BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

Hello
Any chance to look at issue I reported a few posts ago?
Dependency on loop while syncing to beat drives me crazy :(

maxym.srpl wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 pm Hello
Any chance to look at issue I reported a few posts ago?
Dependency on loop while syncing to beat drives me crazy :(
Since Graywolf is not free lately, I'll try to assist...
Checked your video, usually jumping through time line won't affect the playback speed of BlueARP (if the DAW is playing back).
But in your scenario, it could be one of two possible things:

1. Try to disable multi-thread processing in your DAW. And check if that will do anything
2. Try to alternate the BPM of the DAW while in playback. As I suspect it's Reaper fault.

PeteInNeedOfABeat wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:30 am
1. ..... Maybe an option to set a "custom scale" would be the perfect solution here.

2. A "random"-step-type in semitone-window that selects a different note each runthrough. Maybe this would be better as an option in the "Auto Filter-Section": "Rand Key Select" in percentage?

Sunny greetings from Germany,

Pete
Appreciate your input mate :) thanks
Indeed those two features are very helpful to improve BlueARP.

Probably the "custom scale" is already in the to-do list.

As for the 2nd suggestion, I'm afraid that Graywolf isn't having enough free time to implement an approach to this, since the top priority now goes to the hardware BlueARP enhancement.

phreaque wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:07 pm 1. Try to disable multi-thread processing in your DAW. And check if that will do anything
I'll try to find such option
phreaque wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:07 pm 2. Try to alternate the BPM of the DAW while in playback. As I suspect it's Reaper fault.
How much BPM needs to be changed and what should I expect?

And question on additional issue. Why BlueArp when in sync to beat mode, syncs to loop beginning not to project beginning? In other words, it takes loop beginning as beat reference. Is it intentional? Could be disabled?

Thank you for response.
with regards

Hi, guys. Few weeks ago I discovered exactly the same behaviour like in maxym.srplvideo. But with one difference - I was at 138 BPM and the dots were much faster and jumping randomly across the pattern width.

My specs: i7-860, Win7 x64, Reaper x64

the effect on my side is also crazy fast. I just slowed down a playback in Reaper (see red knob next to bpm settings) for demonstration purposes.

maxym.srpl wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:39 pm
How much BPM needs to be changed and what should I expect?
As low as possible, to find out if the speed up faulty notes coming from BlueARP are result of multiplying DAW BPM or just merely random glitch.
And question on additional issue. Why BlueArp when in sync to beat mode, syncs to loop beginning not to project beginning? In other words, it takes loop beginning as beat reference. Is it intentional? Could be disabled?
That's intended actually, for the reason of maintaining arp/phrase timing aligned to the DAW sequencer pattern(s), any song/project mainly is a cluster of several 16 or 32 steps phrases.
In an example, we surely need the bassline arpeggiation to be aligned in time and in position to the DAW phrase cluster.

So it will reset to start on beat.

You can however change the [Restart On] from "beat" to "1st Key"
But that would make the phrase position alignment completely off, as the arp will be triggered whenever you press a key regardless of the beat/bar position.

- In case you're looking into long varied arp phrases coming in a sequence as the project play along, you can take advantage of [Program Chains] section, where you can put several presets and be able to automate recalling certain preset when needed; by automation curve in the DAW, using a midi control, etc. This can make achieving sequenced variation to the playback. As if you're playing one of those Yamaha arranger keyboards.

Let us know the outcome and hopefully we can solve this issue.
Have a nice time :)

boriskarloff wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:23 am Hi, guys. Few weeks ago I discovered exactly the same behaviour like in maxym.srplvideo. But with one difference - I was at 138 BPM and the dots were much faster and jumping randomly across the pattern width.

My specs: i7-860, Win7 x64, Reaper x64
Hmmm, interesting indeed!
BTW, what's the audio interface you're using?

It's ancient Audiophile 2496. But it's absolutely stable.

Let's check maxym.srpl setup as well, since both of you having the same DAW and same problem.
maxym.srpl your cpu, OS and audio interface please:

--
I guess this is happening due to mishandling clock dividers, and it's either the dated cpu vs. DAW or OS + audio interface vs. BlueARP.

Can any of you please check the BlueARP behavior using another DAW? Another computer?

I'm on Win 10 64bit
MSI Tomahawk, i5 6700K (skylike), Realtek HD through ASIO4ALL.
I don't think it's related to audio interface, because there are scenarios which makes it working properly.
Also what is is interesting, this issue is dependent on loop existence.

Regarding dependence of 'sync to beat' on a loop: I don't use project loops at all as song parts. I don't even know if it's possible to setup more loops than one. But I often (almost always recently) use sync to beat - it better fit my workflow. I would like to make BluArp dependent on project beat, being loop independent.
I'm using loops occasionally to temporarily focus on some details of composition (ie during mix). But then I need to take care about proper placing the loop to not shift sequence. It's disturbing/annoying.
BTW to precise it even more: blueArp syncs beat to a loop even if phrase being played is NOT part of the loop
Last edited by maxym.srpl on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxym.srpl wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 pm I'm on Win 10 64bit
MSI Tomahawk, i5 6700K (skylike), Realtek HD through ASIO4ALL.
I don't think it's related to audio interface, because there are scenarios which makes it working properly.
Also what is is interesting, this issue is dependent on loop existence.
Indeed, then it's not a hardware issue at all... Apparently it's Reaper vs. BlueARP, I'm sure Graywolf can provide the solution for this issue.
Regarding dependence of 'sync to beat' on a loop: I don't use project loops at all as song parts. But I often (almost always recently) use sync to beat. I would like to make BluArp dependent on project beat, being loop independent.
Guess reaper segmentation is varied from other DAWs, else, what you need can be done using other DAW.
I'm using loops occasionally to temporarily focus on some details of composition (ie during mix). But then I need to take care about proper placing the loop to not shift sequence. It's disturbing/annoying.
You're right :( , and it's indeed Reaper owns way to handle sequence loop alignment. And since switching to another DAW is obviously out of question, have you considered trying out Playtime ? I think it handles loops "clips" of different lengths uniquely. So it can solve your issue :ud:

If it's indeed Reaper issue, I could report it or file a feature request. To do so I probably need more details to pass to developers. Could you provide description what would I ask for?

Thank you for your help and Playtime suggestion. I'll check it.
with regards

maxym.srpl wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:19 pm If it's indeed Reaper issue, I could report it or file a feature request. To do so I probably need more details to pass to developers. Could you provide description what would I ask for?

Thank you for your help
with regards
Good idea...
Usually a log file is generated inside every DAW, stating general statistics (tracks, plugins, channels, number of notes, midi routing etc.) if you can arrange to grab this file, then it's great.
Plus, providing a video with the issue, will help recreate & trouble shoot the issue.

Best of luck & hope it will be sorted out smoothly :)
Have a nice time mate.

Hi, just to update this topic (BlueARP & Maschine)

Tried to using Maschine now after the latest update, and indeed, there's apparently no internal MIDI routing between devices/plugins
Seems NI still not supporting this due to their other important things they are looking to implement. Like allowing their hardware arpeggiator to take control.
DigiPRO wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:17 am
phreaque wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:01 am
DigiPRO wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:57 am Hi there,

Wondering If I've missed something, but I just can't get BlueARP to work with Maschine 2 software. I've tried a lot of things, but it seems not be sending out any midi data.

Any idea?

Cheers.
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... nstruments

Check the link above, consider BlueARP as an external midi device at some point that is virtually talking to internal midi inputs.
BlueArp VST doesn't seem to transmit midi out all with Maschine software environment. Wondering if that is a Maschine software limitation as BlueArp works well in Cubase etc.

Maybe the developer has some workaround to share?

Cheers.

Return to “Instruments”