Waves Plugins - Really bad graphical response?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:08 pm
Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 pm Does the graphic anomaly appear no matter which GPU is at work?
I don't know. Pretty sure the card switching is automatic.
If your MacBook Pro is manufactured 2008 - 2012 then you can use the pref pane app gfxCardStatus to switch between the GPUs. Perhaps this way you find out if it's actually a GPU related problem.
Mid-2012 MBP Can't recall that as a preference pane. Will check it out over the weekend! Cheers!

right. probably, if there were no circular knobs and just value displays instead, nobody would be complaining.
I got a 144hz monitor too, I bet it looks much worse still than on an old 60hz where it looks laggy already.

acYm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:33 pmif there were no circular knobs and just value displays instead, nobody would be complaining.
Well, the problem wouldn't be there, but there would be complaing :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:26 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 pm Schweps Parallel Particles has TERRIBLE graphic response.
Is it similar to the video I posted?

https://vimeo.com/271490977

And what system do you use it on?
I don’t think so and it’s MacBook Pro 2012 max memory i9 2.9 (I think) fresh SSD 500gb.

I’ll check and get back to thread.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:32 pm
Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:08 pm
Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 pm Does the graphic anomaly appear no matter which GPU is at work?
I don't know. Pretty sure the card switching is automatic.
If your MacBook Pro is manufactured 2008 - 2012 then you can use the pref pane app gfxCardStatus to switch between the GPUs. Perhaps this way you find out if it's actually a GPU related problem.
Mid-2012 MBP Can't recall that as a preference pane. Will check it out over the weekend! Cheers!
I’m weary of using that because my late 2011 fried the logic board due to GPU issues twice and I used that preference pane a lot.

acYm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 pmturning the knobs from an automation controller doesn't look that bad, just not as smooth as others. then, trying with the mouse, yikes, I mean, this is exactly the type of acceleration nobody likes, surely?
yes, windows 7 had similar bullshit by default, first thing I did was to turn it off...
I'm pretty sure most people use the mouse and I'm surprised such a prominent plugin company hasn't noticed the issue themselves or had anyone bring it to their attention. Maybe it works good on Mac, which uses a different acceleration response than Windows, and maybe they are just using the same curve on both OSes?

Hard to tell here if they're lagging or not. They're so tiny on a good monitor :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scoox wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:03 amMaybe it works good on Mac, which uses a different acceleration response than Windows
I’m on a Mac :shrug;

Tilly wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:08 am Hard to tell here if they're lagging or not. They're so tiny on a good monitor :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is good monitor a monitor with a high resolution per se? :?:

exmatproton wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:19 pm
Tilly wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:08 am Hard to tell here if they're lagging or not. They're so tiny on a good monitor :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is good monitor a monitor with a high resolution per se? :?:
A good monitor is one with a stand that costs the same as or more than the monitor display bit.

Klinke1 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:09 pm It's not a bug and you are not alone.
It's like it is..it has advantages and disadvantages and they wanted it like that.

The knob response can get worse with an "energy-saving" pc-setting. Try max-power. (realistic test-environment)
This sounds more suspiciously to me like a graphic driver/OS type of issue. My guess is that energy saving settings cut down on the refresh rates, which leads to less processing and lower power consumption.

Asides from checking for updates and changing your energy saving settings, I don’t know if there’s much you can do about it. Though, you could try mentioning it to Waves. If enough people have the same issue they might end up revising how they do things.

Is anybody having a problem with CPU usage going up when opening Waves plugins UI? My usage jumps up about 5% when opening one of their plugins. I can click on the basic Reaper UI for the plugin and it pretty much drops down to nothing. Waves and Unfiltered Audio plugins are the two types of plugins that are doing this in Reaper for me as of now. I'm on Win10/64 and latest version of Reaper. I do have a fanless basic MSI graphics card (nvidea) - could this be the problem? It works well with everything else.

Nope
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

simon.a.billington wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:25 pm
Klinke1 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:09 pm It's not a bug and you are not alone.
It's like it is..it has advantages and disadvantages and they wanted it like that.

The knob response can get worse with an "energy-saving" pc-setting. Try max-power. (realistic test-environment)
This sounds more suspiciously to me like a graphic driver/OS type of issue. My guess is that energy saving settings cut down on the refresh rates, which leads to less processing and lower power consumption.

Asides from checking for updates and changing your energy saving settings, I don’t know if there’s much you can do about it. Though, you could try mentioning it to Waves. If enough people have the same issue they might end up revising how they do things.
no.

Waves plugins run (in many cases) quite horrible, 'refresh-rate-wise'. At this point it is the only company from which i use plugins with this behavior.
From KV331 to U-He to Tone2 to Arturia to NI to Cherry Audio to Waldorf to ImageLine to everything from plugin alliance to Slate; it all runs without any hassle.

Okay,,,strike that; just opened a bunch of Waves plugins and it seems like those plugins run quite ok now :o

I briefly owned and used a couple Waves plugins and frankly the interfaces felt so bad that I found myself actually avoiding using them. I don't know what it was about them, but the impression I got was that they were mashed together using a sub-par or not purpose-built GUI API and the different zone boundaries for interfacing (i.e. parameter adjustments) were badly defined or buggy and didn't always have perfect correlation with the graphics rendered to represent them. I was subconsciously learning to click on areas that were visually slightly offset from the GUI elements, or aim at targets much smaller than was visually indicated. Sometimes when I did successfully grab a control, adjusting the parameters often felt crap, like they were either too slow to respond, or spastic, as if acceleration was applied to the motions.

Overall almost every Waves plugin that I used felt sloppy, and that feel and incoherent layouts and visual styles between the different plugins actually earned them a stigma of mass-produced junk in my eyes, like everything they put out was copy-pasted together in a hurry. My jaw wouldn't drop if it was revealed that they stole or "borrowed" all their DSP code. Not saying they would, not even saying they don't make quality stuff, but I'm not taking the blame for the shitty impression their software left on me.

Return to “Effects”