Splitting midi clips in Ableton, HOW?!?!?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I use capture quite a bit but a massive issue I find is when I find a section 1 bar in a 8 bar midi clip I can’t split it?!?!? In arrange I use cmd+e and that visibly splits the clip but upon going into clip view the midi notes still don’t start at the start of the clip but have the old positioning which is visible, when I consolidate after cmd+e all notes that start before the new midi clip disappear, how do I cut a section of midi so it cuts the notes as well???

Hi.

So before consolidating I'd drag the notestarts to the splitted area, thats what I've always done... otherwise they'll disappear as they start before the clip itself starts.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

What Legend says...

CMD+E does not split the midi notes into separate note (therefore creating a note event, that was not created by the user).

CMD+E as you’ve noted, only splits the clip at the point you selected.

As said above... You have to manually move the notes to the desired start point before splitting (CMD+E) and consolidating (CMD+J).

Even if you use Legend’s way, with just moving the loop start/end points (instead of splitting & consolidating), I would still clean up the clip by moving the notes to the place you want them to begin at.

I ended up buying a M4l device called multiclip or similar and that provides essentially a scissor tool which I have now found invaluable to workflow

Return to “Production Techniques”