NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mgw38 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 pm I get the whole cross-talk idea, at least in as much as it's worth mixing for stereo speakers at all these days. But I don't get the idea of head-tracking for non-VR usage. Surely one of the advantages of using headphones is always being in the sweet-spot, so why would we want to recreate all the disadvantages that those head movements bring?
For stereo setups it is a bit of a gimmick. Very simply put, you start to need head tracking as soon as you have directional sound coming out of more sources than you have ears. That is not necessarily only VR, but it is always at least some form of surround sound setup.
But this is where I'm getting lost. With surround systems (Home/Cinema), we assume the viewer/listener is in a 'fixed' position, and the sound is encoded/placed with that position in mind. If the mixer's intention is for a sound to be moving from left-to-right behind us, then that's where it should be. With virtual reality, there are reasons why you might want to turn around to face whatever it is that's behind you, but for normal surround applications it doesn't seem to make sense.

Anyway, I see you have a link to some Mobius stuff. I remember Gaz Williams' priceless reaction to them :hihi: They've kinda fallen off my radar since then, but I'd love to try them at some point :tu:

I consulted Mr. Wallet and he said NO F...ING WAY so I won't be demoing this.

Too bad too because it's right up my ally.

But you cannot really distinguish if something is in front of you or in the back unless you can actually turn your head. In „reality“ we are capable to identify directions based on the geometry of our auditory system but this cannot be recreated using headphones alone.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 pm I get the whole cross-talk idea, at least in as much as it's worth mixing for stereo speakers at all these days. But I don't get the idea of head-tracking for non-VR usage. Surely one of the advantages of using headphones is always being in the sweet-spot, so why would we want to recreate all the disadvantages that those head movements bring?
I have nx already. I am generally ambivalent about the head tracking, but: 1 It is kinda cool, and 2. I don't always want to hear the sweet spot, if I want to hear something specific in the left channel, it's fairly intuitive to just lean in that direction rather than farting around in the DAW. Also you can turn it off.

Oh waves...another gimmicky plugin for people in midlife crisis desperetly trying to get in to music and thinking that they need everything related to Abbey Roads to create that one hit because their youth bands were recorded there. So hopes are this plugin will make them rockstars in their 50s :clown:

Anyways, maybe plugin is actually good, i havent tried. Dont know if it sounds same as that studio (nor i really care), i doubt many will know either. You just have to trust the developer then. But from all the videos, its little gimmicky thing :)

In this video at the end the guy says the mix sounds boring without this plugin wich kinda defeats the purpose of mixing - you have to add life to it and if acoustic simulation adds that it only distorts your whole view on the mix and after disabling that plugin the decisions you have made might do even worse for the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OG4jPpnokg

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 am the guy says the mix sounds boring without this plugin wich kinda defeats the purpose of mixing
I think the point there was that headphones don't reveal sound the way monitors do. Having a small speaker right next to your ear is a very different experience from letting the sound "breathe" when it comes from larger speakers a fair distance away and having those air waves travel to get to you and overlap a bit.

So the point is that they try to simulate the physics of sound coming out of larger speakers in the room so that what you hear in your headphones is more organic. So the boring part is not that the music is boring, but that the headphone reproduction is boring, and that using a room simulator brings life into the music the way it is best heard using larger speakers a fair distance away.

If you have a well treated room and good monitors, then the whole conversation about the headphones is moot. But even then, the headphones are providing 3 controlled signature references plus the 3d head movement thing in case you want that. It cannot hurt to have headphone references painstakingly designed from a classic room that was also painstakingly designed.

I like my room but I did not painstakingly design anything. My monitors are $300 and I just dropped them on the desk and hoped for the best, then I tried them and thought "a bit boomy but good enough" and haven't moved a finger since.

No. That guy pans everything. He's an annoying twit. I'm glad his face is covered :lol:

reggie1979 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:17 pm No. That guy pans everything. He's an annoying twit. I'm glad his face is covered :lol:
I know many guys hate him here, that's why I posted this video.

I downloaded the demo of ARS3, and it sounds weird. It wasn't on a final mix, so maybe it did emphasize what's wrong in my project, I don't know. But it felt uncomfortable and... well, not that convincing to me. It didn't make me fee like I used big speakers in a room.
Maybe I/someone should try to to create a mix from scratch with it, and see how it compares afterwards.

I've always found that they don't help me as much as a simple reference. They seem to effect the sound negatively and it's like "well, now what do I do???" But if I had the cash I'd demo it anyways.

As far as our friend White Sea is concerned, he's hated because he starts out reading the tin (any monkey can do that), then putting on his sour-puss face, then making a half-assed attempt at trying it, then concluding it's snake oil. 90% of his vids are this way. I don't want to monitize his site so he has money.

sguyader wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:44 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:17 pm No. That guy pans everything. He's an annoying twit. I'm glad his face is covered :lol:
I know many guys hate him here, that's why I posted this video.

I downloaded the demo of ARS3, and it sounds weird. It wasn't on a final mix, so maybe it did emphasize what's wrong in my project, I don't know. But it felt uncomfortable and... well, not that convincing to me. It didn't make me fee like I used big speakers in a room.
Maybe I/someone should try to to create a mix from scratch with it, and see how it compares afterwards.
I guess you need to spend a lot of time listening to your favorite/reference tracks to get used to new 'environment'.
It's like with mixing in new environment/setup. You have to get used to it/learn it before you make high quality mixes.

sguyader wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:44 pm ...
Just quoted you to spam you like you spammed this thread with that useless video that nobody should watch :tu:

perfumer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 am So it's an IR reverb with extra gimmicks? And who the f**k is Abbey Road? f**k off, morons!

This was a joke right..?
If not then please actually delete your account.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Mr. Snake Oil is cool guy but he lost it in this video :D Emotions took control over his logical thinking.
Testing room simulation plugin - shocked that is simulate diffuse and other room acoustics.
'You can't change headphones impulse response from the software'... well I guess that Sonarworks and many others may disagree ;)

Also comments are not much better: 'I spend so much to build my studio why would I screw it with this plugin?'. Seriously people don't understand that everything have a purpose and developers not necessarily create something keeping those particular people/person in mind?
'It's not created for me so it sucks!' - mind-like people are really cute

pixel85 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 pm Mr. Snake Oil is cool guy but he lost it in this video :D Emotions took control over his logical thinking.
Testing room simulation plugin - shocked that is simulate diffuse and other room acoustics.
'You can't change headphones impulse response from the software'... well I guess that Sonarworks and many others may disagree ;)

Also comments are not much better: 'I spend so much to build my studio why would I screw it with this plugin?'. Seriously people don't understand that everything have a purpose and developers not necessarily create something keeping those particular people/person in mind?
'It's not created for me so it sucks!' - mind-like people are really cute
See, I didn't need to watch :lol:

But why do you call him a "cool guy?" I mean, he's really not. He just gets off trashing a bunch of stuff he doesn't understand.

Return to “Effects”