Is there a cheap/free tape wear plugin available?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yea, I think the words are not translating correctly. My point is that the plugin is good at what it does but just not to my expectations. Oh well.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

BerryLaCroix wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:23 am Toneboosters ReelBus 4. Not free but cheap, and can do tape wear quite convincingly as well as high-quality tape sim.
:tu:

This 64 bit plugin that costs only $20 was mentioned in another topic already, but since it's one of the few plugins that feature 'dropouts' (stereo and mono*), I'd like to mention it here as well.

SketchCassette:

https://aberrantdsp.com/plugins/sketchcassette/

Hmmm... reminds me a bit of this one: https://klevgrand.se/products/dawcassette
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

I can't deny the similarity, but SketchCassette perhaps sounds a bit different. And I like the fact there's the separate dropouts feature.

DAW Cassette is $23.99 at the moment btw.

That Aberrabtdsp website expires next May. I'm not sure how confident I am about a company that was just registered and expires in less than a year. That's just me. Personally, I would go with DAWCassette for $4 more and call it a day. They have other products and look like they're going to be around for more than a year. Besides, for the price, you get good results. If you can get it on sale, I would highly suggest to get RC-20...that's probably the best all-purpose tape wear and LoFi plugin.

Aberrant DSP here, rest assured that our website is set to auto-renew in a year, we don't plan on going anywhere!

aberrantdsp wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 pm Aberrant DSP here, rest assured that our website is set to auto-renew in a year, we don't plan on going anywhere!
^Good Move :phones:

Are u planning to offer a Demo - Version, as most of us already have a bunch of decent Tape #plugs...this would make good sense. Anyway subscribed to ur mailinglist; so lets see whats next. :D
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:22 pm
aberrantdsp wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 pm Aberrant DSP here, rest assured that our website is set to auto-renew in a year, we don't plan on going anywhere!
^Good Move :phones:

Are u planning to offer a Demo - Version, as most of us already have a bunch of decent Tape #plugs...this would make good sense. Anyway subscribed to ur mailinglist; so lets see whats next. :D
We do have a demo version planned! It might be a little bit of time but we agree that a demo would be a great thing to offer.

:tu:

No vst2? I haven't yet committed to the extra click in Ableton that seperates vst2 and vst3. I like keeping the folder so lean I've not got any vst3 plugins yet haha.

This looks nice and the demo video good.

I love what this does in the demo video! Am about to buy it... Great work!
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:58 am
Any latency and if how much?
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

t3toooo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:28 am
JerGoertz wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:58 am
Any latency and if how much?
Haven't gotten it yet, anybody else know?
A well-behaved signature.

Hey there! Is there any chance you can give us some details about what the dropouts feature in SketchCassette is doing? For example is it purely volume fluctuations or does it also generate tonal variation?

Return to “Effects”