Is it Raining With You? (genre unknown) - feedback welcome...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bit of an untypical melancholy one from me. Don't quite know how to label this in terms of genre. Any ideas?
Just created an instrumental to get some more enjoyment out of my new Orangetree guitar library.
Feedback welcome as always.
edit: meh, first few bars of piano too loud. :s Always listen to your mix next day before rendering it.
https://soundcloud.com/bansaw-843690132 ... g-with-you
Last edited by Bansaw on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cool track, I really must check out those Orangetree guitar libraries it sounds quite convincing. As for genre, when in doubt just call it New Age :)

Nice job.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

I like the moody side of Bansaw Crown. Very well done. :tu:

It seems to be mastered on the loud side like a club track.

It looks like you are not a native English speaker. I would suggest calling it "Is It Raining Where You Are?"

Frantz wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:17 am I like the moody side of Bansaw Crown. Very well done. :tu:

It looks like you are not a native English speaker. I would suggest calling it "Is It Raining Where You Are?"
The title is obviously a Eurythmics reference.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Obviosuly I know nothing about sinthesisers so I wont comment on them...except that they sound right for what it is.

Guitar does sound a bit 'wrong' to me though. it's a good sound for the piece but I think you've made the mistake a lot of people programming guitars do in that you've over-compensated in trying to make it sound 'human', i.e. some of the timing is a little bit too 'off' in places - even I'd be thinking, '"one more take..." :scared: . Also, sounds to me like most of the notes are played as downstrokes (?) where in reality you'd be doing many of them in those kind of phrases as hammer-ons/pull-offs (that could be quoted out of context..... :hihi: ). Perhaps have a look at the setup and see what you can assign to in terms of legato functions/velocity switching? I'd also have a think for something a bit bluesy like that of including some double stops, as it's all single note bends, and of course much of blues type lead is in the interaction between the strings during bends.

deastman wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:55 am
Frantz wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:17 am I like the moody side of Bansaw Crown. Very well done. :tu:
The title is obviously a Eurythmics reference.
"It looks like you are not a native English speaker." - Bro, I am British, so my native language is English! :hihi: Anyway, thanks for the encouraging comments Frantz.
@deatsman Aactually Dave Stewart of the Euyrthmics was born just a few miles from where I was born. I was a big fan of them. "Is it raining with you" is a line from Here Comes the Rain Again, but that didnt cross my mind when titling the song.

Bansaw wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:37 am "It looks like you are not a native English speaker." - Bro, I am British, so my native language is English! :hihi: Anyway, thanks for the encouraging comments Frantz.
@deatsman Aactually Dave Stewart of the Euyrthmics was born just a few miles from where I was born. I was a big fan of them. "Is it raining with you" is a line from Here Comes the Rain Again, but that didnt cross my mind when titling the song.
Interesting. When I Google the phrase https://www.google.com/search?q="is+it+ ... +with+you", the only hits are the Eurythmics song so it does look like it was a subconscious influence since it does not appear to be a common phrase in English.

Top end is a bit overwhelming in the first few minutes. 2 minutes on was more enjoyable as the mix opened up more and had a great airyness.

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 am Guitar does sound a bit 'wrong' to me though. it's a good sound for the piece but I think you've made the mistake a lot of people programming guitars do in that you've over-compensated in trying to make it sound 'human', i.e. some of the timing is a little bit too 'off' in places - even I'd be thinking, '"one more take..." :scared: . Also, sounds to me like most of the notes are played as downstrokes (?) where in reality you'd be doing many of them in those kind of phrases as hammer-ons/pull-offs (that could be quoted out of context..... :hihi: ). Perhaps have a look at the setup and see what you can assign to in terms of legato functions/velocity switching? I'd also have a think for something a bit bluesy like that of including some double stops, as it's all single note bends, and of course much of blues type lead is in the interaction between the strings during bends.
I don't think its ever going to be 100% realistic especially to a guitar player like yourself. Actually my first instrument was a Strat, with a valve amp, used to play some blues.
But I think Orangetree have done a great job with realism and some of the release samples and mutes are terrific. I've only had it a week, so I will grow into it.
Some of the notes were a bit off timing-wise, true.

mindstuff wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:05 pm Top end is a bit overwhelming in the first few minutes. 2 minutes on was more enjoyable as the mix opened up more and had a great airyness.
Yes, that piano should have been turned down a bit in the mix. It was one of those things where I mixed it for a while, and then should have went to bed and then next day listened to it one more time and rendered it.
Also, I just bought Gullfoss EQ and this was the 1st time I used it on a song. Really, really nice tool. But there is a tendency to lean towards a brighter mix if you're not careful. I have to learn to be subtle with it.

@biodiode - thanks for the listen & appreciation 8)

Bansaw wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:11 pm
But I think Orangetree have done a great job with realism and some of the release samples and mutes are terrific. I've only had it a week, so I will grow into it.
Absolutely, got a few of them myself. Does take a while to to work out the best way of doing things given that there are a number of ways of triggering different articulations/playing techniques, and that what's the best way of doing it for one style isn't necessarily for another. I've used them on tracks before meaning to go back and play the parts later, and have decided to leave them in, such is the level of realism you can get from these libraries today.

I like this. It's like.....if Dire Straits did a Bond Theme......

To be picky on the track, I would agree that the top end needs taming a bit in places, especially around the 2k mark. The snare in particular is pulling me out of the music a bit, but it's not disastrous.

I think the guitar sounds great. It's unusual for sure, but characterful in this setting.

Return to “Music Cafe”