and original material. I view it like a drum machine . If you aren't a drummer and don't know how to play 16th note hi hats in consistent time, use a machine.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Return to “Production Techniques”