Yamaha CS-80 vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That Nova track in the video has got decent music.

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:57 am A producer who can't play is going to produce shit
BONES wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:09 am And, for the record, I don't have any keyboard playing skills.
Hmmm.

Quote: "I have been in such a pickle since I
saw you last that, I fear me, will never out of
my bones" :D

---------------

As for DeadMau5, he says himself in his master class that he can't play the keyboard. So, no point in arguing about that, right.
In his songs, he often layers massive chords (like 6 notes), and comes up with very idiosyncratic chords by just try and error/experimenting so the way he works in programming it all in the piano roll is actually instrumental to his sound. If he played live, he wouldn't have this sound.

This is not a plea against live playing off course, but to demonstrate that programming also has it's merits. Vine Clark also programmed his Yazoo stuff (even simple stuff) and according to Alison Moyet, his programming gave the music a special flavor.
Last edited by Stefken on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeCat wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:40 am Cross pollinating from the Xils thread and this post from Lotuzia, and beating my own dead horse from last year, something about the Xils synths capture the essence of CS-80 sound - and the fact that Jarre himself uses miniSyn'X counts for something I don't own the miniSyn'X but imma think that's my next purchase.

I do own the Arturia but haven't' had much time to mess with it. Still, while you can obviously more easily recreate patches with an emulation and work with the original's feature set, if it's a "vibe" you're going for, this and the polyKB seem to also fit the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAwpbtMHkjY
Wow. Thanks :oops:

Ime -only- I got the best results to emulate some CS-80 patches -a la Blade Runner - with the Xils PolyKB III (with the last soundbank I made with it, lost circuits). Some oscillators combinations and the LPF filter character, really get you very very close.
This said, All Xils have this 'organic/vibrant/you name it' quality, that make patches alive and a pleasure to play with (imo again).
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Stefken wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 am Vine Clark also programmed everything (even simple stuff) and according to Alison Moyet, his programming gave the music a special flavor.
he wrote all his songs on guitar first, then converted to synths

he still plays both live

Did you read the sentence just before that (duh)?

Of course he plays live, but he did program his Yazoo stuff in.

Lotuzia wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:47 am
JoeCat wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:40 am Cross pollinating from the Xils thread and this post from Lotuzia, and beating my own dead horse from last year, something about the Xils synths capture the essence of CS-80 sound - and the fact that Jarre himself uses miniSyn'X counts for something I don't own the miniSyn'X but imma think that's my next purchase.

I do own the Arturia but haven't' had much time to mess with it. Still, while you can obviously more easily recreate patches with an emulation and work with the original's feature set, if it's a "vibe" you're going for, this and the polyKB seem to also fit the bill.
Wow. Thanks :oops:

Ime -only- I got the best results to emulate some CS-80 patches -a la Blade Runner - with the Xils PolyKB III (with the last soundbank I made with it, lost circuits). Some oscillators combinations and the LPF filter character, really get you very very close.
This said, All Xils have this 'organic/vibrant/you name it' quality, that make patches alive and a pleasure to play with (imo again).
Yeah, PolyKB is a go-to for me, especially for evolving vintage pads - the second filter of course helps with the CS-80 stuff. I was surprised at some of the miniSyn'X sounds though, especially since it models DCOs. And it's on sale...so :hyper:

I had a bit of an obsession with the CS-80 in my youth, but more because of the plethora of controls - anything that looked like Mission Control excited me (2600!). I carried around a borrowed Fender Rhodes for a few years so I think I was prepared for the heavy lifting. I'm inclined to fire up the Arturia though just to get inspiration from the ridiculously complicated front panel :)

I had a cs-70m during a short time, and I was foolish enough to sell it because *I thought I highly needed a certain uberrompler*. Not the wisest decision from my part :)

CS-series are wonderful machines. I'd take a Cs-80 over any OB or Prophet etc nowadays.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Deleted (wrong thread) :hihi:
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

what's that got to do with the CS80?

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:11 pm what's that got to do with the CS80?
Nothing.
I got the wrong thread.
:lol:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

mgw38 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:50 amHe actually said that himself in his Masterclass course. But I am honestly not sure how true that really is. I am fairly certain he knows how to play a keyboard good enough for the type of music he is producing.
Exactly, same as me. I'd never be able to play 90% of the stuff we make but that's because I don't need to. All I need to be able to do is play a sustained pad or string patch while I am singing and maybe the occasional (short) solo when I'm not. But back in the day, before I could afford a MIDI set-up, the only way it could work was if I played two parts and sang at the same time, so I had to practice a lot to be able to do that. But if you don't practice, the skills lapse pretty quickly. I've never been one to enjoy practising anything, and I have absolutely no innate talent to speak of, so my skills lapsed a long, long time ago.
Elektronisch wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:46 amIm sure he didnt knew how to play. Aquiring keyboard doesnt mean you suddenly know how to play.
So what did he do, stare at it? Of course he'd have learned how to use it.
Skrillex doesnt play keyboard, guitar.
In the context of the discussion, that's even more relevant because a guitarist would have way higher expectations of expressivity than a keyboard player, so it actually reinforces my point.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:54 am
Elektronisch wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:46 amIm sure he didnt knew how to play. Aquiring keyboard doesnt mean you suddenly know how to play.
So according to you he lied in his masterclass. And ofcourse you are 100% sure of that its a fact because?

P.s. I have a guitar. And yes i just stare at it, studio decoration. Not planing of learning it.

Elektronisch wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:31 am
BONES wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:54 am
So according to you he lied in his masterclass. And ofcourse you are 100% sure of that its a fact because?

P.s. I have a guitar. And yes i just stare at it, studio decoration. Not planing of learning it.
People are always so quick with the term "lie" nowadays. Why is that?

Knowing how to play is relative. I don't think there is a question that he would not be able to play a Rachmaninov piece or do a Jazz improv. If he compares himself with the keyboard players he interacts with, he most likely will come to the conclusion that he can't play. But for his type of music his skills are most likely perfectly fine. Even if he had no clue at the beginning there is literally no way he could not pick that up given how long he has been in the business.

And it should also be mentioned that in the very same video where he talks about that he can't play, he also says that this has been a real disadvantage. I can't remember the exact words but I think it was something to the effect that if he would change anything if he could go back it would be to learn how to play.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Of course knowing how to play is relative.
When we talk about being able to play, we're not talking about playing some simple c major triads.

If you use that definition somebody is a painter, sketching artist, .. the moment they manage to put something on paper. We're talking nominal skills here.

Stefken wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:55 pmOf course knowing how to play is relative.
When we talk about being able to play, we're not talking about playing some simple c major triads
Here I was, thinking I was a real player. I'm crushed! :cry:

Next you'll be telling me, just because I can reliably hit the top of the drum with a stick, without missing, that doesn't make me a drummer either! :hihi:
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Return to “Instruments”