Granular FX similiar to VPS Timefreeze

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I actually think Portal is pretty disappointing in terms of it's granular capabilities. I bought it and returned it. If you're looking to do more grain-cloudy, dense stuff I think Portal isn't a great choice. It relies a lot on the other onboard effects. It's a pretty good general sound mangler but I wouldn't turn to it for smoother granular sounds. YMMV

Funny, I got the opposite impression from the sound demos of Portal. I thought sounded a little too tame and gentle for my taste. I wish Output's stuff was half as expensive. They have some neat ideas, but charge a lot for things that just don't seem unique enough to justify the price, IMO.

As someone who has Cubase, I wasn't bothered about the dongle requirement with VPS and I'm glad I got their FX bundle. They're a little old, since plugins seem to age in dog years, but there are still some real gems in there, some of which are pretty unique too. There are three separate plugins that do glitchy, grain and/or FFT based smearing and pitch shifting type effects, and all of them are easy to use with good - if small - interfaces. SpectralQ is pretty sweet too. Like u-he's filterscape, morphing between snapshots, except it's a spectral equalizer like the Free FFT mode in Avenger.

Razzia wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:15 am Funny, I got the opposite impression from the sound demos of Portal. I thought sounded a little too tame and gentle for my taste. I wish Output's stuff was half as expensive. They have some neat ideas, but charge a lot for things that just don't seem unique enough to justify the price, IMO.
I actually kinda agree with you. It's too tame to be a top-tier sound mangler but too "rough" to be a smooth cloud maker. Sorta sits in the boring middle. I mean, it's totally capable of adding some spice to a sound but for $149 I expected more. Sucks that there's no demo.

psynical wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:15 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:55 pm Huh?
Sorry, the other time freezer... from VPS:
https://youtu.be/l87acmmzBp0

Which requires a hardware dongle:
https://vengeance-sound.com/plugins.php ... Bundle%202
Ah, ok! Well, the other Timefreezer is a really excellent set of plugins :tu:

Razzia wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:15 am but there are still some real gems in there, some of which are pretty unique too. There are three separate plugins that do glitchy, grain and/or FFT based smearing and pitch shifting type effects, and all of them are easy to use with good - if small - interfaces. SpectralQ is pretty sweet too.
Yeah, it's a shame. I'm 100% certain they could sell the crap out of those filters if they didn't have the hardware requirement.

Return to “Effects”