Starting to hate Ilok

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a bit of a vent...
I actually didn't mind ilok, even though with newer things I've just been tying the licence to my computer (rather than the ilok) as Pace/ilok have let us do in more recent years, I've still got a few old licences on the physical ilok, it just lives in the back of my tower and I don't think about it.
But recently the ilok has started to shit itself. I've got a few projects on the go that use plugs that have licences on the ilok, and the project just stalls loading when it gets to plugs with the licences on the ilok... but, I can pull it out and put it in again and then the plugin can access it... not good, this just means it's on its last legs... but, the other part of the problem is that the licence manager software just wont acknowledge the physical ilok no matter what, and this means I can't disable the licenses on my ilok, or even transfer them from the ilok to license them to my computer.
No, I haven't contacted support, because I suspect they'll only help if I have their Zero Down Time insurance thingy... and I don't.
Anyway, just wanted to vent, basically; I always supported ilok, but I didn't realise what a stupid system ilok was until there was a problem! :x

an-electric-heart wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:48 amNo, I haven't contacted support, because I suspect
:tu: :roll:

Have you ruled out other culprits, such as your motherboard or OS, or the DAW? I would try the iLok in a different USB port on the same hub, then on a different hub, and also a different device in the port/hub where iLok misbehaves and see if it makes a difference for them. I'd also try disconnecting every other USB device and again try the iLok in different ports. Maybe try different VST hosts.

I would also contact support - it's the logical thing to do after you've exhausted your own options in troubleshooting. Briefly describe the fault in detail (OS, DAW, plugins/vendors) and immediately follow it up with a structured explanation of what you have already done in an attempt to remedy the situation. Technical support will feel much more motivated to tackle your problem if you spare them from having to ask stupid questions. ;-)

I will contact support, but even though I said "I don't mind ilok as a system", but I have had trouble with their support people being just outright difficult dicks. Like I said; I just wanted to vent... and see if others have had this happen.

So the rot is only just starting to set in ?

Give it a little longer and you'll really get to hate the iLok system...

It's a natural progression :wink:
No auto tune...

I've hated iLok for many years already. :lol:

Update your iLok License Manager software (if you haven't already) in case a newer plugin or OS update is having issues with an older version of the software. Try the suggestions about a different hub/port. Then, contact support and be prepared to get another iLok before the current one dies. Just think of the situation you'll be looking at if you have an iLok die with all your licenses on it. If you think that's a possibility, I'd be doing everything I could right now to get those licenses off the failing iLok and back to the account. This way, you can get a new dongle and transfer them to the new one. You don't want your iLok to die with the licenses on it.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:28 am You don't want your iLok to die with the licenses on it.
You don't want an iLok at all....

Problem solved :wink:
No auto tune...

are we talking about an ilok 1, 2 or 3?

acYm wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 pm are we talking about an ilok 1, 2 or 3?
1, so I had wondered if they were ceasing support and their software was no longer compatible, but couldn't see any releases stating as much.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”