Distortion as a built in effect: Why so much aliasing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Distortion... the final frontier...

:o

Why does it usually suck? Massive X has a particularly good one if you put it in HQ mode, but it's pretty tame. Hardware synths with built in types of overdrive often sound great, yet plugins like RePro or Dune 3 alias like a stuck pig and it's very noticeable towards the top of the range of a 61 key controller. What gives? Is it too CPU intensive to give the type of oversampling that is needed?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:24 pm Hardware synths with built in types of overdrive often sound great
Which ones are you talking about specifically?

I think saturation and distortion is one of the hardest things to get right in software.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maybe because distortion can add harmonics above the Nyquist frequency that might not be present in the undistorted sound? Or that minor aliasing is amplified because of the additional harmonics?

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:30 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:24 pm Hardware synths with built in types of overdrive often sound great
Which ones are you talking about specifically?

I think saturation and distortion is one of the hardest things to get right in software.
Let’s see...

Prophet 6, 12
Pro 2
ATC-X
Peak

Those all have really good and useful distortion. The Peak’s is even polyphonic (filter distortion)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:30 pm Maybe because distortion can add harmonics above the Nyquist frequency that might not be present in the undistorted sound? Or that minor aliasing is amplified because of the additional harmonics?
True, and made more prominent with the natural compression that happens during the overdrive process.
Zerocrossing Media

I imagine that's what it is - bringing out the aliasing that is already present but hard to hear.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I have patched in an Elecktron Analog Drive pedal for distortion duties on synths and guitars. I do find that Amplitube 4 on high quality settings is pretty good to my ears but that Elektron Analog drive is making me smile. Other pedals would do it I am sure .. this one just has more options than some... analog but with midi recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdJkzmxLIg8

Scotty wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:43 am I have patched in an Elecktron Analog Drive pedal for distortion duties on synths and guitars. I do find that Amplitube 4 on high quality settings is pretty good to my ears but that Elektron Analog drive is making me smile. Other pedals would do it I am sure .. this one just has more options than some... analog but with midi recall.

I’ve got an Analog Four for the same duties, though for guitar I use a Kemper Amp Profiler and a Blackstar HT-5 Dual tube overdrive.
Zerocrossing Media

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 am I imagine that's what it is - bringing out the aliasing that is already present but hard to hear.
Then why not band limit the hell out of it, which sounds better for distortion anyway?
Zerocrossing Media

Kemper is on the list for reamping duties - expensive and a few things are ahead of it on the list... also looking at the Analog Heat by Elektron but it is pricey. If you have any shots of your studio posted... I'd love to them. - Scotty
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:05 am
Scotty wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:43 am I have patched in an Elecktron Analog Drive pedal for distortion duties on synths and guitars. I do find that Amplitube 4 on high quality settings is pretty good to my ears but that Elektron Analog drive is making me smile. Other pedals would do it I am sure .. this one just has more options than some... analog but with midi recall.

I’ve got an Analog Four for the same duties, though for guitar I use a Kemper Amp Profiler and a Blackstar HT-5 Dual tube overdrive.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:07 amThen why not band limit the hell out of it, which sounds better for distortion anyway?
Don't ask me, I never use notes high enough to notice.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:24 pmIs it too CPU intensive to give the type of oversampling that is needed?
Yes. Bandlimiting only won't make it sound better without oversampling, because you can't make a brickwall bandlimiting filter without messing with phase, or if you go with linear phase you introduce latency and pre-ringing, which you don't want in a synth. And doing massive OS per voice to make that happen, yes, that's CPU-expensive.

MX is running its whole synth engine at 88.2k internally, then resamples to your project SR. So if you're at the common 44.1/48k, it's effectively 2x oversampled.

Just use distortion on mixer channel, dont use built in and whenever you have to use lots of saturation or distortion, run project at higher sample rate, 88.2 or more...

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:28 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:24 pmIs it too CPU intensive to give the type of oversampling that is needed?
Yes. Bandlimiting only won't make it sound better without oversampling, because you can't make a brickwall bandlimiting filter without messing with phase, or if you go with linear phase you introduce latency and pre-ringing, which you don't want in a synth. And doing massive OS per voice to make that happen, yes, that's CPU-expensive.

MX is running its whole synth engine at 88.2k internally, then resamples to your project SR. So if you're at the common 44.1/48k, it's effectively 2x oversampled.
Yep, also I think the bandlimiting filter itself probably needs to be oversampled. How else can you filter out frequencies that are above half the operating sample rate of the filter itself?

Everything the OP listed has analog distortion/saturating VCA unless I'm mistaken. Distortion is probably the most difficult thing to do in digital, you need to oversample the hell out of it. Have a look at Cytomic Scream. And run high sample rates. Or just use your analogs and humblebrag about them?

Return to “Instruments”