Pitch/frequency shifters

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
yellowmix
KVRian
1190 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:00 pm

Little Alter Boy is my go-to for vocals, it's dead simple and sounds good. For creative stuff there's the quantizer for an extreme pitch-correction effect, and combining it in the Rack especially with Crystallizer (use Alter Boy to pitch it one direction then Crystallizer to pitch it back in the other).

Kilohearts pitch shifter has a really good correlation algorithm for standard use. Turn it off and you get Jitter, combined with the grain size control, can get some really interesting granular effects, especially when you use it with SnapHeap or Multipass and modulate everything. Try it on stuff not normally pitch shifted due to non-periodicity, like pads.

Auburn Sounds Grallion lets you chromatically pitch the audio via MIDI. It's got a bunch of other thoughtful effects integrated. There's a free version and a pro version.

Corkscrew from Anarchy Sound is another favorite of mine. It's got multiple pitch shifters in tandem, creating a rising or falling effect (similar to the Shepard Tone but with arbitrary audio input). Can make some interesting risers and downers. Totally free.

For frequency shifters, Kilohearts has one but it's as plain as can be. It needs to be used with the rest of the suite for creative purposes beyond automating the frequency. But frequency shifting can sound pretty extreme by itself so it depends what "creative" means to you. So a lot of discussion needs to describe what each freq shifter can be good for beside the standard metallic/inharmonic effect.

Uhbik-S can go from subtle to scary. At very low shifts, it can create some pleasant phaser-like swirling but it's definitely different from a phase-shifting effect, you have to demo it to hear it. There is a very thoughtful frequency range control that limits the shift range and can also sync to tempo, so you can do things like get rhythmic bubbling on vocals. It's also stereo, you can unlink the channels and shift the phase to make it wider. Try it on atonal material like percussion—the inharmonic shift can create some interesting overtones. I think it's one of the most good-sounding frequency shifters when used subtly.

Fault has the widest creative range IMO. It's got both a Pitch Shifter and a Frequency Shifter. What makes this really interesting is a feedback matrix. The feedback loop has delay, an LP and HP filter, as well as a sample rate reducer. That genius inclusion can lead to some additional pitch and time effects that are fed back into the loop. Of course, all of these can be modulated with the built-in modulators. I love using the input follower to apply parameters to transients or the body (invert it).

As others mention, you can spectrally pitch and frequency shift. Can't beat free, so check out Andrew Reeman's Frequency Shifter from the Spectral Suite. You can change the FFT size which can drastically affect the results. SpecOps is already mentioned, IMO it has an amazing range of possibilities but can easily get gnarly. I also like ReCompose Spexx, it's got a pitch shifter, and the plugin as a whole produces pleasant output, you can get some unique and lovely reverb tails. Expert Sleepers Spectral Conquest is another fun one, it can frequency shift the spectrum, and you can also attenuate specific FFT bin frequencies.

dubguy99
KVRist
109 posts since 28 Jun, 2017

Re: Pitch/frequency shifters

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:34 am

Eventide H910 / H949. The pitch shifting definitely isn't clean but they've got a great vintage sound.

Also Quikquack Pitchwheel. It has some fun pitch modulation options. It also does better on chords than most other pitch shifters I've tried (even the Eventide stuff tends to crap out on non-monophonic material).

simon.a.billington
KVRAF
1643 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:18 am

I like Unfiltered Audio’s Fault. It’s nice, shimmery when it wants to be. I think a part of it also made its way into Byome.

Razzia
KVRist
278 posts since 21 May, 2016

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:28 am

simon.a.billington wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:18 am
I like Unfiltered Audio’s Fault. It’s nice, shimmery when it wants to be. I think a part of it also made its way into Byome.
I really like this plugin. I wasn't especially impressed with Dent/Indent and that sort of colored my opinion of Unfiltered until I found Fault and SpecOps (but especially Fault). They're just such great happy accident machines, and I love having a frequency shifter on an effect that you could otherwise put to more mundane uses. It just encourages you to go "I wonder if it would be cool if I just totally f**ked this sound up...?"

I'd be curious to know how people generally feel about BYOME and TRIAD. They look cool, but I find I hardly ever use those massive multi-effect plugins. Tantra, Movement, etc. Awesome things in theory but in practice maybe a little unwieldy

RobinWood
KVRist
48 posts since 21 May, 2018

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:39 am

Little Alterboy and Toneboosters Pitchshifter are unbeatable imo.

bigtable
Banned
15 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm

mda detune http://mda.smartelectronix.com/

and rs-met freebie shifter http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html

g200k's rovee https://www.g200kg.com/jp/software/rovee.html absolutely, the best. so cool sounding. someone mentioned evantide earlier in the thread, well i think this guy works for them. if this isn't a clue, what about knob man, what kind of person makes that type of program other than someone who works for yamaha, who probably owns evantide.

dangayle
KVRian
993 posts since 30 Mar, 2014

Post Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:40 am

bigtable wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm
mda detune http://mda.smartelectronix.com/

and rs-met freebie shifter http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html

g200k's rovee https://www.g200kg.com/jp/software/rovee.html absolutely, the best. so cool sounding. someone mentioned evantide earlier in the thread, well i think this guy works for them. if this isn't a clue, what about knob man, what kind of person makes that type of program other than someone who works for yamaha, who probably owns evantide.
How have I not seen that rs-met stuff before?

simon.a.billington
KVRAF
1643 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:08 am

Razzia wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:28 am
I really like this plugin. I wasn't especially impressed with Dent/Indent and that sort of colored my opinion of Unfiltered until I found Fault and SpecOps (but especially Fault). They're just such great happy accident machines, and I love having a frequency shifter on an effect that you could otherwise put to more mundane uses. It just encourages you to go "I wonder if it would be cool if I just totally f**ked this sound up...?"

I'd be curious to know how people generally feel about BYOME and TRIAD. They look cool, but I find I hardly ever use those massive multi-effect plugins. Tantra, Movement, etc. Awesome things in theory but in practice maybe a little unwieldy
I don’t mind Dent/Indent myself. You can’t look it as like a regular guitar distortion thing, it’s more like UA’s version of Trash. Less features in one sense, but more modulation in another.

Forgotten
KVRAF
2087 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:22 am

I'll add my vote for Little Alterboy - not an overwhelming number of controls to tweak, but gets the job done very well.

Razzia
KVRist
278 posts since 21 May, 2016

Post Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:12 am

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:08 am
Razzia wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:28 am

I don’t mind Dent/Indent myself. You can’t look it as like a regular guitar distortion thing, it’s more like UA’s version of Trash. Less features in one sense, but more modulation in another.
That's funny, mentally I made the same exact comparison to Trash. As a sound design tool I've always thought Trash was excellent and probably underrated. I don't think Dent is bad at all, I just thought it was kind of so so, and gave me a first impression of Unfiltered being decent but not exceptional. But if you like weird/glitchy stuff (and I do) Fault and Spec Ops are great plugins.

Return to “Effects”