Looking for a piano VST ("old, crappy, video game" sound/FX)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Examples:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s11IRJSZSPE6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lKS5yWeLJ8

Any ideas on making sounds like this?

Thanks! :D

I can’t listen to those at the moment, but any cheap free piano vst - or, better, FM piano (or other very digital one) run through tritik krush or d16 decimort 8bit crush might get a cheap sound you want. Good luck!

I agree, just take a very cheap Piano library. there are a lot of old soundfonts out there, and there is the free Plogue player for that format.

Thanks! Soundfonts might be the ticket :) Will try those FX!

I guess I would describe the piano sound as "highly compressed and thin" lol.

Watch this:
https://sites.google.com/site/digitalsy ... some-piano

The best crappy piano ever !
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:34 pm Watch this:
https://sites.google.com/site/digitalsy ... some-piano

The best crappy piano ever !
:tu:
Ha! Pretty good ^ ^ A piano that does what it wants

Aah, people spent decades trying to get pianos on synths that sounded more detailed, now people want the complete opposite. Irony wot!

This is likely a sample that is further processed. if it were me, I'd start by making a synth that that sounded quite piano-like (Europa or Thor - all Reason devices but use what you have), then sample it off to give it that Polaroid quality. Probably then through a Saturation device (Scream4) and Delay (The Echo). I might even use a Flanger to create movement that wasn't too chorusy. For Reverb I'd be as likely to use something considered poor like the RV-1 over the RV-7000 as an insert than whatever the fancier Send verb was.

:-)

Benedict wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:36 pm Aah, people spent decades trying to get pianos on synths that sounded more detailed, now people want the complete opposite. Irony wot!

This is likely a sample that is further processed. if it were me, I'd start by making a synth that that sounded quite piano-like (Europa or Thor - all Reason devices but use what you have), then sample it off to give it that Polaroid quality. Probably then through a Saturation device (Scream4) and Delay (The Echo). I might even use a Flanger to create movement that wasn't too chorusy. For Reverb I'd be as likely to use something considered poor like the RV-1 over the RV-7000 as an insert than whatever the fancier Send verb was.
Nice tutorial :) I've never done sampling!

Even if I could afford a high-end piano sample like Spitfire, it's not like I have a proper, quality action keyboard to utilize it with! But some day, some day...

Thanks

Every DAW comes with some simple sample playing device.

But you don't need, need to do the sample bit. It just helps get that transposed overtones feel that comes from using one sample over a large range.

You don't need fancy sample libraries. The sense of feel from a well-composed melody, variations, counter-melody... is the most important part. Focus on that and then you will make the most of what you do have. It is amazing how much feel you can put in with the simplest of sounds (and good mix processing - which does not mean side-chaining).

Also accept that if you aren't great with a thing, find someone who is to do it with/for you. Famous people are never doing it alone.

Benedict wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:20 amYou don't need fancy sample libraries. The sense of feel from a well-composed melody, variations, counter-melody... is the most important part. Focus on that and then you will make the most of what you do have. It is amazing how much feel you can put in with the simplest of sounds (and good mix processing - which does not mean side-chaining).
For me, quality sounds are the most inspiring part! ;P But then again, I don't know how to create actual songs/compositions yet. Any suggestions on where to learn complete song composing/making on an entry level..? Basic structure(s), and getting music ideas down on paper/notation software before going into a DAW?

I am trying to stick with MixCraft(and maybe MuLab), which has a standard score/notation editor, as well as MIDI and step editors.

Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

In fact any piano emulation (no matter the quality) can fit to make a crippy or died piano... if it's simply followed by a wow&flutter plugin or by any tape emulation plugin. Another solution: add a pitch correction plugin or a frequency correction plugin... to detune the output. A simple equalizer will do the rest to make it appear very old and crippy.
:lol:

All these little effects are everywhere for free.
:D

CT007 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:32 am Any suggestions on where to learn complete song composing/making on an entry level..? Basic structure(s), and getting music ideas down

I am trying to stick with MixCraft(and maybe MuLab), which has a standard score/notation editor, as well as MIDI and step editors.
I'm glad you asked.

I have made a few articles on the making a piece thing (look in the Tutorials section) but this one has everything you need in one place. Sure it may be a bit of material but condensing hundreds of years of musical history into 2 minutes is not doable - or even wise.

https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2018/06/1 ... d-cheated/

Work your way through the vids bit by bit and go over them again and again and you will be going in the right direction.

Where unsure: ASK. Don't just think you need something else, or simpler with more flashing lights (better samples etc), as that takes you off-course every time.

Benedict wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:10 amI have made a few articles on the making a piece thing (look in the Tutorials section) but this one has everything you need in one place. Sure it may be a bit of material but condensing hundreds of years of musical history into 2 minutes is not doable - or even wise.
Sweet!! I will attempt to jam my way through this, and see how it goes :)

Learning music theory on its own doesn't get me to music creation, just like playing someone else's sheet music doesn't get me there. Creating the actual music(composition?) has to be the main subject, then theory and different genres and all that extra stuff can be side lessons, IMO. With music creation homework/challenges ^ ^

Something simple like chiptunes or video game music is probably a good starting point, for low complexity of instrumentation.

Return to “Instruments”