NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Elektronisch
KVRAF
3243 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:04 pm

I kinda understand why alot of dudes here hates the guy, its because alot of times he is actually right. And the truth hurts as we all know :)

Be real, he is most of the times telling the the truth how the things are without sweetening shit or being biased because of sponsorship.

If you understand what mixing is and how to achieve great results, your common sense should say that this plug in is a BS, just to to milk money from people who are always missing that one piece and idolise abbey road studios. Maybe its useful for some reference as a "virtual another pair of speakers" (but then again, there are also other acoustic simulation plugins wich you can use for reference).

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3243 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Spencer Maddox wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:50 am
perfumer wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 am
So it's an IR reverb with extra gimmicks? And who the f**k is Abbey Road? f**k off, morons!

This was a joke right..?
If not then please actually delete your account.
Why its a joke? Abbey Road is mostly known for old folks who grew up with music from 50-70s. I myself grew up with 90s music whos artists definatly werent recording at Abbey Road studios: ATB, The Prodigy, Scooter, Korn, Guano Apes, Cosmic Gate ect. I only heard about Abbey Road few years ago recently and because of waves and kvr.

reggie1979
KVRian
771 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:17 pm

Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:04 pm
I kinda understand why alot of dudes here hates the guy, its because alot of times he is actually right. And the truth hurts as we all know :)

Be real, he is most of the times telling the the truth how the things are without sweetening shit or being biased because of sponsorship.

If you understand what mixing is and how to achieve great results, your common sense should say that this plug in is a BS, just to to milk money from people who are always missing that one piece and idolise abbey road studios. Maybe its useful for some reference as a "virtual another pair of speakers" (but then again, there are also other acoustic simulation plugins wich you can use for reference).
:lol:

Wow, what is he truthful about? When he reads off the website? ;) He doesn't give any other relevant information. Honestly, if you think that is the truth, you scare me.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3243 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:32 pm

reggie1979 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:17 pm
Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:04 pm
I kinda understand why alot of dudes here hates the guy, its because alot of times he is actually right. And the truth hurts as we all know :)

Be real, he is most of the times telling the the truth how the things are without sweetening shit or being biased because of sponsorship.

If you understand what mixing is and how to achieve great results, your common sense should say that this plug in is a BS, just to to milk money from people who are always missing that one piece and idolise abbey road studios. Maybe its useful for some reference as a "virtual another pair of speakers" (but then again, there are also other acoustic simulation plugins wich you can use for reference).
:lol:

Wow, what is he truthful about? When he reads off the website? ;) He doesn't give any other relevant information. Honestly, if you think that is the truth, you scare me.
It scares me that you just wrote something that is totaly irelevant to what i wrote. I dont think you understand what i wrote or just misintepretated in some other way. What website you are talking about i have no idea.

reggie1979
KVRian
771 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm not going into a big thing with you, but saying White Sea is hated because of the truth is like saying the earth is flat.

The reason he's hated is because HE is more snake oil than the garbage he preaches ;)

User avatar
pixel85
KVRian
526 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:47 pm

reggie1979 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:53 am
pixel85 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:51 am
Mr. Snake Oil is cool guy but he lost it in this video :D Emotions took control over his logical thinking.
Testing room simulation plugin - shocked that is simulate diffuse and other room acoustics.
'You can't change headphones impulse response from the software'... well I guess that Sonarworks and many others may disagree ;)

Also comments are not much better: 'I spend so much to build my studio why would I screw it with this plugin?'. Seriously people don't understand that everything have a purpose and developers not necessarily create something keeping those particular people/person in mind?
'It's not created for me so it sucks!' - mind-like people are really cute
See, I didn't need to watch :lol:

But why do you call him a "cool guy?" I mean, he's really not. He just gets off trashing a bunch of stuff he doesn't understand.
Because it's his concept for videos. He even said (don't remember how often) that his videos should not be considered as a proper reviews but more like a goofy software tests. I simply don't take those videos seriously.
don't use plugin/s in this topic! It has aliasing at -196dB and 60fps

reggie1979
KVRian
771 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:03 pm

That actually makes it worse to me :lol: They sure are goofy.

User avatar
mgw38
KVRAF
1781 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:18 pm

I actually like the snake oil videos. I think they are hugely entertaining.

That aside, I did a couple of tests comparing it to the plain NX plugin for 7.1 surround sound monitoring with head tracking. The first thing you will immediately notice is that it opens up the soundstage substantially. NX sounds very artificial, almost clinical by comparison. With this one you suddenly have a very accurate recreation of a good sounding surround sound mixing room. Definitely a huge improvement over NX. If surround sound is your thing and you want to be able to mix surround sound with head phones, the Abbey Roads Studio plugin is something you definitely want to check out. There is nothing comparable on the market at the moment.

Now, I don't necessarily want to repeat myself. But just to be absolutely clear, if you are only doing stereo work, this is a bit of a gimmick. It is not really going to help you mix in stereo. Because it can't as is so eloquently pointed out in the snake oil video. And I also really don't care that this is a recreation of the Abbey Roads Studio. In reality, the recreation of any good sounding surround sound mixing room would do just as well. It is a bit unfortunate that Waves decided to use this marketing strategy because I think it clouds the real value of this plugin.
Last edited by mgw38 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jochicago
KVRist
480 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:04 pm
[...] alot of dudes here hates the guy, its because alot of times he is actually right
No my friend, it's because of the other times when he is a lot wrong, and he talks like he is right regardless.

But I'm glad to run into your opinion, because I'm starting a new Youtube channel that I think you are going to love. It's me in the morning before I've had my coffee, I feel I'm half useless so I have to burn some time until I wake up properly. So I'm going to start using that time to do plugin reviews and just say the first thing that comes to mind. Then the episode ends when I decide all plugins are garbage, and also studios I'm not familiar with. You are going to love my channel.

reggie1979
KVRian
771 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:57 pm

:hihi:

But I've heard now from more than one source that he's been quoted saying his videos are "goofy" which seems strange, but it would explain some things.

Anyways, what about the plug? Is any diggin' it? Hatin' it? ??

??

Spin Boyz
KVRist
425 posts since 1 Jul, 2007

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm

I tried it, made a mix with it, and did the car test. The mix sounded awesome. Bought it. I used Morphit after Abbey with some Philips Fidelio X2 cans.

reggie1979
KVRian
771 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Spin Boyz wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm
I tried it, made a mix with it, and did the car test. The mix sounded awesome. Bought it. I used Morphit after Abbey with some Philips Fidelio X2 cans.
What would be so cool, is if you had before and afters so that we can hear it :)

Spin Boyz
KVRist
425 posts since 1 Jul, 2007

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 pm

My room is not great. I have bass traps in the corners and on the walls, but my mixes are usually thin sounding. I've been mixing on Presonus E8s for years. My eq moves were different on the E8s w/IK's ARC2 on the master bus than in the X2s w/ARS3. My guess is that my bad room is the cause. I think hearing a mix of my terrible music would be pointless. I'd suggest that anyone who has monitors and cans to do the same shootout and see which one you like best. You will need something like Morphit or Sonarworks after ARS3 if you don't have the headphones that are in the ARS3 headphone eq drop down.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3243 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:48 pm

reggie1979 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:43 pm
I'm not going into a big thing with you, but saying White Sea is hated because of the truth is like saying the earth is flat.

The reason he's hated is because HE is more snake oil than the garbage he preaches ;)
I still dont understand what you are saying or what your point is besides mocking. And earth is flat comparison is a bit out of proportion.

User avatar
mladi
KVRian
518 posts since 14 Apr, 2016 from Germany

Re: NEW: Waves modeled a frickin Studio - Abbey Road Studio 3

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:53 pm

mgw38 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:18 pm
I actually like the snake oil videos. I think they are hugely entertaining.

That aside, I did a couple of tests comparing it to the plain NX plugin for 7.1 surround sound monitoring with head tracking. The first thing you will immediately notice is that it opens up the soundstage substantially. NX sounds very artificial, almost clinical by comparison. With this one you suddenly have a very accurate recreation of a good sounding surround sound mixing room. Definitely a huge improvement over NX. If surround sound is your thing and you want to be able to mix surround sound with head phones, the Abbey Roads Studio plugin is something you definitely want to check out. There is nothing comparable on the market at the moment.

Now, I don't necessarily want to repeat myself. But just to be absolutely clear, if you are only doing stereo work, this is a bit of a gimmick. It is not really going to help you mix in stereo. Because it can't as is so eloquently pointed out in the snake oil video. And I also really don't care that this is a recreation of the Abbey Roads Studio. In reality, the recreation of any good sounding surround sound mixing room would do just as well. It is a bit unfortunate that Waves decided to use this marketing strategy because I think it clouds the real value of this plugin.
1+ :tu:
Image
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K|ADAM Audio Artist 5|Focusrite Scarlett 18i20|Native Instruments Kontrol S61 MK2|Steinberg Cubase 10 Pro

Return to “Effects”