The Otterworld - smoothly flowing

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
mevla
KVRAF
2557 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:49 pm

A rather relaxing piece, although in a weird way somewhat. Done with all due respect to the Realm of the Otters.

Cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/the-otterworld

yellowmix
KVRian
1193 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Re: The Otterworld - smoothly flowing

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Cool. Otters are mermaids' cats. Manatees are cows of the sea, grazing gently. Really nice reedy lead patch halfway through. Good feels.

enroe
KVRian
1008 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:45 pm

I hear many cymbals and rides at the start - the intro needs time to develop.
The vocal-fragments are very devensive and reluctant - maybe that is
part of the concept. It is a nice non-obtrusive song. :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

mevla
KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:30 am

Thanks for the comments ! Yes, the dialog is one of a disagreement and contributes in its own way to offset the relaxing mood somewhat. With the weirdness of the 'spirits' around to which the people in the dialog are completely unaware, it reminds a bit of a scene in Gilliam's "Time Bandits" where a couple in their house is doing stuff while there's that giant Neptune that comes by and simply squashes the house and everything with his foot. And then the other voices stating a "fact" as to assure a foothold.

wagtunes
KVRAF
16702 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:28 pm

My Feedback

Music - 5
Instruments - 6
Performance - 6
Mix - 5

Overall - 5.5

Comments: Mix just doesn't work for me at all. Bass is loud. The cymbals and stuff in the background is soft. The pad has too much mid and really needs some brightening. The vocal (what there is of it) is dull and lifeless. Hell, it's barely audible. Musically, it appears to be a chord progression played over and over. The horn lead is dull and also needs some major EQ. By 3 minutes in, it's obvious that I'm in for another minute of the same thing played over and over. The slight arrangement changes aren't enough to make this track interesting.

mevla
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:42 am

Yes, the bass has a first overlapping role in this, with its pedal tones. The cymbals and "stuff" could be a bit brighter, with that I agree. Vocals ? There are no vocals. There are spoken words. The dialog in the middle part is not meant to be understood clearly (even if you'd understand the language which you might not). Yes the same chords are played over, you got that right. The lead tone is just right. It couldn't be really brighter without re-balancing the rest and would thematically get out of the hazy/mist/spirits context.

Coming from a attention-grabbing pop context, it's assured that there are not enough triggers in there to keep one's attention when in need of being grabbed.

Thanks for listening and for the comments !

Cheers.

Frantz
KVRAF
5139 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:53 pm

It starts off too slowly IMO. In fact, I suggest completely removing the first 46 seconds.

Fortunately, I hung in there and this track is a warm, gentle delight. Love that lead sound. The whole thing is comfortable and soothing like putting on a favorite sweater on chilly day. Quite original too.

Great job! :tu:

mevla
KVRAF

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 am

Thanks ! I agree with the first 46 seconds. It sounds more like a remnant of a sketch rather than an integrated part. It sits there as a quick mood setting while not being enough developed to be part of the piece. I'll remove it soon.

I've listened to your song "Days Without End" a couple of times and it's great in all aspects I find.

Cheers.

Frantz
KVRAF
5139 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:44 pm

mevla wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 am
I've listened to your song "Days Without End" a couple of times and it's great in all aspects I find.
Thanks. :)

jethrobull
KVRAF
1687 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Enjoyed the ride. Nice up beat track to start my day. Same as Frantz,I hung in and glad I did,builds up well with some lovely sounds.
Good job! :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

vurt
addled muppet weed
48642 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:35 am

i liked it 8)
quirky and very summery.

mevla
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks ! Much appreciated.

Cheers.

fastlanephil
KVRian
802 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:15 pm

Yes, once it got going I thought it was an earthy, relaxing song. I think you have the right idea with a slowly building intro, but not in it’s present form. I think the ending suffers somewhat from the same thing. Maybe keep the groove going and add a splash of those ending sounds as it trails off.

mevla
KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks for the comment. The problem with the intro is that it 'falls down' at one point, before the main beat is picked up for the longer run. This falling down is not expected and can be a bit of a let down when listening to a single piece that is not part of a whole album/EP or at least a series of pieces by the same author. Your suggestion for the ending 'sounds' good. There's something a bit too long with the ending trailing away the 'spirits'. By the end, the 'spirit' thing should be fully grokked and as a short piece, it does not really have to trail off in the distance like that. If ever there's a 10-minute version, then it'd make more sense. :)

Cheers.

Return to “Music Cafe”