Yamaha CS-80 vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Local Man wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 am
layzer wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:22 pm
atmosone wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:53 pm Side note; Diva's opening preset sounds a lot like the CS80 used in Phoenix's Long Distance Call.
what, that short low wub sound? pshhh just about any VA can do that. nothing special going on there.
I respectfully disagree. I think that patch has a pretty special sound to it that very few other VAs that I've used come close to. It represents what I think Diva excels at, which is playability. Sure if you program some chords at the same velocity, that patch will not sound like anything special. But if you play it with a keyboard, the way it responds to the dynamics of your playing is really special.

Sorry, way off topic.
That's why I always love the U-He synths. You can tell it's made by a player for players. The old analogs, CS-80 included, were all like that. You know they actually all sound better if you play them while wearing a cape too. I'm not sure why, but it's true.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

And, sadly, a lot of so-called sound designers don't seem to be players at all. When you go through DUNE 2's presets, for example, very few respond well to velocity, let alone mod wheel or anything else. Those things seem like an afterthought to a lot of them.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Many analogs didn't have velocity. CS-80 is the exception with polyphonic aftertouch, ribbon control and velocity
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:23 am That's why I always love the U-He synths. You can tell it's made by a player for players. The old analogs, CS-80 included, were all like that.
Wrong... Most of the old analogs were NOT like that. Some of them didn't even respond to velocity (the older ones), and almost none did respond to aftertouch.

CS80 is an exception because it is exceptionally responsive. That's why Vangelis liked it so much. But you will not get that from an emulation unless you have a really good MIDI controller to play with.
Last edited by fmr on Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Do you have to wear a wizard's robe rather than a cape ?

himalaya wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 am Keith makes the Yammy sound like any big poly synth, whereas Vangelis was able to get totally unique timbres out of the CS80
...except that in 1976 when Keith was playing that Yammy, there WERE no other "big poly synths" capable of those sounds. So saying that Emerson was using "same old" sounds is kinda like saying that Shakespeare's plays are full of cliches.

fmr wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:49 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:23 am That's why I always love the U-He synths. You can tell it's made by a player for players. The old analogs, CS-80 included, were all like that.
Wrong... Most of the old analogs were NOT like that. Some of them didn't even respond to velocity (the older ones), and almost none did respond to aftertouch.

CS80 is an exception because it is exceptionally responsive. That's why Vangelis liked it so much. But you will not get that from an emulation unless you have a really good MIDI controller to play with.
I was including players who provide expression by tweaking knobs during a performance. I'm not that guy either, but there are a lot of them around.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

mcbpete wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 am Do you have to wear a wizard's robe rather than a cape ?
Dude, get with the times. It's all about light-up helmets these days!
Zerocrossing Media

Yes. Light up helmets for the guys, and light up dresses for the ladies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vBKI3y ... be&t=2m30s

However, there's nothing that says someone can't have a light-up wizard's robe to go with their light-up helmet. :hihi:
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

J4R1O wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:34 pm Hi,

I'd like to buy a good CS-80 vst instrument, but not sure which one... Arturia CS-80 V or Memorymoon ME80?

Is Arturia (MSRP 149 € - a little bit too much for me...) any better than Memorymoon? I've read that it has some bugs, is that true? How often Arturia is havin' sales?
Any newer modern VA will give you probably more accurate sound to CS80 then those so called emulations.

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:02 am And, sadly, a lot of so-called sound designers don't seem to be players at all. When you go through DUNE 2's presets, for example, very few respond well to velocity, let alone mod wheel or anything else. Those things seem like an afterthought to a lot of them.
They arent so called sound designers. They are sound designers. Its just they dont focus on players, because there arent many of them in comparison with producers.

Im happy when i see there is no mod asigned to velocity after touch and other stuff. Modwheel is enough. Because if i play a sound on midi keyboard i dont want it sound different when i do editing in piano roll just because of few % different velocity :-)

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:20 amAny newer modern VA will give you probably more accurate sound to CS80 then those so called emulations.
Memorymoon is pretty darn close, far from "so-called".

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:33 amThey arent so called sound designers. They are sound designers. Its just they dont focus on players, because there arent many of them in comparison with producers.
A producer who can't play is going to produce shit and "sound designer" is a made up job and people should laugh out loud when they see/hear it. It would be like calling yourself a "tyre changer", as though changing a tyre required any particular skill. "Synth programmer" might be more accurate. At least it makes the task sound as boring as it is.
Im happy when i see there is no mod asigned to velocity after touch and other stuff. Modwheel is enough. Because if i play a sound on midi keyboard i dont want it sound different when i do editing in piano roll just because of few % different velocity :-)
Yeah, expression is way over-rated, much better if every note sounds exactly the same as every other note. BTW, you know you can play notes into your piano roll, right? You don't have to enter them with a mouse. Even if yo duo, surely the very next thing you do is go and change the velocities around to make it less boring? There is no easier way to introduce a bit of interest into a part.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

A producer who can't play is going to produce shit and "sound designer" is a made up job and people should laugh out loud when they see/hear it.
Really? i know plenty who cant play and make great music. Alot of well known names today cant play music, but produce great tracks with their laptops.
Even if yo duo, surely the very next thing you do is go and change the velocities around to make it less boring? There is no easier way to introduce a bit of interest into a part.
You can find other ways to make music more interesting then playing with velocities, the only limitation is your own imagination.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:41 am
Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:20 amAny newer modern VA will give you probably more accurate sound to CS80 then those so called emulations.
Memorymoon is pretty darn close, far from "so-called".
Ok maybe im a bit exhagerating from so called, but given how old it is i do believe by the end result something like Diva would be more convincing :)

Return to “Instruments”