Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
13161 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 am

Etienne1973 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:08 am
Etienne1973 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 am
Does the graphic anomaly appear no matter which GPU is at work?
I don't know. Pretty sure the card switching is automatic.
If your MacBook Pro is manufactured 2008 - 2012 then you can use the pref pane app gfxCardStatus to switch between the GPUs. Perhaps this way you find out if it's actually a GPU related problem.
Mid-2012 MBP Can't recall that as a preference pane. Will check it out over the weekend! Cheers!

acYm
KVRian
1008 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Re: Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:33 am

right. probably, if there were no circular knobs and just value displays instead, nobody would be complaining.
I got a 144hz monitor too, I bet it looks much worse still than on an old 60hz where it looks laggy already.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
13161 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:50 am

acYm wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:33 am
if there were no circular knobs and just value displays instead, nobody would be complaining.
Well, the problem wouldn't be there, but there would be complaing :shrug:

perpetual3
KVRian
957 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Re: Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am
perpetual3 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:18 am
Schweps Parallel Particles has TERRIBLE graphic response.
Is it similar to the video I posted?

https://vimeo.com/271490977

And what system do you use it on?
I don’t think so and it’s MacBook Pro 2012 max memory i9 2.9 (I think) fresh SSD 500gb.

I’ll check and get back to thread.

perpetual3
KVRian
957 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Re: Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:09 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 am
Etienne1973 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:08 am
Etienne1973 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 am
Does the graphic anomaly appear no matter which GPU is at work?
I don't know. Pretty sure the card switching is automatic.
If your MacBook Pro is manufactured 2008 - 2012 then you can use the pref pane app gfxCardStatus to switch between the GPUs. Perhaps this way you find out if it's actually a GPU related problem.
Mid-2012 MBP Can't recall that as a preference pane. Will check it out over the weekend! Cheers!
I’m weary of using that because my late 2011 fried the logic board due to GPU issues twice and I used that preference pane a lot.

Scoox
KVRist
190 posts since 8 May, 2008

Re: Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:03 pm

acYm wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:04 am
turning the knobs from an automation controller doesn't look that bad, just not as smooth as others. then, trying with the mouse, yikes, I mean, this is exactly the type of acceleration nobody likes, surely?
yes, windows 7 had similar bullshit by default, first thing I did was to turn it off...
I'm pretty sure most people use the mouse and I'm surprised such a prominent plugin company hasn't noticed the issue themselves or had anyone bring it to their attention. Maybe it works good on Mac, which uses a different acceleration response than Windows, and maybe they are just using the same curve on both OSes?

Tilly
KVRist
39 posts since 18 Feb, 2019

Re: Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Hard to tell here if they're lagging or not. They're so tiny on a good monitor :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
13161 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:20 am

Scoox wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:03 pm
Maybe it works good on Mac, which uses a different acceleration response than Windows
I’m on a Mac :shrug;

User avatar
exmatproton
KVRAF
2400 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Re: Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:19 am

Tilly wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:08 pm
Hard to tell here if they're lagging or not. They're so tiny on a good monitor :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is good monitor a monitor with a high resolution per se? :?:

Scoox
KVRist
190 posts since 8 May, 2008

Re: Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:07 pm

exmatproton wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:19 am
Tilly wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:08 pm
Hard to tell here if they're lagging or not. They're so tiny on a good monitor :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is good monitor a monitor with a high resolution per se? :?:
A good monitor is one with a stand that costs the same as or more than the monitor display bit.

simon.a.billington
KVRAF
1650 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Re: Waves Plugins - Really bad knob response?

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:25 am

Klinke1 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 am
It's not a bug and you are not alone.
It's like it is..it has advantages and disadvantages and they wanted it like that.

The knob response can get worse with an "energy-saving" pc-setting. Try max-power. (realistic test-environment)
This sounds more suspiciously to me like a graphic driver/OS type of issue. My guess is that energy saving settings cut down on the refresh rates, which leads to less processing and lower power consumption.

Asides from checking for updates and changing your energy saving settings, I don’t know if there’s much you can do about it. Though, you could try mentioning it to Waves. If enough people have the same issue they might end up revising how they do things.

Return to “Effects”