Liquid notes

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
djmino02
KVRian
763 posts since 24 Nov, 2011

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:02 pm

I noticed that liquid notes is at a pretty deep discount. Anybody have experience with using liquid notes? Opinions? Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks! Much abliged!

GusGranite
KVRist
38 posts since 18 Feb, 2019

Re: Liquid notes

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Curious too. I really like their drum one. Very quirky but I get good results.

yellowmix
KVRian
1192 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:36 pm

It's fundamentally a reharmonizing tool. It lets you play with existing MIDI files. It can play back through its own synthesis engine which is fine for the task, or with a system-dependent multitrack MIDI routing to your DAW. It runs via Java.

You feed it a MIDI file, it analyzes it. It comes with some short templates if you want inspiration. Or you can give it one of your own MIDI files.

It does a pretty good job of assigning roles to channels but you can refine it. Polyphonic tracks are usually detected as chords, bass (via lower MIDI note #) is given the role of "root" even if it does not necessarily follow the root note of the chord track, higher MIDI notes are considered melody, which are generally slaves to the chords (but this can be unlinked). Percussion should be categorized as such so it is not part of the harmonic analysis. Dive into settings and you can tell whether each track follows the chords or not, adds tension.

Across the timeline each chord is assigned a "region" (like a mixer panel) with various controls. It auto-assigns the function of the chord as I Tonic, IV Subdominant, or V Dominant. Anything that isn't one of those is assigned as Tonic. When I give it MIDI files written in a minor scale it detects it as the relative major. But I've seen it detect minor in other people's videos. Maybe my stuff is too ambiguous.

Anyway, you can change the basic function, it's a slider. There are knobs for tension and chord. Chord makes chord substitutions, tension increases degree of dissonance. Leftmost is "conventional" ("probability of expectation"), turning the knobs right makes it less conventional, and the color changes from green to red. Changing any value plays back the new chord. Changing one region can affect other regions to make the whole progression make sense. There's a reset button to bring it back to the original chord. You can also manually change the chord from a dropdown. You can change all of this at any time, even during playback. There's a live improvisation mode called LN Live, you can control it via MIDI or QWERTY keyboard.

You can export the resulting MIDI via drag and drop, can drag and drop it directly into your DAW. That's about it. So it's best to feed it relatively conventional chord progressions (or load a template) then go to town and make it more interesting. If you already write interesting chords then it's going to be less useful but could still be inspirational, and it reharmonizes the melody tracks for you too. The workflow is very good, the live improvisation works well.

Try feeding it MIDI from classical composers (especially baroque), it's fun to play around with them.

yellowmix
KVRian
1192 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:39 pm

If you're talking about Liquid Rhythm, that is actually made by a different company called WaveDNA and it is indeed interesting. Liquid Notes is made by ReCompose, which also makes IC28 (another composing aid) and Spexx (a really nice spectral effect). WaveDNA also makes Liquid Music. Confusing, right?

novak
KVRer
2 posts since 14 Apr, 2010

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:25 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Liked this when it 1st came out, but since this comms have moved to other kinda like tools

https://www.re-compose.com/clarificatio ... pment.html (https://www.re-compose.com/clarification-about-liquid-notes-and-trends-in-software-development.html)

Return to “Effects”