2.5.1 and 3 on one computer, doesn't seem possible

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had V2 and the V3 beta on my computer, Win 10, both worked fine together.

When i installed the new V3 it deleted my V2 folder and kept the V3 beta as well as the V3 retail in the same folder. I had to clean the computer and registery before reinstalling V3 so things worked ok again.

When i tried to reinstall 2.5.1 again, bitwig refused as V3 is already installed.

Is it just my machine that wont do it or has anyone else managed to have V2 and V3 on the same machine?
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

thats my experience too. i installed 2.5 8track to test new features. shouldnt have done that...instead of letting the user switch between LICENSES with the button top right they already implemented, u just get a stinky message taht u already have registered that license.
ergo: no switch from 2.5 8 track back to 2.4.3 studio. jsut the link to renew/upgrade ...
u cant even reinstall 2.4.3 with an newer version on your comp, which to say the least, stinks a lot. god knows what happens with your data when u try to uninstall it and then reinstall 2.4.3...

thats why i completely gave up on bitwig over a year ago.

Is Windows more complicated than OS X? I can have as many different versions installed as I want. And according to the web site you can download older versions easily. If its a licensing problem, the support for sure will help...
The app itself is the same for Demo/8-Track/Full. It checks the license with your login. That means if you run 2.4 you have a full license, if you run 3.0 you have an 8-track. (8-tracks never expire...)

I agree, they must not uninstall older versions if that is the case on Windows, unless it has technical reasons, which I doubt as it was possible before...

no usually its not. i use ableton since 2 years now and renoise and theres ZERO problems like that.

oh and thats not the only shit happening on their "funcom" qualitiy install/license routine.

i am just about a 2.5h session to just get my license running after i uninstalled bitwig to get rid of the initial problem.

i get THREE (3) error messages during that activation process, and i have not experienced that beforehand with version 1 or updating up to version 2.3.4...

first
login for activation gives error message about blablbub java IO can´t read full bytes blablub
second
i get an invalid message during offline activation process (which i tried, cos i can not use online activation..) after copypaste the registered serial number from my account.
third
although bitwig server gives me an error message for creating the activation file, IT GIVES ME THE HINT TO DOWNLAOD THE FILE (which ive done now a dozen times)
i download it run the button "activate offline", point bitwig from where to load the file and get the THIRD ERROR message that the file is invalid and i should use "the login process"

oh geez...thats the perfect circle of madness. having offline activation jsut in case online isnt available and after offline does not work giving users the message: then just use online login...(thats wanninger live and on tour...)

now im not even able to use my 2.3.4 license.

not that i am using bitwig since over a year now, but the funny thing is that i just wanted to verify the great amazing hint thomas helzle gave with just "rename" a folder as a workaround to have multiple install, in another thread.

oh and btw jsut in case someone wants to uninstall the old bitwig like i did...just make a backup of all of your data (like own presets n stuff)^^. the installer doesnt care nor ask about anything ^^

welp they fixed that pesky activation problem, whatever it caused it, 2 days after ticket. thats pretty damn fast imo. the renaming workaround is now working too, so a bws3 demo runs on the same comp than my 2.3 license on win7. :clap: :tu:

i am now lurking til they implement that capture function. ;D

Wow, it's hard to please you, hope devs will not give up :D

bolba wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:35 pm Wow, it's hard to please you, hope devs will not give up :D
i can not exactly deny that :D.
nothing annoys me more than install routine problems and flaws, especially when the program already was running before. but until now, in evry casei needed it, the bitwig support was flawless and bitwig itself is just now the awesome product i wanted since i bought 1.0 ^^. JUST that minor little detail ableton still got me hooked with^^.

Return to “Bitwig”