What are your top five favorite FX plugins that really helped you in your music production ..?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Saturation
Plugin Alliance Black Box HG-2 - The first saturator I feel comfortable with slapping on the master buss.
EQ
Fabfilter Pro-Q - I used Voxengo Gliss-EQ for ages. But once I finally tried Pro-Q, I never looked back. Great workflow improvement.
Multi-tool
Izotope RX - It's such a versatile tool. I often use Leveller on vocal tracks. It reduces the need for compression and de-essing.
Glue
Soundtoys Devil-Loc - My main glue tool. Perfect for parallell processing of drums.
Multiband
Voxengo Soniformer. Really transparent when using it moderately. It's been on my master buss for ages.

xoxos wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:10 pm scored my first multitrack in 1991. not sure i've used five effects in the last decade.. so for contrast

#1 is definately host eq

stereo delay on everything
reverb (xoxos) just ok reverb, but low cpu
MDA dynamics (ancient, no oversampling, i don't push it)

occasional gate and phaser i can recall. does this correlate with most skill development, dunno, but its gelled that way for so long it probably represents something.

i coded some wild effects, like a fft cascade, but in composition, i've only used the demo .wav i recorded with that effect :hihi:

I like this post. Are you recording hardware+fx on the way in or just making music with a really stripped back setup?

ReverendLove wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:12 am Plugins, which really help me:
Airwaves consoles
Blue Cat's gain suite - grouping and reversing are heaven send
MMultiAnalyzer
TB Isone with TB Morphit
Forgot to list the Gain Suite plugins in my original post. :)

Mnoisegenerator
Zebrify

Honorable mention to Pro-Q, although I can definitely live without it

s28 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:56 am I like this post. Are you recording hardware+fx on the way in or just making music with a really stripped back setup?
nah, my particularity (synth dev) is method as expression. some kind of memetic/intellectual minimalism ;)

imo teh "first, learn to EQ" part of my experience is worth articulating, but for me making recordings drifted too far from the concept of sensationalism. i like my work to be transparent, where you can see how it fits together, even if that makes it boring. can't recommend it as a modality but there you are :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:14 am imo teh "first, learn to EQ" part of my experience is worth articulating
I'd like to know more about this philosophy.

principle attributed to kilo 4-3, admin of dancetech.com, before vst, facile spectral analysis.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:55 pm principle attributed to kilo 4-3, admin of dancetech.com, before vst, facile spectral analysis.
Let me see if I can translate what you just said:
"The principle that I alluded to can be attributed to kilo 4-3, admin of dancetech.com. It comes before using any VSTs or superficial spectral analysis."

Did I get that right?

For me its:
Pro Q
Presswerk
Molekular (and Reaktor)
Wormhole
Triad (recently)

Hmm, just 5?

PSP Vintage warmer 2 or MasterComp
TB Reelbus
TB Barricade or PSP Xenon
PSP Echo
ValhallaRoom and/or Plate

First three on master, last two as fx sends. Vroom probably gets the most use. I don’t use any of them on everything but quite a bit. Reasons: they sound great, are flexible for my uses and a previous post the people behind these three companies are great. Since most of what i do is ITB, i don’t use much actual compression. I have started to use the in built reverb and eq on some of my softsynths.
Lastly i use either my DAW eq (Reaper or Ableton live), or PSP Neon.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Effects”