Sonalksis plugins in 2019 :)

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
MFXxx
KVRAF
3036 posts since 27 Mar, 2010 from UK

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:53 am

Got some on the market place. Sienda still support and certainly relevant still.
Image7820x 4.6ghz • 32GB Ram • RME FF800 • Adams A7X • Maschine • Analog Keys • Virus TI • JD800 • JV1080 • x0xb0x

soulone82
KVRian
927 posts since 16 Aug, 2010 from almost everywhere...

Re: Sonalksis plugins in 2019 :)

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:02 am

xalama qo wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:50 am
They use State-Space modeling technology

perfumer
KVRist
443 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:04 am

The Mastering Suite is not good, the oher ones are good.

DMG cheaper plugins are better and roughly at same prices. Voxengo is better but doesn't have a gate. Both companies are active and regularly updating.

Krzysztof Oktalski
KVRist
264 posts since 1 Sep, 2006

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:46 am

The DSP in some Sonalksis products is entirely the work of Dave, he hasn't received a penny from them since leaving (contrary to the agreement under which the products were licensed). AFAIK the same is true for the GUI designer.

As such they have no legal entitlement to sell these products - Sonalksis sell warez.

Cooker
KVRian
791 posts since 29 Jul, 2008

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:58 am

xalama qo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:47 am
I can't argue with sound, we all have our preferences.

Problem is reliability, considering once bought you'll be using them for the next 3-5 years a huge list of system or DAW updates are waiting for you. Also maybe hardware updates, like with better resolution/bigger monitor them not being scale able might bring up usage faults as well as system.

Also about cpu, newer stuff may be even more lighter than them. Voxengo for example recently updated most of their products with AVX-2 support bringing some of their plug-ins near %40 less cpu load...

So the question here is how future proof you trust they are. With 100 dolars each, you have the potential of buying anything you want so I just want to suggest thinking about this carefully.

xalama qo
KVRian
1171 posts since 7 Jun, 2007

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:01 am

@soulone82... :roll: indeed...I was just wondering if they were involved with Presonus plugin development due to similar terminology.
As far as contractual agreements not being honoured and the plugins amounting to warez...no comment from me. Surely there are legal avenues to pursue if this is the case?
If that is true though it is very unfortunate for those involved. This kind of thing seems to happen every now and then in plugin dev-land, but I suppose it happens in any industry too. Not condoning the behaviour, but it's an unfortunate fact of life.
How many of us here have missed out on sizeable royalty pay-checks owed to us because of a dodgy client? I know I have. Live and learn and lawyer up.

xalama qo
KVRian

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:12 am

Cooker wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:58 am
xalama qo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:47 am
I can't argue with sound, we all have our preferences.

Problem is reliability, considering once bought you'll be using them for the next 3-5 years a huge list of system or DAW updates are waiting for you. Also maybe hardware updates, like with better resolution/bigger monitor them not being scale able might bring up usage faults as well as system.

Also about cpu, newer stuff may be even more lighter than them. Voxengo for example recently updated most of their products with AVX-2 support bringing some of their plug-ins near %40 less cpu load...

So the question here is how future proof you trust they are. With 100 dolars each, you have the potential of buying anything you want so I just want to suggest thinking about this carefully.
All good points. Thanks for that. The GUIs are a bit on the small side, and that has its pros and cons. I tend to run old hardware until it dies, I never throw "old DAW" workstations away, they just become another instrument in my workflow whenever I actually do upgrade, so I'd still get a lot of use out of these, depending on how many machines I can register them on etc.
I also kinda like that they are what they are. No feature updates, no new development expected. If there were any show-stopper bugs I'm sure one of the regular users here would have mentioned it.

But yes, i'd be silly to just go ahead and buy them without demoing other candidates too. DMG I'll look at. Voxengo has never really appealed to me after I owned and sold Voxformer many years ago.
Toneboosters is another company to consider, I like their stuff, but have never owned any before.

Krzysztof Oktalski
KVRist
264 posts since 1 Sep, 2006

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:32 am

xalama qo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:01 am
Live and learn and lawyer up.
We considered this, but we're not keen on the implications it could have on end users. Plus, as Sonalksis have pointed out, they have no money; we'd bankrupt them, so what would the point be? That wouldn't work for us, them or users; we thought it better to keep creating better product instead.

xalama qo
KVRian

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:04 am

Fair enough, sounds like you took the high road. But I don't really see the point then about calling them out for "warez" if that's something you've decided to live with.

samsam
KVRAF
2592 posts since 9 Dec, 2008

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:11 am

Company that bought them seems a bit bare bones from the website.

xalama qo
KVRian

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 am

Changing the topic ever so slightly... I just checked out the video for McDSPs 6060 Ultimate Module Collection. I'm no Pro Tools guy and it's good to see McDSP in native formats these days. Anyone have any opinions or experience they want to share about McDSP in 2019? Are they a legitimate contender in the Slate/IKM dominated world of analog modeled processors?

justin3am
KVRAF
10786 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:30 am

Krzysztof Oktalski wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:46 am
The DSP in some Sonalksis products is entirely the work of Dave, he hasn't received a penny from them since leaving (contrary to the agreement under which the products were licensed). AFAIK the same is true for the GUI designer.

As such they have no legal entitlement to sell these products - Sonalksis sell warez.
That's a shame. I love the DMG products I use and I'm pretty sure I got my Sonalksis licenses when Dave was still part of that company, (had to be around 2008-9). I have been appreciative that the licensing server has remained active as some of those plug-ins are still useful to me but I certainly recommend DMG products more frequently than Sonalksis.

I wish nothing but success for Dave, since he was responsible for a lot of my favorite signal processors.

DarkStar
KVRAF
9127 posts since 2 Sep, 2003 from Surrey, UK

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:48 am

Is that strictly true? They may or may not have kept to the agreement but I would think that they are still entitled to sell their products. A possible breach of the agreement is a separate issue and can only be settled legally.
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6557 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:50 am

I wouldn't personally buy Sonalksis products today, just because the company is clearly is no longer active (lots of active companies with bright, long futures to buy from), but that right there is why no one should be supporting Sonalksis right now. In case anyone reading this doesn't already know, Krzysztof works with Dave at DMG and would be in a position to know these types of things.

Maybe Dave should repay the favor and do updated models of the old Sonalksis products. "We modeled the classic SV-315 compressor plugin...then made it better!" Want to really piss them off? Make it free. :lol:

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6557 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:56 am

DarkStar wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:48 am

Is that strictly true? They may or may not have kept to the agreement but I would think that they are still entitled to sell their products. A possible breach of the agreement is a separate issue and can only be settled legally.
I'm pretty sure the "Sonalksis sell warez" statement was clearly a statement of opinion, albeit a strong opinion. It sounds like there was an agreement about what and how those plugins were to be distributed and revenue shared, that agreement is not being honored [these things could be litigated], and from the perspective of the person getting the short end of the stick, it probably doesn't feel much different than someone illegally selling your software [where the opinion begins]. As far as I know, there's no legal definition for "warez," so I'd say that last sentence is safely Krzysztof expressing his opinion/perspective on the matter.

You may think, "well, I disagree it's warez because they still own the plugins, but they should still pay Dave..." and that'd be ok too..

Return to “Effects”