Power Metal

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
AngelCityOutlaw
KVRist
95 posts since 4 Dec, 2017

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:52 pm

An ultra-cheese, horse-galloping power metal song I wrote for a fantasy indie game as a battle theme. Let me know what you think!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWh7fz0BoLY

wagtunes
KVRAF
16723 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Power Metal

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:04 pm

For a video game, works for me. Well done. Sounds a little like Dragonforce. Virtual or real guitar on the lead? What FX used? Also, double tracked? Always wanted to get that lead sound but had no clue where to start.

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
6004 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:32 pm

Hehe, got that Iron Maiden 80s cheese off to a tee. Nive one!
wagtunes wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:04 pm
Always wanted to get that lead sound but had no clue where to start.
You could double track the guitars a la Iron Maiden/Judas Preist..or you could do it the easy way. Harmonizers have been around for ages in hardware and no doubt there's loads of vsts. For a simple one I like the one in Guitar Rig (called 'Pitch Pedal). It's basically also a ripoff of the Digitech Whammy pedal and also lets you do all manner of freaky impossible bends as well as the usual harmonizing stuff. I bet you've got guitar rig..give it a whirl before an amp sim - instant metel cheese. :hihi:

wagtunes
KVRAF
16723 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:06 pm

donkey tugger wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:32 pm
Hehe, got that Iron Maiden 80s cheese off to a tee. Nive one!
wagtunes wrote:
Always wanted to get that lead sound but had no clue where to start.
You could double track the guitars a la Iron Maiden/Judas Preist..or you could do it the easy way. Harmonizers have been around for ages in hardware and no doubt there's loads of vsts. For a simple one I like the one in Guitar Rig (called 'Pitch Pedal). It's basically also a ripoff of the Digitech Whammy pedal and also lets you do all manner of freaky impossible bends as well as the usual harmonizing stuff. I bet you've got guitar rig..give it a whirl before an amp sim - instant metel cheese. :hihi:
Yes, I do have guitar rig, but not being a guitarist (well, not a die hard one) I'm really not familiar with all the different FX and what they're used for. I know basic distortion but that's really about it. The "exotic" stuff, not a clue.

JCJR
KVRAF
2692 posts since 17 Apr, 2005 from S.E. TN

Post Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:35 am

Sounds good.

Benedict
KVRAF
2971 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:48 pm

Wag I think you are liking the Octaver sound. Look for Octave or Pitch Shift stomps. They let you parallel yourself. Or play it again.

As for the track... Actually pretty good. Better than most of the "real" Power Metal coming out these days. Probably because without a vocalist wailing about beer, you needed a hook. A shame the piece doesn't develop tho. Why stop at a loop?

:-)

smd12
KVRist
200 posts since 25 Jan, 2010

Post Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:34 pm

Sounds great \m/ :evil: \m/

AngelCityOutlaw
KVRist

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:03 pm

wagtunes wrote:
For a video game, works for me. Well done. Sounds a little like Dragonforce. Virtual or real guitar on the lead? What FX used? Also, double tracked? Always wanted to get that lead sound but had no clue where to start.
As others have said, it's simply playing the same thing but in parallel thirds or octaves! I don't like the pitch-shifting method though, because it gives you no control over specific intervals. Most harmonizers, if you just set it to 3rds and the scale, it will give you 100% thirds, of course.

But over certain chords, on the root note, that can create unwanted extensions and a fifth is better suited. Impossible (as far as I know) with harmonizers. It also just sounds better with separate performances anyway.

Benedict
KVRAF
2971 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks for that. Not being a guitarist (not that it stopped me making some Metal) I didn't fully understand. It is a great sound when done right.

AngelCityOutlaw
KVRist

Post Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Benedict wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:02 pm
Thanks for that. Not being a guitarist (not that it stopped me making some Metal) I didn't fully understand. It is a great sound when done right.

No worries, man. :ud:

Return to “Music Cafe”