Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cant say Ive ever noticed a problem here. Cubase 10 64 bit on Windows 10.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:08 pm Here's a video grab

https://vimeo.com/271490977

It doesn't help the issue that the mouse cursor disappears when you start to turn a knob. To give you an idea of how far I'm travelling to achieve the given data change, you will notice the Preset name bar within the Logic Plugin Frame lighting up and giving away the actual position :scared:

This is a mix of using the Wacom and trackpad.

I also started clicking around with buttons later in the video to show just how much system performance lag there isn't :shrug:
No problems here. The Logic Plugin Frame never lightning up. Mac Mini (Late 2012) and Logic 10.4.6 in use. I have a Logitech mouse.

acYm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:14 pm it's just poorly made, visually it looks laggy and clunky, you move the knob slow and steady and all of a sudden there's a 15° jump out of nowhere. lots of plugins nowadays have good, smooth knob movement, with waves you can very much tell the architecture is 20 years old.
"Slow and steady"? Aside from the jumps, do you actually have a slow, steady performance?

@el-bo: Do you have a MacBook Pro with 2 GPUs?

Scoox wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:45 pm I can't see how this would be graphics-related. It's just poorly implemented. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, I mean, all other plugins I use don't have this problem.
I only mention the issue of graphic-card conflicts because of certain answers in this thread (Been a while since I read it, though).

As to bad implementation: The fact that these have been industry-standard for so long makes me question that, despite still feeling that it might be.

yes. it's purely a visual annoyance.

turning the knobs from an automation controller doesn't look that bad, just not as smooth as others. then, trying with the mouse, yikes, I mean, this is exactly the type of acceleration nobody likes, surely?
yes, windows 7 had similar bullshit by default, first thing I did was to turn it off...

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:01 pm @el-bo: Do you have a MacBook Pro with 2 GPUs?
Yes!

Does the graphic anomaly appear no matter which GPU is at work?

acYm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 pm yes. it's purely a visual annoyance.

turning the knobs from an automation controller doesn't look that bad, just not as smooth as others. then, trying with the mouse, yikes, I mean, this is exactly the type of acceleration nobody likes, surely?
yes, windows 7 had similar bullshit by default, first thing I did was to turn it off...
What I meant was that I never got slow and steady. Even the tiniest adjustments were sporadic and jerky. And then when Intried to make broader moves to conpensate I just got the acceleration/jump issues :scared:

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 pm Does the graphic anomaly appear no matter which GPU is at work?
I don't know. Pretty sure the card switching is automatic.

Schweps Parallel Particles has TERRIBLE graphic response.

ahh, well I got a very good mouse, a steelseries rival500, and yeah I can slowly scan through all 0.01 increments, I'm guessing having low DPI on the mouse helps a lot.

ugh, I gotta close these plugins now, moving the knobs somewhat fast with the mouse has got to be the most unsightly thing in my studio. blergh!

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:08 pm
Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 pm Does the graphic anomaly appear no matter which GPU is at work?
I don't know. Pretty sure the card switching is automatic.
If your MacBook Pro is manufactured 2008 - 2012 then you can use the pref pane app gfxCardStatus to switch between the GPUs. Perhaps this way you find out if it's actually a GPU related problem.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 pm Schweps Parallel Particles has TERRIBLE graphic response.
Is it similar to the video I posted?

https://vimeo.com/271490977

And what system do you use it on?

acYm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:23 pm ahh, well I got a very good mouse, a steelseries rival500, and yeah I can slowly scan through all 0.01 increments, I'm guessing having low DPI on the mouse helps a lot.
Yes! From memory, the numerical display worked smoothly. I could scan through all increments. However, again from memory, these did not correspond with the graphic representation on the dial being turned.

Same issue on Wacom tablet and Apple external trackpad.

Return to “Effects”