Yamaha CS-80 vst

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
EvilDragon
KVRAF
18493 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Memorymoon had updates in recent times - improved GUI and featureset, tweaks to the sound engine... Just because it is an old project doesn't mean the results aren't very good.

Reefius
KVRian
716 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Belgium

Re: Yamaha CS-80 vst

Post Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Elektronisch wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:46 pm
EvilDragon wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 pm
Elektronisch wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:20 pm
Any newer modern VA will give you probably more accurate sound to CS80 then those so called emulations.
Memorymoon is pretty darn close, far from "so-called".
Ok maybe im a bit exhagerating from so called, but given how old it is i do believe by the end result something like Diva would be more convincing :)
Diva is from 2011 and Memorymoon from 2009 :roll:

anomandaris1
KVRist
303 posts since 26 Nov, 2009

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:29 am

I don't know how accurate are these emulations (weren't all old analogue synths supposed to sound unique), but I doubt people can distinguish between them and original synths in the final musical production.
Btw, check Arturia presets by Musicrow, many unusual "analogue" sounds, definitely more interesting than most of the factory Arturia content.
OP-X also had some really clever programmed analogue presets.
Memorymoon and Diva are also excellent.

himalaya
KVRAF
5069 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:44 am

anotherscott wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:54 pm
himalaya wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:45 am
Keith makes the Yammy sound like any big poly synth, whereas Vangelis was able to get totally unique timbres out of the CS80
...except that in 1976 when Keith was playing that Yammy, there WERE no other "big poly synths" capable of those sounds. So saying that Emerson was using "same old" sounds is kinda like saying that Shakespeare's plays are full of cliches.
Well, I give you that, Keith didn't just make some boring sounds after all, he did find that Ring-Mod and pushed its rate so it sounded like a gurgling LFO. :D

Keith was writing a kindergarten rhyme, whereas Vangelis was writing a prequel to 'Jason Bourne vs Godzilla'. Does it illustrate my sentiment better? :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8535 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 am

Elektronisch wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:43 pm
A producer who can't play is going to produce shit and "sound designer" is a made up job and people should laugh out loud when they see/hear it.
Really? i know plenty who cant play and make great music. Alot of well known names today cant play music, but produce great tracks with their laptops.
Name one.
You can find other ways to make music more interesting then playing with velocities, the only limitation is your own imagination.
That would explain why I said "no easier way", not "no other way". So well done for responding to something that wasn't even implied by my comment, in which we are in total agreement.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Behringer QX1002USB, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft Synth 2.0

voidhead23
KVRist
173 posts since 5 Jan, 2018 from Beijing, PRC

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:57 am

BONES wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 am
Elektronisch wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:43 pm
A producer who can't play is going to produce shit and "sound designer" is a made up job and people should laugh out loud when they see/hear it.
Really? i know plenty who cant play and make great music. Alot of well known names today cant play music, but produce great tracks with their laptops.
Name one.
Burial and Lustmord come to mind. Obviously, any 'they suck' retort can invalidate those candidates from your perspective, but i find their music greatly rewarding and i'm pretty sure neither can play an instrument (unless you count a computer as an instrument...which i do).

Stefken
KVRian
1471 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 am

Deadmau5 cannot play the keyboard and comes up with pretty idiosyncratic chords in the process of entering them with the mouse in piano roll.

This process of entering them in piano roll gives rise to these idiosyncratic chords. If he would play them live, they would probably be more typical chords. Cthulu was also made for that purpose as -dixit Steve- when you play live you tend to use the same principles and chords all the time over and over again (habit, muscle memory etc...).
Last edited by Stefken on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kwurqx
KVRist
430 posts since 15 Jun, 2017

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:31 am

From the free domain.

Krakli - Arminator 2
http://www.krakliplugins.com/Plugins.aspx

Not a Yamaha CS80. But a similar architecture. Created as a tribute to sound designer Armin Kujashi, who also made the excellent presets. At least check out the presets.

As Ian Webster (Krakli) says:
We say that Arminator2 is designed as a homage to the Yamaha CS80, it can not be considered to be a faithful emulation of that fantastic instrument but rather it’s aim is to offer patches that hint at the original instruments power.
Others say that Arminator is a stunning homage to the Yamaha CS-80. It’s one of the best emulations you’ll find and it’s completely free.

Version 2 includes the following enhancements:
The scaling of various controls has been improved, the LFO can now be synced to a KeyPress. KeySplit can be anywhere on a key across the 10 octave range. KeyTracking is now available on the LowPass and HighPass Filters. The Sine oscillator in the Line Amp can now also be a -1 or -2 octave sub. Mono Poly on individual lines and a Chorus effect has been added. Lastly line 2’s envelopes can be delayed by up to 500ms from KeyPress.

But none of that is particularly important unless you’re an existing owner. For anyone else all you need to know is that this is a fabulous CS-80 emulation with some great presets, for free, wrapped up in a rather cramped, small but functional GUI. The only slight weirdness is that it’s a 32bit plug-in for Windows only. But provided your DAW supports 32bit plug-ins or you use some bridging software then it should be fine.
A demo of some of the sounds (not Arminator 2 but 1 which is patch compatible though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvLHm0HFwyk

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3298 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:02 am

BONES wrote:Name one.
Ill name 2:

Deadmau5, Skrillex. And those are of the top famous line. Now we dont want to start how many much less famous successful producers, especialy new ones that are teens, cant play keyboard.

One thing is for sure, if this is your track Novakill, then your keyboard playing skills sure dont help you with your producing skills, especially bringing out the vocal more in front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGILSPIzn7k

Lotuzia
KVRAF
10081 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 am

Everybody knows -or could be aware of to be more precise- at least since the tb-303 days revival in the early 90's, that you can make -possibly good- music by making a bass line in a simple sequencer and tweaking a few knobs, and never play a single phrase on a keyboard. Then back in the 50s, you could also cut and paste some magnetic tapes and make music this way. Nothing new there. And nothing worth mentioning a few candidates in this camp, or zillions of as valid candidates in the other camp (those who can play) :shrug:

Some battles just ain't worth it anymore.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8535 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:09 pm

voidhead23 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:57 am
Burial and Lustmord come to mind. Obviously, any 'they suck' retort can invalidate those candidates from your perspective, but i find their music greatly rewarding and i'm pretty sure neither can play an instrument (unless you count a computer as an instrument...which i do).
Of course Lustmord can play, he's been at it far longer than we've had computers to do it for us. In fact, I've seen photos of him playing guitar, so he at least know how to play something. Remember, in the context of this conversation, I am the standard and I can't play for shit but I can still get a lot out of my Seaboard.
Stefken wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 am
Deadmau5 cannot play the keyboard and comes up with pretty idiosyncratic chords in the process of entering them with the mouse in piano roll.
Really? According to his bio on Wikipedia, he got his first "keyboard" as a teenager. Seems unlikely he never bothered to play it, doesn't it?
This process of entering them in piano roll gives rise to these idiosyncratic chords.
Yes, I do know how a piano roll works. In fact, I never play anything into my computer, I always enter notes in via the mouse. As in, I have never in my life even attempted to record my playing into my sequencer. It's something I rarely did in my hardware days and completely stopped doing when I moved to software.
when you play live you tend to use the same principles and chords all the time over and over again (habit, muscle memory etc...).
No more so than working in a piano roll, in my experience. C is C, A# is A#, they exist in pretty much the same places wherever you look and the intervals between notes sound equally pleasing whether you enter them in a piano roll or play them on a keyboard. What you're talking about applies more to a knowledge of music theory than it does to playing a keyboard. I have only the most rudimentary understanding of chords so I find notes that work together by trial and error. You can do that in a piano roll but it's generally much quicker on a keyboard.
Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:02 am
Deadmau5, Skrillex.
Skrillex can play, he was in a band for several years before he started doing Skrillex. See above for Deadmau5 (he can also play).
One thing is for sure, if this is your track Novakill, then your keyboard playing skills sure dont help you with your producing skills, especially bringing out the vocal more in front.
It ain't pop music, the vocal is exactly where I wanted it in the mix. You don't spend 7 years making an album and get that stuff wrong. And, for the record, I don't have any keyboard playing skills. I don't need them any more, I have a computer to do all the hard stuff. Again, that doesn't mean I can't get a lot out of velocity, aftertouch and the rest of it. One of my favourite techniques for getting interesting basslines out of my KORG Trinity was to record in step mode so I could concentrate on getting the variation in velocity I wanted to randomise the sound. It's probably something a good player would struggle with live because they'd be used to striking the keys at the same velocity all the time as they concentrated on playing in time. As I never had a hope of playing in time, step mode was perfect.

You are all so close-minded about this stuff, as though nothing outside the tiny, little bubble of your experience can possibly be of any use to you. It's pathetic. Open your eyes, there are all manner of wonderful things out there that just might make your experience more enjoyable and/or actually better. But you almost seem to enjoy sticking yourself in a rut, it's crazy.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Behringer QX1002USB, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft Synth 2.0

JoeCat
KVRian
1290 posts since 19 May, 2011 from North Carolina

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:40 pm

Cross pollinating from the Xils thread and this post from Lotuzia, and beating my own dead horse from last year, something about the Xils synths capture the essence of CS-80 sound - and the fact that Jarre himself uses miniSyn'X counts for something I don't own the miniSyn'X but imma think that's my next purchase.

I do own the Arturia but haven't' had much time to mess with it. Still, while you can obviously more easily recreate patches with an emulation and work with the original's feature set, if it's a "vibe" you're going for, this and the polyKB seem to also fit the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAwpbtMHkjY

mgw38
KVRAF
1910 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:50 pm

BONES wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:09 pm
Stefken wrote:
Really? According to his bio on Wikipedia, he got his first "keyboard" as a teenager. Seems unlikely he never bothered to play it, doesn't it?
He actually said that himself in his Masterclass course. But I am honestly not sure how true that really is. I am fairly certain he knows how to play a keyboard good enough for the type of music he is producing.

Elektronisch
KVRAF

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:46 pm

mgw38 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:50 pm
BONES wrote:
Stefken wrote:
He actually said that himself in his Masterclass course. But I am honestly not sure how true that really is. I am fairly certain he knows how to play a keyboard good enough for the type of music he is producing.
Im sure he didnt knew how to play. Aquiring keyboard doesnt mean you suddenly know how to play.

Skrillex doesnt play keyboard, guitar.

I got a keyboard too but i had my first vinyl record deal before i got the keyboard. And it was even much later till i started to play some chords. And i can play basicly that and some easy melodies. I also have a guitar but i never played it, just have it lol.

Elektronisch
KVRAF

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:48 pm

BONES wrote:
voidhead23 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:57 am
Of course Lustmord can play, he's been at it far longer than we've had computers to do it for us. In fact, I've seen photos of him playing guitar, so he at least know how to play something. Remember, in the context of this conversation, I am the standard and I can't play for shit but I can still get a lot out of my Seaboard.
Stefken wrote:
This process of entering them in piano roll gives rise to these idiosyncratic chords.
Yes, I do know how a piano roll works. In fact, I never play anything into my computer, I always enter notes in via the mouse. As in, I have never in my life even attempted to record my playing into my sequencer. It's something I rarely did in my hardware days and completely stopped doing when I moved to software.
when you play live you tend to use the same principles and chords all the time over and over again (habit, muscle memory etc...).
No more so than working in a piano roll, in my experience. C is C, A# is A#, they exist in pretty much the same places wherever you look and the intervals between notes sound equally pleasing whether you enter them in a piano roll or play them on a keyboard. What you're talking about applies more to a knowledge of music theory than it does to playing a keyboard. I have only the most rudimentary understanding of chords so I find notes that work together by trial and error. You can do that in a piano roll but it's generally much quicker on a keyboard.
Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:02 am
Deadmau5, Skrillex.
Skrillex can play, he was in a band for several years before he started doing Skrillex. See above for Deadmau5 (he can also play).
It ain't pop music, the vocal is exactly where I wanted it in the mix. You don't spend 7 years making an album and get that stuff wrong. And, for the record, I don't have any keyboard playing skills. I don't need them any more, I have a computer to do all the hard stuff. Again, that doesn't mean I can't get a lot out of velocity, aftertouch and the rest of it. One of my favourite techniques for getting interesting basslines out of my KORG Trinity was to record in step mode so I could concentrate on getting the variation in velocity I wanted to randomise the sound. It's probably something a good player would struggle with live because they'd be used to striking the keys at the same velocity all the time as they concentrated on playing in time. As I never had a hope of playing in time, step mode was perfect.

You are all so close-minded about this stuff, as though nothing outside the tiny, little bubble of your experience can possibly be of any use to you. It's pathetic. Open your eyes, there are all manner of wonderful things out there that just might make your experience more enjoyable and/or actually better. But you almost seem to enjoy sticking yourself in a rut, it's crazy.
Just gonna leave it here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”