Why so little respect for the synthetic "instruments" we're creating?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Benedict wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:27 am
BONES wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:34 am Vangelis or JM Jarre. Those guys already sounded dated, even back then. Later on in that decade it was Skinny Puppy that set the pace, which made that tired, old stuff sound even more old and tired.
OMG you just dissed The Big V. GRRRRR! back atcha

Altho hearing Vangelis and Skinny Puppy work together might be interesting seeing I like both

:-)
My first exposure to music as a kid was some weird K-Tel compilation tape that had JM Jarre and Vangelis on it. I just bought it because there was a space futurist guy on the cover but had no idea what the music was. It was weirdo electronic instrumental music back then in the era of Michael Jackson, E.T. .. in the same vein as Sky and Mike Oldfield. Miles away from Electric Boogaloo. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mfgPOn ... rw&index=2
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 am
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:20 am The thing is, back in the 60s and early 70s nobody around here referred to any genre other than pop and rock. We weren't genre hung up. In fact, most stuff was just referred to as top 40 which, at the time, could have been Led Zep, Carpenters and John Denver all on the same playlist. Specialty stations outside of country and classical didn't start for quite some time after. In this area, the specialty stations started when hip hop hit. Top 40 radio pretty much died. The days of playing Judy Collins followed by a Rolling Stones song were over.

Today, radio is so specialized that you might as well just get Sirius. At least with that, you have so many choices there's very little you can't hear. Commercial radio is absolute crap these days. At least in this part of the world.
Interesting you think that. I actually think radio is not specialized at all, at least not around here. There are only a handful of stations, and they all play the same songs over and over on all the stations. Which is interesting because as of the result of Spotify and the algorithm trends, i have discovered and gotten into more new artists and genres than I have ever before in my entire life. There is no f**king way I would have ever had the opportunity to get into people like San Halo and Flume back during the U2 / DIre Straits era when majors ran everything.
Obviously the US and Canada are different. Consider yourself lucky.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:39 am
telecode wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 am
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:20 am The thing is, back in the 60s and early 70s nobody around here referred to any genre other than pop and rock. We weren't genre hung up. In fact, most stuff was just referred to as top 40 which, at the time, could have been Led Zep, Carpenters and John Denver all on the same playlist. Specialty stations outside of country and classical didn't start for quite some time after. In this area, the specialty stations started when hip hop hit. Top 40 radio pretty much died. The days of playing Judy Collins followed by a Rolling Stones song were over.

Today, radio is so specialized that you might as well just get Sirius. At least with that, you have so many choices there's very little you can't hear. Commercial radio is absolute crap these days. At least in this part of the world.
Interesting you think that. I actually think radio is not specialized at all, at least not around here. There are only a handful of stations, and they all play the same songs over and over on all the stations. Which is interesting because as of the result of Spotify and the algorithm trends, i have discovered and gotten into more new artists and genres than I have ever before in my entire life. There is no f**king way I would have ever had the opportunity to get into people like San Halo and Flume back during the U2 / DIre Straits era when majors ran everything.
Obviously the US and Canada are different. Consider yourself lucky.
Over here, the only station where I actually hear interesting new stuff is the CBC which is the government funded one. They have shows where they play Canadian unknowns and you hear various stuff from artists from weirdo places like Nunavut and Manitoba. Some of it is not bad. The other stations are run by big media companies that just want to sell ads. They don't give two shits about advancing new and unknown artists. New music is discovered by clicking on the Spotify curated new music radar icon for you under your home profile. Unfortunately no money goes to artist -- it all goes to Spotify for curating it for you. :-(

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Because commercial broadcast depends on advertisers, radio diversity depends on the local demographics, and if each listener group is big enough to attract advertisers. Therefore, its not a bad idea to move to a place simply because it has good radio stations:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _in_Canada
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:19 am Because commercial broadcast depends on advertisers, radio diversity depends on the local demographics, and if each listener group is big enough to attract advertisers. Therefore, its not a bad idea to move to a place simply because it has good radio stations:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _in_Canada
if you are from a major metropolitan city and used to living in a city, trust me, small town buttsville is going to be a culture shock. i recall my big road trip across northern ontario and new brunswick and it is anything but an instagam picture with some cute millennial girls backside staring back at you as she looks out in the other direction over the yonder.

"hey, come on over to our church stranger. we're giving away free hotdogs". you go over and everything and everyone seems a little like out of a David Lynch movie.

"hey, what kind of christians are you guys?"

"oh, don't worry so much honey. we believe in Jesus and we have a church. we're ALL the same. go on, have a free hot dog. its free."

run like hell!!!

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:34 am That's very true. When I think of "80s synth sounds", I think of Ultravox and John Foxx or Killing Joke and The Stranglers, not Vangelis or JM Jarre. Those guys, like Kraftwerk, already sounded dated, even back then. Later on in that decade it was Skinny Puppy that set the pace, which made that tired, old stuff sound even more old and tired. Listen to the synths in these, both from Killing Joke's first album in 1980. It's when I first started to get really interested in synth
yup, as Bones mentioned, Killng Joke and Stanglers and a slew of other cool artists back then. But lots and lots of other synth music from 80s that was nasty (but made with cool retro synths). Number one transgressor in my books. Italo Disco. The cheap and crappy knock off Georgio Moroder stuff made by guys on Italian coast in speedos, gold chain around neck, flip flops and lots and lots of Brio. And the shirt with collar always up. Just youtube "italo disco 80s megamix" play lists.

I'd rather not.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I have never in my life been dependent on top 40 radio for music. Radio got interesting with the advent of FM, to my recollection early 70s, I seem to recall like 1969, where there was open-minded, long album cuts orientation but I was more interested than that even as a child. I didn't hear anything very interesting on the radio before like 1969, FM radio geared to hippies. I'd heard some music by then. I'd heard My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama by 1970 on the radio (kind of a new record) but not It Can't Happen Here, or Who Are the Brain Police which was out of record trading with my girlfriend from the wrong side of the tracks. Or just appropriating hers. The End by the Doors was ubiquitous, I remember that much.

telecode wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:16 pm
BONES wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:34 am That's very true. When I think of "80s synth sounds", I think of Ultravox and John Foxx or Killing Joke and The Stranglers, not Vangelis or JM Jarre. Those guys, like Kraftwerk, already sounded dated, even back then. Later on in that decade it was Skinny Puppy that set the pace, which made that tired, old stuff sound even more old and tired. Listen to the synths in these, both from Killing Joke's first album in 1980. It's when I first started to get really interested in synth
yup, as Bones mentioned, Killng Joke and Stanglers and a slew of other cool artists back then. But lots and lots of other synth music from 80s that was nasty (but made with cool retro synths). Number one transgressor in my books. Italo Disco. The cheap and crappy knock off Georgio Moroder stuff made by guys on Italian coast in speedos, gold chain around neck, flip flops and lots and lots of Brio. And the shirt with collar always up. Just youtube "italo disco 80s megamix" play lists.
Giorgio Moroder (true pioneer btw) was imitated by so many people. Even nowadays i hear that "I Feel Love" loop pop up in so many tracks. Seems that if electronic producers are out of inspiration they use that loop again.

Italo Disco, can't help it but it always puts a smile on my face. I know it's wrong as fk but sometimes i just love that stuff. And i think most of us here will start singing along when they hear "Vamos a la Playa" :D
More BPM please

telecode wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:08 pm run like hell!!!
well, toronto used to be an orangetown just like that, too - hard to say whether it evolved out of it, or just forgot. (it's the latter)

vurt wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:22 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:12 pm wtf is going on in this thread?
what's it to you fisherboy? :box: :box:
im an angler! :x

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:34 am Those guys, like Kraftwerk, already sounded dated, even back then. Later on in that decade it was Skinny Puppy that set the pace, which made that tired, old stuff sound even more old and tired.
:lol:

Skinny Puppy's first album? Produced by Tom Ellard.

Maybe if you want to think of Severed Heads as "setting the pace", you're getting somewhere. I like me some Skinny Puppy, but let's not pretend that The Cabs, Throbbing Gristle etc from way before hadn’t already been there, done that.

As NME once famously described it, Mallinder had the "screeching over a vacuum cleaner" sound down to a fine art.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

throbbing gristle :band2:

i have one of chris carters drum machines here :D
dr008, with hand written notes still inside for some of his patterns :D

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:57 pm
youre a crab catching son of a lovely mum :)

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:57 pm
Bastard sea farmer.

Return to “Instruments”