More whining about waves

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Being a real working professional engineer is harder then most people can handle, for real.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:38 pm Again. If you go on a trip, you can deactivate your licenses, and activate them on your laptop.
Licenses could also put on a USB drive, mentioned earlier, below.
Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:45 am Do you use the plugins on 2 machines at the same time? So moving Waves licenses on an USB Stick doesn't help?
Problem solved.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I prefer at least two activations. It's a rare situation a legit studio would buy half the licenses it needs when any disgruntled employee would sic the DRM police on them, and how many pirates are going to purchase and share with one best bud only. In any case, the USB drive is a consumer-friendlier solution than a proprietary iLok or e-Licenser (though I'm already deep in that situation). Still, if the USB-based DRM stops at 3 USB ports I'll be happy. Still beats the serial dongle centipede.

Waves maintains compatibility across so many plugins over so many years like no other developer. I admire that. They R&D'd some amazing innovations (and kept it under patent for decades), and some of those plugs are still favorites. I get why they do the WUP but find it hostile to the second-hand market which is ultimately consumer-hostile, especially when plugins very rarely get feature updates. So holistically I haven't bought any Waves plugins in a long time, especially when I can always grab something if I really need it at a bargain price, but I was open to it.

With the exploding market and glut of competition their DSP innovation is being outpaced by Sonible, Eventide/Newfangled, Izotope, Accusonus, Zynaptiq, Soundtheory, Oeksound, and so many more. This is evinced by technologies that are presented in a manner bordering on quackery (the studio modeller that lets you "mix better" in particular *roll eyes*). That is really disappointing to see and I have to admit, that lost my respect. I'm hoping they turn it around but I'm not sure how they would do that.

My only gripe currently with Waves is that their Central is pretty stupid. Why have a license manager if it can not manage your software properly. Most of my plugins are still on V9.6 with about 5 being on V10 and the Central can only manage V10 plugins. It's pretty annoying having to download a 200mb Central installer to manage 5 plugins and then having to mess around with the V9.6 plugins separately. It's also stupid that it offers V10 upgrades to all plugins even though there are no v10 licenses.

Honestly, if you have a separate license manager and software installer at least put some f*cking effort into it so it can manage all your plugins normally. I'm sure majority of their customers are still on V9.6 so at least that version should be supported alongside v10, especially as the latter does offer nothing significant over the previous one.
No signature here!

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:33 pm Yeah, but... sometimes you just want to uninstall 1 of the 60, and keep the other 59. Pretty annoying to have to reinstall all of them. Not just the time, but, the effort.

Fortunately, i only have 3.
If you want to uninstall a single plugins just delete its subfolder in Waves program directory. As single Waves plugins leave no other info on your computer deleting a plugin folder results in clean uninstall.
No signature here!

Just refreshed Windows 1903. "Some settings are managed by your system administrator" malarkey.
Just reinstalled V9 and V10 in minutes with offline installers made for future installs, using Waves Central.
Surprised how easy and quick it was, not all bad.

This could be turning into a praise.

Native instruments took longer, downloads no saved locally, even though the libraries are on a separate HDD.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burillo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:34 am if you can afford having two machines, you certainly can afford two licenses. /s
what the man said :clown:

sureno wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:46 pm This is probably the most educational content Iv seen here on KVR in a while, quite happy to tick my new thing learnt for the day lol
Burillo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am
Burillo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:34 am if you can afford having two machines, you certainly can afford two licenses. /s
Logic fail
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=%2Fs
haha same

It really is an annoying limitation. Like many, I prefer to have the same setup on my desktop and laptop. Sure, all my licenses are on a USB drive, but it really is terrifying to start moving that sucker around, especially when it's dangling precariously out of the side of my MacBook. If it is damaged I am obviously royally screwed. And increasingly, I'm using my laptop as a 'synth station' driven by my midi controller, forcing me to commit to keys parts at recording time. No Rhapsody Piano for me in that setup...

Plugin Alliance allows me to have 3 licenses active: one on a USB drive plugged into my main machine, one on the MacBook directly, and one kept in spare in case of emergencies. This provides so much more peace of mind. I have quite a few Waves plugins that I really like, but I'm done buying more until they up the limit to 2, and I'm moving away from using them in my projects when I have a suitable alternative from a more accommodating publisher. :)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Waveform 11 Pro/Studio One Pro 3.5

tovokas wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:58 am Sure, all my licenses are on a USB drive, but it really is terrifying to start moving that sucker around, especially when it's dangling precariously out of the side of my MacBook.
https://www.mymemory.ie/integral-128gb- ... gKDBPD_BwE

or anything similar.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Isnt this the case with a lot of plugins?

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:59 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:38 pm Again. If you go on a trip, you can deactivate your licenses, and activate them on your laptop.
Licenses could also put on a USB drive.
Problem solved.
This. All of mine are on a thumb drive that was 20 bucks.

Vleker wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:02 pm Isnt this the case with a lot of plugins?
It's a PITA to be mobile with a lot of plugs. In a perfect world there would be keyfiles for everything, but the warez kiddies have ruined that for the most part.

Vleker wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:02 pm Isnt this the case with a lot of plugins?
Multiple activations/authorizations? It's not the norm to have just one, the overwhelming majority of plugin developers allow single-user/multi-computer to varying degree.

It's a relatively short list for single-user/single-machine/USB key: Waves, TC Electronic, Zynaptiq, Metric Halo, Krotos, McDSP, GRM, Exponential (this may change as they are absorbed into Izotope), EastWest instruments (I have 2 for Play for some reason). There's a handful more.

If you're not sure, Google the developer with "how many computers". Those that allow multiple activations will gladly tell you. The single-computer developers are generally more reticent, or offer the USB key solution.

Burillo wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:07 am
tovokas wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:58 am Sure, all my licenses are on a USB drive, but it really is terrifying to start moving that sucker around, especially when it's dangling precariously out of the side of my MacBook.
https://www.mymemory.ie/integral-128gb- ... gKDBPD_BwE

or anything similar.
Here's similar.
£5.90 Ebay 32GB
SanDisk Ultra Fit
RokLocker

:arrow: Die Cast Aluminium iLok Protection Box

Return to “Effects”